Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurling strongholds in footballing counties and vice versa?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think if south Meath (e.g. Kiltale, Kildalkey, Trim, Ratoath etc.), North Kildare (Celbridge, Leixlip, Ardclough, Coill Dubh) and East Westmeath (Clonkill, Raharney, Castlepollard etc.) happened to be in the one county, they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

In Meath, offhand I think there's only a couple of hurling teams north of Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

I think if south Meath (e.g. Kiltale, Kildalkey, Trim, Ratoath etc.), North Kildare (Celbridge, Leixlip, Ardclough, Coill Dubh) and East Westmeath (Clonkill, Raharney, Castlepollard etc.) happened to be in the one county, they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

In Meath, offhand I think there's only a couple of hurling teams north of Navan.

It’s funny that that that is the case. There are a few instances of that I.e. if one combined the Glens of Antrim with East Derry(Dungiven/Slaughneil have hurling pedigree) or South Offaly and West Laois(probably the same size/population as Kilkenny with predominantly hurling only clubs) could be a force to be reckoned with except you have two dual counties who are strong every once and a while(sorry if this is condescending).

What are the hurling areas in Wicklow? Near Wexford I presume? I think that’s a county to grow the game as it’s near the hurling counties, decent population, and crying out for success(again sorry if I am sounding condescending).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What are the hurling areas in Wicklow? .

Glenealy of Leighton Glynn fame is central, closer to south Dublin. Carnew the other great Wicklow club is on Wexford border. A good enough spread really.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Hard to believe that during the 60s the Kerry hurling and football senior championships had the same number of teams

16 teams taking part in both

Hurling in Kerry is getting stronger.

A lot of good hurlers popping up outside of the big 8 senior teams in North Kerry.

Causeway won the Kerry SHC yesterday, first time in 21 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Hard to believe that during the 60s the Kerry hurling and football senior championships had the same number of teams

16 teams taking part in both

At one stage all three of the Tralee clubs also played hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

In Galway south of the motorway is hurling and north of the motorway is football, although there are exceptions and there would be hurling only teams/areas in what would seem North Galway(Turloughmore & Pearses who would have played football at one stage but not sure now)

Around the mid section of the county some neighboring parishes concentrate on hurling and another parish on football(Ahascragh/Foghenagh hurling & Caltra Football, Cappy Hurling & Gabriel’s Football, Abbeyknockmoy Hurling & Monivea Abbey Football, Carnmore Hurling & Claregalway Football) and there would be a crossover in players.

To be fair some of the football areas do have hurling teams(Skehanagh in Menlough Parrish, Sylane in Corofin Parrish & Ballygar, Annaghdown, Mountbellew/Moylough are dual, very few dual clubs for some reason) but the football would take precedence. I don’t think there is the same correlation in south Galway. Loughrea are the only team in South Galway with a football team(A few have underage but don’t have adult teams). Think Kiltormer might have one also.

Galway city is mixed and all sports would nearly be equal(hurling/football/rugby)

To be honest Junior Soccer probably has the biggest numbers in the City. Basketball madly enough seems to be popular in spots.

Connemara is predominately football but just past the City, Moycullen would be a dual club while Spiddeal, Barna/Furbo and Micheal Breathneachs do put out Hurling teams in what would be a football mostly area.

Yeah, Moycullen and Oranmore the only real competitive dual clubs these days, which is strange for a huge county. Moycullen were senior in both last year, and Oranmore are two games away from going up to senior football.

Both are large commuter belts and located close to the City though, so large populations would be a big help to run two codes. Not sure of Moycullen's hurling history but Oranmore only became a competitive football team in the 90s, as the population grew heavily with a load of new estates built and so on.

Athenry were doing ok in football for a while, and Clarinbridge, Kinvara and Craughwell are making huge strides at underage. The former are the only with an adult team though. Again an increasing population in these areas helps hugely

As you say though the likes of Abbeyknockmoy hurling and Monivea football teams are essentially the same, although Monivea footballers would draw a few from the Turloughmore and Craughwell hurling areas.

