Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims discount

Options
  • 15-09-2020 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Can someone advise on this situation.

I have been driving insured and claims free for more than 10 years. Like everyone else I change insurer if the price is lower each year.

My current insurer states my no claims is 6 years (max point on our scale)

When i am looking online I see that some insurers have no claims that goes up to 10 years on their forms. There is a 200 euro difference when selecting between 6 and 10 on these insurers which is substantial.

I have more than 10 years no claims but due to my current insurer limiting their scale to 6 I only have that on my NCD cert.

Has anyone come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I think the cert has 2 numbers. 1 is the years NCB applied and the other is the actual years with no claims.

As long as the cert has the higher number too you’re grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I think the cert has 2 numbers. 1 is the years NCB applied and the other is the actual years with no claims.

As long as the cert has the higher number too you’re grand.

No unfortunately all it says is 6yrs (max point on our scale)

The "max point on our scale" note is new as it hasnt been on the previous NCD form.

Looking back on previous insurance renewals from this and other providers there is only ever 1 NCD number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

When you moved to your current insurer you would have had x years no claims.
    Do you have that document?
    If so get your current insurer to write a letter saying you had X years + X years with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think the legal maximum is 5 Years, a nothing above that should not be counted, but many insurers do ask and have options above 5. In theory any accidents more than 5 years old are irrelevant and can't be counted.
    each year of claims free driving up to a maximum of five years

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think the legal maximum is 5 Years, a nothing above that should not be counted, but many insurers do ask and have options above 5. In theory any accidents more than 5 years old are irrelevant and can't be counted.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

There is nothing 'legal' about the no claim bonus system. It is a marketing/underwriting tool used by insurers and they are free to interpret or ignore it altogether as they wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

A quick update on this,
    After a telephone conversation with the new insurer they accepted the no claims cert that I have which states 6 years (max on scale) and applied the 9 year calculation on the premium. So positive result.

Advertisement