Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Scary that you could get a life sentence based on that evidence.

Yeah, all they had on him was the motive and the opportunity...and the actual body of the murder victim hidden in a concealed water tank on his farm that only he and a few others knew about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Faugheen wrote: »
    Odelay wrote: »
    I think it would have been terrible if he wasn’t found guilty. Glad he isn't getting away with it.

Same. Think people need to learn the difference between circumstantial evidence and no evidence.
    When the guy is in the dock at the beginning of the trial the jury do not know if he is guilty or not guilty. Based on the evidence that the prosecution presented there is no way that they now know that he is guilty.

kneemos wrote: »
    Sure it looks suspicious,but it could just as easily have been someone else that dumped the body in the tank.

Then they snuck into his house and looked up how long it takes a body to decompose in water on his laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Then they snuck into his house and looked up how long it takes a body to decompose in water on his laptop.

Are you imagining things?

The searches did not mention water

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Are you imagining things?

The searches did not mention water

“Gardaí also found evidence that a home computer had been used to search for the rate of decomposition of human remains in water.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0501/1046814-patrick-quirke-trial/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not surprised that it went to majority verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Said with scary conviction! Just hope that if any misfortune befalls you and you end up on trial, that the jurors will be open minded :)

I used always have great confidence in jurys up until the Belfast trial last year.
    It's was scary to think that some of the one's on Twotter could end up on a jury!

Its important to note that the guards did a shambles of a job in this case, real amateur stuff.

What would you have done differently?
    Gardai arrested the suspect & clearly put enough evidence together for the DPP to decide that suspect should be charged.
    Looks like they did exactly what they are supposed to do.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Gardai arrested the suspect & clearly put enough evidence together for the DPP to decide that suspect should be charged.

That his body wasn't found sooner was one of the main things I've heard mentioned!

Based on what the media told us, I would have had a hard time finding him guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

What was the judges directive this morning?

Oh, and I was full sure he’d shout from the docks “she was in on it too”

• Advertisement

I do think that an innocent defendant should always take the stand regardless of what their defence team advises them.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wrong. The search took place more than once.

The only one that took place after Bobby Ryan disappeared was a year and a half after

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/human-body-decomposition-search-carried-out-on-a-computer-seized-in-quirke-house-court-told-1.3833977

The other, the one before his son died, also took place two years before Bobby Ryan died. That alone makes the searches meaningless

Granted I got my dates wrong, but reading that article you linked doesn’t make me any less convinced.

“Gardalso found evidence that a home computer had been used to search for the rate of decomposition of human remains in water.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0501/1046814-patrick-quirke-trial/

The link I have already given gives the exact searches that were used and the exact articles that were read, which were not about decomposition in water

And it gives the dates of the second searches - a year and a half after the murder with the first searches at least two years before the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Unless you were in the courtroom & heard all of the evidence, you can't really comment on whether this verdict is correct.

Media may not have reported everything / may have been instructed not to report everything / put their own spin on things to sell papers

If they spent 20 hours deliberating the jurors have clearly given this sufficient thought & not rushed into a verdict

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

bubblypop wrote: »

From the Gardai evidence in the trial it sounded like the crime scene investigation was like something out of the Naked Gun. Frank Drebbin wouldn't be bloody in it with their carry on.

The State Pathologist didn't even bother his hole going down to it.

Unless you were in the courtroom & heard all of the evidence, you can't really comment on whether this verdict is correct.

Media may not have reported everything / may have been instructed not to report everything / put their own spin on things to sell papers

If they spent 20 hours deliberating the jurors have clearly given this sufficient thought & not rushed into a verdict

You really need to read up on how the media can report court cases if you think this is a possibility.

Granted I got my dates wrong, but reading that article you linked doesn’t make me any less convinced.