South Galway tried to make a go of a few adult teams over the years. None ever stuck though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tooreen in Mayo. There are some hurling loving villages on the Roscommon-Galway border. Four Roads won the Connacht club hurling championship in 1988.

My uncle is heavily involved with Tooreen. The passion for the small ball up there is unreal.

They refer to their pitch as the hurling field.

When they get together, they speak of club hurling first and county football second.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

lawred2 wrote: »

second.

Probably because Tooreen is a hurling only club afaik. Some of the players fall in with Aghamore in the football.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Tooreen is in the same parish as Aghamore. They also had some lads that played football for Kilmovee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The last number of posts have had absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

The last number of posts have had absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Neither does this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tremane Hurling Club in Roscommon is basically 4 townlands within the Athleague parish along the Suck

They won a Connacht Senior Club title in 1976 beating the Galway champions in the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

I've been plotting senior clubs on a map. It's not finished yet.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1VIBZimuaRo_YGzJfXkImSSahL39kOy_Q&usp=sharing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1VIBZimuaRo_YGzJfXkImSSahL39kOy_Q&usp=sharing

this may help you for Wexford.

https://gaapitchlocator.net/provinces/leinster/wexford/

Clubs in senior:
    St Martins
    Rapparees
    Ferns
    St Annes
    Faythe Harriers
    Fethard
    Shelmaliers
    Naomh Eanna
    Glynn Barntown
    Oulart the Ballagh
    Rathnure
    Oylegate

Some going!

In Galway, Gort and Gort Inse Guaire are the same team though! Craughwell have been left out /pedant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Thats interesting. I think there is a case for having a Leinster provincial team competing in the All Ireland comprising of players from non Liam McCarthy counties. I think it would be an interesting experiment. A leinster vs Kilkenny AI final now that would be an odd one

I cannot even begin to imagine the logistics and political nightmares that would cause!

jr86 wrote: »
    I cannot even begin to imagine the logistics and political nightmares that would cause!

As the 5th team in Leinster is always going to struggle maybe we could get a Joe McDonagh all star team to go in and compete. No reason why they wouldn't be good enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

As the 5th team in Leinster is always going to struggle maybe we could get a Joe McDonagh all star team to go in and compete. No reason why they wouldn't be good enough.

He is right in fairness about the political considerations. Having such a team competing as the 5th team in Leinster is a no go as the McDonagh counties would lose their star players. You could maybe enter the team at the preliminary qf stage after all those counties have been knocked out but they would have little time to play/train together so would be at a huge disadvantage. But it would be nice to see players from those counties have a realistic shot at winning an All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Austin Stacks no longer have a team, they have now joined up with Tralee Parnells to form a team and play in the intermediate championship, along with Kilgarvan,Kenmare,Dr Crokes and the North Kerry clubs B Teams

St Brendans Ardfert are a senior club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

lawred2 wrote: »
    My uncle is heavily involved with Tooreen. The passion for the small ball up there is unreal.

When they get together, they speak of club hurling first and county football second.
    Tooreen lost to a Oranmore/Maree in the Connacht Intermediate Final. Oranmore went on to win the All Ireland. Tooreen were the strongest opposition Oranmore met in 2018 and Tooreen had two people sent of in final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Clonguish in longford don't have an adult team anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

counties who are strong every once and a while(sorry if this is condescending).

What are the hurling areas in Wicklow? Near Wexford I presume? I think that’s a county to grow the game as it’s near the hurling counties, decent population, and crying out for success(again sorry if I am sounding condescending).

7 senior clubs in Wicklow at the moment. Will be 8 if Arklow or Kilcoole win the intermediate this year (both in semis and going strong).

Wicklow is a bit strange in that the hurling clubs are dotted randomly around the county albeit only Kiltegan in the west.

