Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

Options
  • 20-07-2019 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Well, um, according to both the New York Times and the Washington Post we should:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1151494027809886213
    https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1151170151427006464
    Look they're not wrong obviously, in the context of the times attitudes were different then and I'm sure we'd approach things differently today, but my God lighten up ffs. Are there some people who have to look everything through the prism of identity politics?

The US and the world made great strides in both technological advancements with the apollo moon landings and social justice with Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights, no one was saying life was perfect then, but there's so many miserable people out there and who can't help but find faults in everything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

People in the West really seem to strive to find problems.

Why don't we rewrite history while we're at it. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Yeap, annnnnnd whitey didn't dare visit the dark side of the moon, only the light side. Too right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Soviet Union put females and minorities into space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No small thanks to the nazis and Hitler…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What an awkward framing of the question op.

It is very right that we recognise both the prejudices of the past and where we are today in terms of creating a more equal society.

Listen to any history of science and technology, there will be stories of great thinkers who were alienated from the institutions of the day.

It's more a recognition of how far we have come, and how much further we must go to ensure that all human ingenuity can contribute to our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Christ I'm pisst atm and even i chuckled at this .... feck off will ya tis a sat night life is sh*te enough, can we be saved from the younger generation and all the grand standing they bring...... get me another can Cheers and yip I'm a typical irish person who likes a drink on a sat night.... now feck off with this childish behavior because life is tough once ya grow a pair of balls ..... stop all this shi*te cos he's black cos he's gay cos he's white, history is history, make your own and be proud of it .... buuurp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

But American kids never got told any of that in school, my better half never heard on Yuri Gagarin and Valentina Tereshkova until he moved to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Generation Snowflake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Should we be wary of celebrating the moon landings given it was white and male?

Some people are desperate to be racist!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is there nothing white men can't do?! :mad:

If only Nasa had been thinking about 50 years hence instead of getting on with the job in hand we'd have to pick different holes in a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oh ffs.

Can't we celebrate anything nowadays without all this "woke" stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Seamai wrote: »
    But American kids never got told any of that in school, my better have never heard on Yuri Gagarin and Valentina Tereshkova until he moved to Ireland.

So?, another uneducated person!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And animals... the most inclusive death ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

People in the West really seem to strive to find problems.

For commercial reasons.

There was a time it was genuine, now its done for clicks.

'Man fired for not wearing skirt' type stories are now just another tactic for slow news days.

Its cheap irresponsible journalism.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Jump

The Soviet Union had this very controversial idea, that no matter what your background, identify or heritage, you can work towards the future of your society. Incendiary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If only Nasa had been thinking about 50 years hence instead of getting on with the job in hand we'd have to pick different holes in a great achievement.

Jump apparently.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The Soviet Union had this very controversial idea, that no matter what your background, identify or heritage, you can work towards the future of your society. Incendiary stuff.

As long as you believe in communism, don't step out of line, don't challenge authority...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ha, I thought they were parody tweets. The country seems to be slowly burning down around their ears over the last 10-15 years, but this is what US "news" media focus on.

I'd say NASA in 2019 have as much chance of replicating a project like that (let alone sending humans to Mars) as, well, Ireland has of putting a cis/trans man or woman into space!

Perhaps the media should be worrying about that evidence of decline instead of fretting over the gonads (edit: and skin melanin levels) of their space scientists and engineers.

meeeeh wrote: »
    As long as you believe in communism, don't step out of line, challenge authority...

That was also going on of course.
    But compared to the rest of the world, which would not be so democratic to our standards today, they made amazing improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The banality of progressivism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It really was swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

What an awkward framing of the question op.

It is very right that we recognise both the prejudices of the past and where we are today in terms of creating a more equal society.

No one's disputing that, I made references in the right to recognising to social equality in future achievements.

But in the context of those times we know attitudes were different then, no one is celebrating it for being white and male I don't think are they?

The US was nearly 90% non-hispanic white back in 1969, today its 60% and declining, the country is far more diverse now. Of course it was going to be overwhelmingly white then.

But why the need to make a point of it? Most of us are aware the social attitudes are completely different then and wouldn't be acceptable now, but we're celebrating the achievements in spite of those social attitudes.

That was also going on of course.
    But compared to the rest of the world, which would not be so democratic to our standards today, they made amazing improvements.

I grew up in a country with similar ideas. There are definitely certain advantages and progress was made but a lot of it was either for show or out of economic necessity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Psychlops wrote: »
    Cop on.
    I don't think the OP agrees, but yeah, the stories - not worth giving oxygen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Oh ffs.

Can't we celebrate anything nowadays without all this "woke" stuff?

It's hard to celebrate when you're asleep I suppose.

;)

The world is fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I don't think the OP agrees, but yeah, the stories - not worth giving oxygen to.

I wouldn't normally, if it was from second rate news outlet no one's ever heard of it. But its the New York Times and the Washington Post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone been watching Chasing the Moon? Kennedy Admin wanted a black astronaut but although they found a man - Ed Dwight who fitted the bill in terms of his qualities Chuck Yeager, who was in charge of the pilot training programme turned out to be a racist ****wit so he got the bums rush and was eventually edged out of the final list of astronauts in 1965.

Advertisement