Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most useless/wastelful thing every bought

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Ryan Tubridy's Christmas dinner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A one bedroom apartment in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When you see the amount of ridiculous useless items on sale in Lidl and Aldi etc during certain promotions you realise the world must be full of complete idiots if there's a market for that kind of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

When you see the amount of ridiculous useless items on sale in Lidl and Aldi etc during certain promotions you realise the world must be full of complete idiots if there's a market for that kind of rubbish

And destined for landfill soon after purchase too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

€1000 on a racing bike. Spent most of its life in a garage

Then when I heard about the bike to work scheme I spent €1000 on a mountain bike

Both bikes live in a garage

I really should stop being a lazy fecker and actually use them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Candie wrote: »

I bought my chap a bean-to-cup coffee maker and he can't be bothered with any of it when the option is there to just put a capsule in another machine and switch it on. I'm sure some people would love it but for most coffee drinkers a Keurig/Nespresso is probably the easier route. It was an absolute fortune too.

But a bean to cup machine would be more convenient than a nespresso.

But a bean to cup machine would be more convenient than a nespresso.

I don't drink coffee so I've never used it, I only know what I see - a waste of cash with handles and impressive noises. :(

Maybe he just prefers the keurig, but it's probably more about it being easier to clean or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

A water rower like the one Frank has in House of Cards. It takes up half the living room. Been on it twice in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

PlayStation plus
    Or a safe spud gun. Literally did not have the power to expel potato out of nozzle entirely self defeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't drink coffee so I've never used it, I only know what I see - a waste of cash with handles and impressive noises. :(

Maybe he just prefers the keurig, but it's probably more about it being easier to clean or something like that.

can I have it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

One of those stupid paint roller brushes that you actually pour the paint into, with a plastic edge for doing the cutting in out of the Kleeneze catalogue many years ago. Did not work, and I've got a great eye and steady hand for cutting in anyway.

A few times I'd have got stung by buying things from the same or similar catalogues that used to come through the door. They looked so impressive and easy to use, but were completely rubbish when you got them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blaizes wrote: »
    My little pony castle, a huge expensive piece of plastic junk that had to be built then kept falling apart. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stupid bread baking machine..useless piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A fishing rod.

I used to fish quite a bit when in my teens and into my early twenties. All stopped when I got married.

Bought a fishing rod , reel , all the gear when in my early thirties, bought four more rods and a couple a hundred euros worth of equipment till I realised I'd no interest in fishing.
    Also she told me , she'd divorce me if I bought another rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Prize bonds. Never won anything, amount got eaten away by inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

peasant wrote: »
    Stupid bread baking machine..useless piece of kit

I bought one too. Hopeless. It produced this lumpen, misshapen block of god knows what that was burned on the outside and raw mush in the middle. Now it's resting beneath the kitchen sink, never to be used again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I lived in Doha for a year. It's a pretty miserable city with damn all to do but lots of nice 5* hotels, so I decided to become a member of the gym, leisure centre and spa for about €1,500 for 12 months to make it bearable. Didn't work and I left two months later, having gone like 4 times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Space Shuttle program cost $196bn in direct costs.

Even before its first flight it was responsible for the loss of the Skylab space station and all that habitable volume.

The huge size and wings* were needed to sell it to the military.
    They didn't use it much.

And commercial launches to GEO dried up when the penny dropped about how dangerous it was having a liquid fuelled booster inside your spacecraft.

And Galileo could have a ring side seat for Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 hitting Jupiter if it wasn't for Shuttle delays. So it's quite possible that this white elephant has doomed humanity as the planetary defence system wasn't built in time to stop the asteroid that will kill us all.

And the much touted "Satellite retrieval" ability was only used on 4 flights. And only one of those was for commercial satellites, and it would have been cheaper to replace the satellites.

Huge size meant huge cost. It meant a trip to the ISS cost a billion dollars at a time the Russians were selling seats on Soyuz for $35m a pop.

Even after it's retirement it is still costing NASA billions a year. They are paying Boeing and Lockheed to re-use the engines and side boosters** from the Shuttle in the SLS. They'd already spent billions developing Ares from the same bits.

* Wings - Would Columbia have survived if it had smaller wings ?
    ** SRB - Challenger was lost so they could recycle steel tubes used in the boosters

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Tinted moisturizer in the wrong shade for my skin. Shoes I ordered online that turned out to be the wrong size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

This could be the new bargain alerts thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I bought my chap a bean-to-cup coffee maker and he can't be bothered with any of it when the option is there to just put a capsule in another machine and switch it on. I'm sure some people would love it but for most coffee drinkers a Keurig/Nespresso is probably the easier route. It was an absolute fortune too.

But isn't the idea that it's fully automated and you just press the button? Surely if it is less bother than some other machine it isn't serving is purpose? I would be tempted to get one but not if there is some unknown amount of hassle waiting for me

I wasted a few 100 quid on an ebike conversion kit from Chinky land that I got very little use out of. Few months after getting it I changed job and it was of little use to me. The worst was just before I changed job I spent another 400 quids on posh LiFePo4 batteries for it that have been almost unused since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But isn't the idea that it's fully automated and you just press the button? Surely if it is less bother than some other machine it isn't serving is purpose? I would be tempted to get one but not if there is some unknown amount of hassle waiting for me

I suspect that it's not actually a bean to cup machine but rather an espresso machine. Maybe.
    Or, perhaps, it takes longer to heat up or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I bought a gimp mask for a fancy dress party that was cancelled so I never got a chance to wear it. Absolute waste of €30. Pure PVC it was as well.

will add link to donedeal shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

A treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I bought a gimp mask for a fancy dress party that was cancelled so I never got a chance to wear it. Absolute waste of €30. Pure PVC it was as well.

will add link to donedeal shortly.

Yeah......right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
    A racehorse. Absolute black hole for money, and the I’d have jumped better myself.
    Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Sounds like the lad who sold you that took you for a ride.....:pac:

And left you saddled with debt! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Bought (another) bass guitar 6 months ago. Decided to sand it down to natural wood. Took it all apart. Sanded it for a couple of hours and got a pain in my arse with it. It's still in various parts, part-sanded, and looks like staying that way for the foreseeable.

Advertisement