Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Seachtar Na Casca

Options
  • 22-09-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

On TG4 now, hopefully its decent. At the start of it it mentioned the occupations of the 7 signatories. One was referred to as "a cripple". Was that Ceannt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

On another matter the narrator sounds very like Brendan Gleeson. I didn't think he was líofa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not crazy about the re-enacted scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭baldbear

On another matter the narrator sounds very like Brendan Gleeson. I didn't think he was líofa

It's Brendan allright. I like it so far. Great that it's covering each of the 7.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0921/1224279369271.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Turns out Mac Diarmada was "the cripple". TG4 do excellent documentary shows which is exceptional with their limited budget, hopefully this one is good. Looks promising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The first, on Clarke, was good - absolutely accurate that he was the revered fount of the revolution.

MacDiarmada was crippled by polio as a child, and always had to walk with a stick. They were looking for shorthand descriptions.

Not sure if the other six programmes are showing nightly or weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Not crazy about the re-enacted scenes.

It seems to be the way with documentaries these days - throw in some Z list TV actor to spout a few lines and somehow we're supposed to get a greater 'insight' into the period. It annoys me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

On TG4 now, hopefully its decent. At the start of it it mentioned the occupations of the 7 signatories. One was referred to as "a cripple". Was that Ceannt?

As Quality Mark said, that was MacDonnagh, due to polio as a child.

Poor man had to walk from the front garden of the Rotunda hospital all the way to the prison without his cane after they surrendered. Took him an hour and a half longer than everyone else to get ther, but he kept his head high!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    As Quality Mark said, that was MacDonnagh, due to polio as a child.

Poor man had to walk from the front garden of the Rotunda hospital all the way to the prison without his cane after they surrendered. Took him an hour and a half longer than everyone else to get ther, but he kept his head high!

Mac Diarmada, not MacDonagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

MacDiarmada became crippled by polio as an adult, not as a child. He was in his mid twenties when it happened.

Enjoyed last night's episode, actually liked the use of re-enactments on this occasion, thought they added to it. Looking forward to their take on Connolly.

JohnFalstaff, is there a good biography of MacDiarmada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I would recommend Gerard MacAtasney's book Seán MacDiarmada: Mind of the Revolution. It's well researched and well written.

Although you're hardly spoiled for choice, it's the only biography out there for MacDiarmada as far as I'm aware - which is unusual considering the central role he played in the events leading up to the Rising. I think we'll be seeing a lot more interest in these men in the next few years with the centenary approaching.

Thanks, JohnFalstaff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought it was excellent. It's weekly but for some reason my sky+ won't series link on it. Wasn't Brendan Gleeson an Irish teacher before he became an actor?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent. It's weekly but for some reason my sky+ won't series link on it. Wasn't Brendan Gleeson an Irish teacher before he became an actor?

He taught secondary school - but I think I read somewhere that he taught drama and English.

I really liked Gleeson in The Treaty - he played Collins really well IMO. I don't think this is still around - or even been released on DVD - but well worth a search to try. I have an old video of it from back when it first came out in the early 90s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

MarchDub wrote: »
    He taught secondary school - but I think I read somewhere that he taught drama and English.

I really liked Gleeson in The Treaty - he played Collins really well IMO. I don't think this is still around - or even been released on DVD - but well worth a search to try. I have an old video of it from back when it first came out in the early 90s.

My grandfather (Long since deceased) taped it when it was first aired and I'm fortunate enough to have it still. I don't know if it still works, but I rewatched it 2 or 3 years ago. I think it is on sale somewhere on the internet, remember seeing an add for it.

There's a few sections on Youtube - here's one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDQ6qR9Ow7E and another where Cathal Brugha confronts Eamon De Valera over the Treaty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99aZIm1DZVY

Mac Diarmada, not MacDonagh.

Sorry was tired and not thinking right!!!!

On youtube I found a song under the title Rebel Heart - James Connolly.

I have yet to watch the series its on, but it looks good. Anyone here see it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

B'fhearr liom a bheith ag éisteacht le James Connolly ó Christy Moore. Tá sé ar fáil ar an albam Prosperous (1972). Tá sé níos fearr ná leagan ón Wolfe Tones nó grúpaí mar sin.

Saw the first episode, on Clarke, wolfpawnat, and it was right on the spot. Looking forward to the others.

Dionysus, nach iontach an amhrán agus an leagan é sin! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj0X7nwKCGs

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Annoyed that they used the tricolour.. It was a green flag with a harp in the middle that they used in 1916... Other than that a great doc..

Stange seeing the old film footage with a union jack on top of the GPO.. Very strange..

• Advertisement

high heels wrote: »
    Annoyed that they used the tricolour.. It was a green flag with a harp in the middle that they used in 1916... Other than that a great doc..

Stange seeing the old film footage with a union jack on top of the GPO.. Very strange..

I think both flags were flying - the harp and the Tricolour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I think both flags were flying - the harp and the Tricolour.

Yes, the Tricolour was used in 1916.

The was also the Irish republic flag was used, if I am not mistaken! It is seen burned a bit in a lot of post rebellion photos of the damage to Sackville street (now O'Connell street)

ie_rep16.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20 narky

high heels wrote: »

I agree it looked strange alright.

I thought the programme was quite good and the reenactment scenes added to the interviews and narration. I'm looking forward to the next one on Connolly.

I hope they bring the series out on DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It was excellent

TG4 do some fantastic documentaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Anywhere to see it online lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

I had this marked to watch a couple of weeks ago and then completely forgot :mad:.
    Is it repeated at all? Or else any online links would be good. Thanks.

I have to use rabbit ears with my tv :( TG4 doesnt come up on it! well it does but it is really fuzzy! And never in colour!

• Advertisement

TG4 Player: http://www.tg4.tv/ and down on the right there.

Advertisement