Try this one then

Ryan was murdered in 2014

Searches about body decomposition took place before his son died

But his son died in August 2012

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-killed-in-trailer-accident-on-family-dairy-farm-26885315.html

Did he plan pre-August 2012 to murder someone and not get around to it until a couple of years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

You really need to read up on how the media can report court cases if you think this is a possibility.
    Spin may be the wrong word

More emphasis on certain parts than others is really what I mean

Rest of the point still stands

Try this one then

Ryan was murdered in 2014

Searches about body decomposition took place before his son died

But his son died in August 2012

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-killed-in-trailer-accident-on-family-dairy-farm-26885315.html

Did he plan pre-August 2012 to murder someone and not get around to it until a couple of years later?

Bobby Ryan went missing in 2011...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Its important to note that the guards did a shambles of a job in this case, real amateur stuff.

I didn't seem that way to me. The defence certainly tried to portray that way but I don't think any of their points were of much consequence. My reading of the media reports was that the guards did pretty much what you would expect of them. One might argue that they did exceptionally well, given that the evidence they gathered has secured a murder conviction.

• Advertisement

The link I have already given gives the exact searches that were used and the exact articles that were read, which were not about decomposition in water

And it gives the dates of the second searches - a year and a half after the murder with the first searches at least two years before the murder.

They weren't 2 years before the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

no dna in the van ? was the seat forward or back ?, where is his phone and clothes ? no murder scene , house redecorated after the murder , the kids away that night , the van found really quickly by I think Mary , pulling down posters , lying about hotel bookings , I really feel sorry for quirke as evidence is weak ,and I am a good man to convict ,but so sad for his wife who has also lost a son , betrayed by her husband and sister in law ,
    sorry for imelda ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Said with scary conviction! Just hope that if any misfortune befalls you and you end up on trial, that the jurors will be open minded :)

It's meant to be beyond reasonable doubt, therefore when a verdict is given it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. When people are surprised it tends to suggest that it wasn't beyond reasonable doubt, in fact it's more of a lottery. Effectively you'd be willing to bet the farm on him having done it, it's an extremely onerous standard.

From what I read in the media, I couldn't see how any reasonable person could consider that the standard of beyond reasonable doubt had been achieved.

This is likely to be overturned on appeal.

kerry cow wrote: »
    no dna in the van ? was the seat forward or back ?, where is his phone and clothes ? no murder scene , house redecorated after the murder , the kids away that night , the van found really quickly by I think Mary , pulling down posters , lying about hotel bookings , I really feel sorry for quirke as evidence is weak ,and I am a good man to convict ,but so sad for his wife who has also lost a son , betrayed by her husband and sister in law ,
    sorry for imelda ,

Just ignore the overwhelming evidence against Quirke then.

I love the way some people are calling the Quirke evidence ‘weak’ then point fingers at the equally circumstantial evidence against Mary Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

People saying they're surprised he was convicted must have been listening to different reports to me.

Either he was guilty or he was very, very unlucky with coincidences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lowry seems a bit loolah. How she was getting so much action is beyond me.

Yeah, all they had on him was the motive and the opportunity...and the actual body of the murder victim hidden in a concealed water tank on his farm that only he and a few others knew about.

Opportunity? Loads of people had the opportunity as is the case in most murder trials. The body was not found on his farm. Nobody can say how he died, when he died, nobody witnessed a struggle. I don't know whether Quirke did it or not, no more than you do, but the guilty verdict is nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Surely an appeal is on the cards. I can’t see how they can convict someone when there is no hard evidence. Thinking someone is guilty is very different to knowing someone has committed a crime. The jury have misunderstood “beyond a reasonable doubt” in my opinion.

Also the part with the notepad was a joke. It was like someone using a oujia board to get a message from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Arghus wrote: »
    People saying they're surprised he was convicted must have been listening to different reports to me.

Either he was guilty or he was very, very unlucky with coincidences.

I'd say that they mean the reports they heard were not sufficient to prove beyond reasonable doubt to them.

I felt he was guilty but i also felt the case was built on slightly shaky ground too

• Advertisement

Lowry seems a bit loolah. How she was getting so much action is beyond me.

I remember I was on a night out some time in 2012 with people close enough from the area.
    I got the impression that the himself and the people who lived in the house around where he was last seen were characters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement