If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a 50" tv ?

Options
  • 26-09-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I currently have an almost 'vintage' television - a Sony KDL-40W2000
    It is probably ripe for a replacement now, so I wanted to get your recommendation for a 4k 50" replacement taking our specific requirements and usage into account ...

So the current tv has really good built-in sound - it practically has a forward facing sound bar like built-in to the frame.
    Sound is very very important as my BH needs a good sound to be able to hear - and while I know we can 'simply add a sound bar' it would make more sense to me to have good sound incorporated if at all possible.

Secondly we mostly watch telly programmes via our provider box (Vodafone TV) so that is likely mostly SD quality or the occasional HD channel - plus 720p rips (need to save space hence not ripping 1080p or higher). We do of course also, occasionally, watch 1080p material which will likely get more frequent. Also 4k will likely become more prevalent going forward .....
    Thus it seems important to have good upscaling quality ....

We do NOT like cartoonish colours but nice true ones albeit vivid instead of bland (hope this makes sense).

I am not too concerned about price ranges - but obviously one likes to not spend too much of ones hard earned cash, so deffo neither a cheap recommendation nor the most expensive one  ;)

Is this something that you can help me sort out ?

Cheers,
    Stone

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Stone

Thanks for the post and  hope you are keeping safe.

Perhaps the downfall of most modern tv is the sound, people want thinner and thinner tv's, this means the speakers have to be thinner and smaller to fit, something which is not good for sound quality. 

Among the better sounding sets wouldbe the LG Oled models, these dont come in 50" versions but in 48 and 55.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204872-lg-oled48cx5lc-48-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx

These featue virtual 5.1 surround and have a pretty meaty 40 watt amp built in.

Also being an OLED the picture quality on these sets is stunning also

Let me know what you think

Regards Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Hi Stone

Thanks for the post and  hope you are keeping safe.

Perhaps the downfall of most modern tv is the sound, people want thinner and thinner tv's, this means the speakers have to be thinner and smaller to fit, something which is not good for sound quality. 

Among the better sounding sets wouldbe the LG Oled models, these dont come in 50" versions but in 48 and 55.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204872-lg-oled48cx5lc-48-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx

These featue virtual 5.1 surround and have a pretty meaty 40 watt amp built in.

Also being an OLED the picture quality on these sets is stunning also

Let me know what you think

Regards Stephen
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks a mill for your feedback :)

I was looking at this as well - OLED looks fantastic, however I worry a bit about burn-in (as we tend to either watch a lot of news channels where there are fixed layouts/images plus we also often pause programs, sometimes for hours, leaving static pictures) as well as the overall brightness levels (we do watch a lot of daytime programming ;)).

How would the Samsung Q80T (https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204580-samsung-qe49q80t-new-t-series-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-1000-smart-qled-tv-with-apple-tv-app-freesat-hd.aspx) fare against this LG OLED one ?
    Especially thinking about sound ...
    And if a sound bar is really needed could one be mounted on the cantilever arm we use for our TV so it sits right underneath the TV ?

Sorry for all these questions ....

Cheers ... and keep safe,
    Stone

• Company Representative Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Stone

I would rather answer a millon questions and you get a product that suits your needs.

Screen burn  is the Achilles heel of OLED panels, certainly things have improved a lot since they first came to market thanks to improved software, to reduce the problem, but it can still happen. If you tend to leave paused images for hours as you say, then perhaps an OLED might not be the best choice for you in this instance.

The Samsung you linked to as it is a QLED so will not suffer from this problem.  Also the QLED will be a brighter image so would be better for your bright viewing conditions.  I still maintin the OLED gives the better picture, but not if the screen has an image or multiple images burned.

the Samsung features Adaptive sound+ which actually analysis your rooms accoustics and adjusts the TV's sound to suit the room and the type of content you are watching.  It also has an active voice amplifier, to help boost the diagogue which on some sets can become muffled espically if there is a lot of other noise going on at the same time for example during an action film

Regards Stephen

Hi Stone

I would rather answer a millon questions and you get a product that suits your needs.

