Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the GAA really a voluntary organisation?

Options
  • 21-09-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi folks. We all had parents, teachers etc. who gave up their free time coaching and managing us as kids in our local GAA clubs which is wonderful. And as a parent now myself, I am giving back to my local club coaching underage teams. Now older, slower and fatter, I am still playing at junior level myself.

The GAA's website Mission statement states, "The GAA is a community based volunteer organisation promoting Gaelic Games, culture and lifelong participation."

The GAA is a volunteer organisation. We develop and promote Gaelic Games at the core of Irish identity and culture. We are dedicated to ensuring that our family of games, and the values we live, enrich the lives of our members, families and the communities we serve."

Why is there no mention in the media etc of senior club and county managers being paid to manage teams? I've heard figures of €10,000 being offered to senior club and county mangers to carry out the role but it's all kept hush hush or disguised as "mileage" or "expenses"! Not to mention senior county players and their "appearance fees".
    My club membership is over €250 a year with a large proportion undoubtedly going towards the cost of paying a senior manager.
    What are your thoughts? Is this the same in your club and county?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Same in every club and county.

Local gaa lottos being run just to pay for the senior manager. Have a look at the accounts at your local agm. If they win, he is a great manager and gets all the plaudits. If they lose sure he didn't have the players. I'd say 60 euro per night is the very min for a manager and then physio expenses, sliotars hurls etc. Club scene is ruined by these journey men.

I know of mangers training club and county teams at the same time. County manager getting free car, 30 to 40 k min. The manager will then bring in a hurling coach and he will do all the actual training. He'll cost money as well. Ive watched a few training sessions and all the manager does is stand on the sidelines while the coach takes the sessions

More money at intercounty level. If you wanted them to present medals to a local underage team within the county, some of them expect a fee for doing this as well.

The lad who gave up their time to train and actually develop the underage players is quickly forgotten about. He might not even get a access to a ticket and his involvement in the club will cost him money and time.

Getting more and more difficult to get lads to take under age teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I wouldn't begrudge a senior manager getting a few bob to take a team.
    Theyre giving up their time for very little reward or thanks , €60 a night is nothing in the scheme of things club memberships are the big funds for clubs .
    If he's at training two night a week that's 120 euro, whereas if he brings in a big win the money coming in from sponsors would outweigh that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Theyre giving up their time for very little reward or thanks , €60 a night is nothing in the scheme of things club memberships are the big funds for clubs .
    If he's at training two night a week that's 120 euro, whereas if he brings in a big win the money coming in from sponsors would outweigh that easily.
    Hmm.. Big sponsorship on the junior or senior club team. Don't know what sponsorship deals you are getting.

And 60e is the very minimum most lads 80 to 150 a night. Tax free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Grab all association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

So not volunteering then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The reality is there is more and more expertise required in teams now. Less and less clubs have a few lads in the area with both the ability to tick all these boxes, combined with the inclination to do the job. That expertise is now coming at a premium, and it is hard to argue against the fairness of that, as long as the figures are reasonable. Tax breaks is probably the way to go though, to make the thing legitimate and also to put some level of legislation in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

A lot of chancers out there taking big bucks out of clubs if you ask me. I think the GAA has a couple of tiers to it. Had my six year old down training yesterday and they were on the astro pitches, with the juvenile and main pitch full of kids playing Go Games. Everyone involved in providing that are doing it from the goodness of their heart. The adult side of things is another story with a lot of managers doing alright from it and inter county is probably another story again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

RTT wrote: »
    Hi folks. We all had parents, teachers etc. who gave up their free time coaching and managing us as kids in our local GAA clubs which is wonderful. And as a parent now myself, I am giving back to my local club coaching underage teams. Now older, slower and fatter, I am still playing at junior level myself.

The GAA's website Mission statement states, "The GAA is a community based volunteer organisation promoting Gaelic Games, culture and lifelong participation."

The GAA is a volunteer organisation. We develop and promote Gaelic Games at the core of Irish identity and culture. We are dedicated to ensuring that our family of games, and the values we live, enrich the lives of our members, families and the communities we serve."

Why is there no mention in the media etc of senior club and county managers being paid to manage teams? I've heard figures of €10,000 being offered to senior club and county mangers to carry out the role but it's all kept hush hush or disguised as "mileage" or "expenses"! Not to mention senior county players and their "appearance fees".
    My club membership is over €250 a year with a large proportion undoubtedly going towards the cost of paying a senior manager.
    What are your thoughts? Is this the same in your club and county?
    Because its under the counter payments, nothing can really be proven etc. It will be same in a lot of places. Not really sure what you can do unless club management/club as a whole
    kala85 wrote: »
    Same in every club and county.

Local gaa lottos being run just to pay for the senior manager. Have a look at the accounts at your local agm. If they win, he is a great manager and gets all the plaudits. If they lose sure he didn't have the players. I'd say 60 euro per night is the very min for a manager and then physio expenses, sliotars hurls etc. Club scene is ruined by these journey men.

I know of mangers training club and county teams at the same time. County manager getting free car, 30 to 40 k min. The manager will then bring in a hurling coach and he will do all the actual training. He'll cost money as well. Ive watched a few training sessions and all the manager does is stand on the sidelines while the coach takes the sessions

More money at intercounty level. If you wanted them to present medals to a local underage team within the county, some of them expect a fee for doing this as well.

The lad who gave up their time to train and actually develop the underage players is quickly forgotten about. He might not even get a access to a ticket and his involvement in the club will cost him money and time.

Getting more and more difficult to get lads to take under age teams.
    Getting more difficult to get people to volunteer in everything not simply coaching underage teams. Coaching at underage takes up a lot of time. One/two training sessions a week as well as maybe a match a week(depends hugely on sport/level) which can add up to a large chunk of time.
    If some clubs are using a large portion of their fundraising to pay a coach they should be looking very hard at themselves.
    Blame can be put on the clubs and committees of clubs for agreeing to pay these people as much as the people who're coaching and getting that money.
    You will regularly see coaches at top level in many sports delegating to others to do actual specifics on drills etc. The head coach/manager designs the session/has aims for the session to achieve and the others then put in place plan to acheive aim. Thats very regular. Nothing strange at all about that.
    Theyre giving up their time for very little reward or thanks, €60 a night is nothing in the scheme of things club memberships are the big funds for clubs.
    How much money do you really think a club would get from sponsors for a big win that would match or get anywhere near that outlay on a coach?
    The reality is there is more and more expertise required in teams now. Less and less clubs have a few lads in the area with both the ability to tick all these boxes, combined with the inclination to do the job. That expertise is now coming at a premium, and it is hard to argue against the fairness of that, as long as the figures are reasonable. Tax breaks is probably the way to go though, to make the thing legitimate and also to put some level of legislation in place.
    Tax breaks isnt really the way forward. There does need to be some regulation though on payment though you will still see breaks in rules around it.

Advertisement