Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyhaise Ground Temp Dec 2008 and Black Ice

Options
  • 17-11-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi can anyone tell me how I could find the ground temps for Ballyhaise on 4th Dec 2008 in the morning and if so would black ice have been possible.Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Here is a link for the Met.ie monthly weather summaries, once there just select year and month/period.

http://http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

I do remember that around dec 08 was pretty cold a lot of the time so black ice would certainly have been possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The Met Eireann weather diary entry for 4th Dec 2008 reports that following a showery day, ground temps fell to -2.0C overnight at Ballyhaise so black ice could well have formed
    http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2008-Dec.pdf - see page 8

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Here is a clip from p.8 of the pdf showing ground temp at Ballyhaise was -2.

''Thursday 4th: Rain and drizzle cleared during the night to give a showery
    day. Slight to sharp frost in inland areas at first. Showers became more frequent
    and heavy during the afternoon, some thundery, but many eastern areas
    remained dry with sunny spells. Light westerly winds overnight, becoming
    fresh southwesterly in northern areas before easing again during the evening
    Rainfall: 3 to 14mm, heaviest at Birr
    Temperature: max. 6°C to 11°C, min. 2°C to 7°C, ground temperatures
    down to -2°C at Ballyhaise
    Sunshine: trace to 5 hours, sunniest at Dublin Airport''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

An hourly breakdown here, the air temp was as low as -2.9C so ground temps would have been a few degrees lower again, as people have said black ice definitely likely

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03979&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2008&mes=12&day=04&hora=18

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cavanbhoy

Thank you all for all your help

Hi Harps Could you explain the likehood of black ice on Dec 4th around 8/9 am thanks in layman terms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If this is for a road accident case, you will have to go directly to the Met to get anything remotely admissable.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Just seen this.

IMO opinion extremely unlikely to be black ice on morning of 4th. The quoted ground temperature is measured on grass and it would need to be colder than -2C for black ice especially with 15km/h breeze, air temp of +3C and higher earlier in night during the drizzle.

The low temp Harps referred to is on the morning of the 3rd.

Having said the above I fully agree with Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

axe2grind wrote: »
    Just seen this.

IMO opinion extremely unlikely to be black ice on morning of 4th. The quoted ground temperature is measured on grass and it would need to be colder than -2C for black ice especially with 15km/h breeze, air temp of +3C and higher earlier in night during the drizzle.

The low temp Harps referred to is on the morning of the 3rd.

Having said the above I fully agree with Larbre34

Would have to disagree. There's a stretch of road not far from my home which is very susceptible to black ice, due to elevation, shelter and lack of sun in winter months. I've driven on this stretch of road and it has been like glass even when air temperatures had risen to 3 or 4C during the morning period. There are times when it will stay icy for days on this stretch of road when every other road I would travel on the way to/from Dublin and home would be ice free.

Advertisement