Div 2A is probably our natural level although our current county team is a bit weak historically. Somoe good talent coming through with our minors doing really well in the celtic league only losing out to Limerick in the latter stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Wolfe Tones, Kilskyre/Moylagh and Gaeil Colmcille (Kells) I think are about it north of Navan. Clann Na nGael in Athboy too actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

This ^^^^

My family is Athboy, we moved to Celbridge when I was 6, I moved back to Kildalkey when I was 30 and now I am in Trim, my cousins are in Delvin, Athboy, Kiltale. There is an area that is about county size in South Meath, North Kildare, and East Westmeath that is traditionally hurling and football is played in the larger towns really only because they are commuter beat since the 1980s. It is hurling area in 3 counties that are associated with football, indeed many of the rural clubs (Ardclough, Kildalkey) have no football and the few footballers go to other bigger town clubs (Trim, Celbridge) to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah, Moycullen and Oranmore the only real competitive dual clubs these days, which is strange for a huge county. Moycullen were senior in both last year, and Oranmore are two games away from going up to senior football.

Both are large commuter belts and located close to the City though, so large populations would be a big help to run two codes. Not sure of Moycullen's hurling history but Oranmore only became a competitive football team in the 90s, as the population grew heavily with a load of new estates built and so on.

Athenry were doing ok in football for a while, and Clarinbridge, Kinvara and Craughwell are making huge strides at underage. The former are the only with an adult team though. Again an increasing population in these areas helps hugely

As you say though the likes of Abbeyknockmoy hurling and Monivea football teams are essentially the same, although Monivea footballers would draw a few from the Turloughmore and Craughwell hurling areas.

South Galway tried to make a go of a few adult teams over the years. None ever stuck though

Monivea/Abbey - Abbeyknockmoy, different clubs but same parish, are the only parish Senior in both. Though Moycullen and Abbey could well swap places in hurling as former going well at the moment while latter look destined for relegation. Don't think Oranmore quite good enough yet to go Senior in football.

MfMan wrote: »
    Monivea/Abbey - Abbeyknockmoy, different clubs but same parish, are the only parish Senior in both. Though Moycullen and Abbey could well swap places in hurling as former going well at the moment while latter look destined for relegation. Don't think Oranmore quite good enough yet to go Senior in football.

I meant dual club as in the one club but two codes. Monivea and Abbeyknockmoy are two separately ran clubs. Well I assume that's how Moycullen operate anyway but maybe the football and hurling are ran separately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Dungiven, Ballinascreen, Lavey and Slaughtneil are the hurling strongholds in Derry but they are also strong football areas, Dungiven and Ballinascreen would prefer hurling I think, I remember people would bring hurling sticks to school whereas the rest of us had never even been to a hurling game in our lives. I've never been to a Derry hurling game, it wouldn't really feel like "my county" as none of players are even from local area (10 minute radius) whereas the football team has many.

This is the big problem for hurling in the weaker counties imo. My county would be 90% hurling but still every club plays football, large fines are imposed on clubs not fulfilling a football game.

In the football counties that I aware of they turn a blind eye to hurling with only a handful of clubs playing. Obviously the county boards of these counties aren't too concerned if they let this practice continue. While funding may be an issue it's pointless if the interest isn't there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The northern part of Westmeath is the hurling stronghold in that county. If you take the N4 as the dividing line then most of the hurling clubs in the county are located north/north west of the N4 and Mullingar. There seems to be a good few 'hurling only' clubs but there would be a football club in the same parish. A lot of the clubs here would be junior in the football championship. This would be a very rural part of the county, a lot of these clubs are small villages and parishes.

p.s. - I'm not from Westmeath myself so open to further clarification on any of the above!

Yeah anything North of the N4 is all hurling really in Westmeath, theres no duel clubs but a few that are in the same village (Castletown-Geoghan/St.Malachys and Killucan/Raharney). Theres 4 hurling clubs in the south of the county, 5 if you include Mullingar and that covers 2 big towns and around 2/3 of the county. Huge amount of football clubs between Moate and Athlone in particular

Advertisement