Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fog Warning for Ireland 19th-20th Nov

Options
  • 19-11-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Met Eireann have a Weather Warning in place this evening:
    STATUS ORANGE

Fog Warning for Ireland
    Mist will thicken into fog in many places tonight. This will lead to greatly reduced visibilities and poor driving conditions. The fog is likely to clear only slowly during Thursday.

Issued:Wednesday 19 November 2014 14:00
    Valid:Wednesday 19 November 2014 20:00 to Thursday 20 November 2014 12:00

Also a risk of some Frost based on their latest forecast but the GFS model has jumped from a low of 1c on 06z to a low of 6c on the 12z which is interesting and confusing.

However whether or not Frost does add to the woes, dense FOG will cause issues for those travelling tonight and in the morning so allow extra time.

Visibility forecast for the morning from NMM4

15827017771_4a692afb53_b.jpgviewimage.pbx-10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Fog is so under rated. Such a beutiful weather phenomenon.

I remember flying over Brussels, there was a blanket of fog/mist. High rise buildings poking through. Looked great.

Wish all commuters well tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

No fog so far in galway city or along the connemara coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Nabber wrote: »

I remember flying over Brussels, there was a blanket of fog/mist. High rise buildings poking through. Looked great.

And in Dublin all we see is the Poolbeg chinmeys. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I know it's hell for drivers (I have to drive 30 miles to work every day) but I agree about fog. It somehow calms everything down, and deadens sounds.

But be careful tomorrow. Always remember to drive at A SPEED THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO STOP WITHIN THE DISTANCE YOU CAN SEE TO BE CLEAR!.

It's amazing how many lunatics inist on driving at high speed in low visibilty. We've only had one major traffic pile up here but another one will happen because drivers won't slow down. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

cml387 wrote: »
    I know it's hell for drivers (I have to drive 30 miles to work every day) but I agree about fog. It somehow calms everything down, and deadens sounds.

But be careful tomorrow. Always remember to drive at A SPEED THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO STOP WITHIN THE DISTANCE YOU CAN SEE TO BE CLEAR!.

It's amazing how many lunatics inist on driving at high speed in low visibilty, with no lights on. We've only had one major traffic pile up here but another one will happen because drivers won't slow down. Rant over.

FYP

Stay safe everyone, fog is lovely except when you're driving or sailing in it :eek:

(apologies if this is O/T)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yeah agree,something eerily calm about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The fog is rolling in, it's accumulating in benburb-street. It's getting bad out there now with dense pockets of fog on the back-roads along streams and rivers, so slow down...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just been out for a look here (Galway city east) and it's as bad as the last couple of mornings.. Gauging distance is incredibly difficult with other vehicles due to the 'flare' from both headlights and taillights, so take your time and be safe on your travels this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

All clear here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just looked out the window where I am in Cork City and absolutely nothing from what I can see....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Inversions are pretty cool, Vancouver gets them often enough and the view from the slopes is spectacular.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/fog-inversion-over-vancouver-alexis-birkill.jpg

Foggy here in Dublin city centre but not quite as bad as I was expecting. I'd imagine any poorly lit roads will make for a nervy drive this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Bit of fog around Cork City but nothing particularly heavy or noteworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

circadian wrote: »
    Inversions are pretty cool, Vancouver gets them often enough and the view from the slopes is spectacular.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/fog-inversion-over-vancouver-alexis-birkill.jpg

Foggy here in Dublin city centre but not quite as bad as I was expecting. I'd imagine any poorly lit roads will make for a nervy drive this morning.

Further out towards Lucan its alot worst

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was driving to work from ennis to shannon at 7.30am this morning and parts of the journey had visability of less than 30 feet

Didn't stop morons tailgating and undertaking each other on the motorway though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Plenty of fog here in Galway city area since early this morning.

Bloody cold too. I hate the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The fog appears to have actually thickened in Cork City since this morning cos there was nothing when I was on my way to work this morning, but now it's really foggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Visibility is about 100m or so on the Meath-Dublin border at Mulhuddart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

leahyl wrote: »
    The fog appears to have actually thickened in Cork City since this morning cos there was nothing when I was on my way to work this morning, but now it's really foggy!

Yeah it has significantly thickened here in D2 in the last couple of hours. Visibility seems to be around 200/250m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Down to 50 metres vis in Knock

METAR EIKN 201400Z 12004KT 080V150 0050 R27/0200N FG VV002 06/06 Q1022 NOSIG=

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's been perfectly clear here in Bray all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Can barely see anything out the window in Docklands, D4 I quite like it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭jacool

Was heavy in Carrigaline this morning. The 08:00 headlight count was over 90%, which is high for this part of Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thin fog here this afternooon after been nice and sunny this morning.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Fog has got really bad in Firhouse and is actually worse now than this morning.
    Was in Rathmines earlier and it almost had disappeared but noticeably thicker out here.
    Visibility down to about 80m.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Fog has got really bad in Firhouse and is actually worse now than this morning.
    Was in Rathmines earlier and it almost had disappeared but noticeably thicker out here.
    Visibility down to about 80m.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just talked to my missus who drove up to Belfast this morning. Apparently fog started at Sandyford and didn't stop until the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fog has lifted a little in Castlebar but it remains very murky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fog has Cleared the Carlow/Wicklow border but remains very dense in Carlow Town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It lifted a little here in D2, but now it's back to 200m visibility, and the sun is basically gone, so might thicken up a bit more later. Glad I'm not driving home tonight.

Edit: seems to thickening quite rapidly at the minute actually, might be less than 200m visibility now. I'll get a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Never Lifted in Newbridge , getting a lot thicker now also

Advertisement