Screen burn  is the Achilles heel of OLED panels, certainly things have improved a lot since they first came to market thanks to improved software, to reduce the problem, but it can still happen. If you tend to leave paused images for hours as you say, then perhaps an OLED might not be the best choice for you in this instance.

The Samsung you linked to as it is a QLED so will not suffer from this problem.  Also the QLED will be a brighter image so would be better for your bright viewing conditions.  I still maintin the OLED gives the better picture, but not if the screen has an image or multiple images burned.

the Samsung features Adaptive sound+ which actually analysis your rooms accoustics and adjusts the TV's sound to suit the room and the type of content you are watching.  It also has an active voice amplifier, to help boost the diagogue which on some sets can become muffled espically if there is a lot of other noise going on at the same time for example during an action film

Regards Stephen
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks again for taking the time to respond ... much appreciated :)

So are the Samsung QLEDs good TVs when it comes to
    • sound
    • image quality
    • upscaling of SD and 720p sources
    [*]
    ?

I would agree that the overall image quality of OLED is superior, hands down, however as I reckon we will keep a telly that is at or above a thousand quid for a good number of years I an worried about the burn-in (especially based on our viewing habits/patterns) ....
    So is the Q80T the best 48-50" non-OLED around .. or are there better options (I am not a Samsung fan boi as such, so any brand would suit me as long as it get the best quality for the money ;)) ?

Cheers,
    Stone 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Stone,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

As Stephen has said and you also deduced - it's pretty much a two-horse race, between OLED and QLED - however at 49/50" the field is actually quite limited - really none of the manufacturers except Sony and LG with OLED launch their flagship series under 55" - so if you ( correctly in this case I feel ) eschew OLED - then the Q80T is as far as you can go - Samsung do not release their 800/900/90/95 series under 55" which is unfortunate.

However saying that the Q80T will be a world apart from your trusty Sony in terms of picture quality and whilst the SONY will possibly sound better, the Samsung is no slouch in Audio terms.

Like you I was not a huge Sammy fan - but I now have converted and have several Frame TV's and I have to admit, they are damn good :eek:

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi Stone,

As Stephen has said and you also deduced - it's pretty much a two-horse race, between OLED and QLED - however at 49/50" the field is actually quite limited - really none of the manufacturers except Sony and LG with OLED launch their flagship series under 55" - so if you ( correctly in this case I feel ) eschew OLED - then the Q80T is as far as you can go - Samsung do not release their 800/900/90/95 series under 55" which is unfortunate.

However saying that the Q80T will be a world apart from your trusty Sony in terms of picture quality and whilst the SONY will possibly sound better, the Samsung is no slouch in Audio terms.

Like you I was not a huge Sammy fan - but I now have converted and have several Frame TV's and I have to admit, they are damn good :eek:

ATVB

John Mc & Crew
    Hey John,

Thanks for the feedback .....

So what would be the best Boardsie Euro price (or GBP if the £ price is better) for RoI delivery you can do ?

Cheers,
    Stone

• Company Representative Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Stone wrote: »
    Hi Stone,

ATVB

John Mc & Crew
    Hey John,

So what would be the best Boardsie Euro price (or GBP if the £ price is better) for RoI delivery you can do ?

Cheers,
    Stone
    Hi Stone,

Thanks for getting back to us!

The absolute best price I could do on the Samsung QE49Q80T would be 1249 euro however it might work out better for you to go for it in sterling at £999 with £6.99 shipping!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Hi Stone,

ATVB

John Mc & Crew
    Hey John,

Cheers,
    Stone
    Hi Stone,

The absolute best price I could do on the Samsung QE49Q80T would be 1249 euro however it might work out better for you to go for it in sterling at £999 with £6.99 shipping!

Kind regards

David
    So David - this is your normal list price online, right ?
    No better price available ?
    And it included your 6 years supercare warranty ?

So if I went for this, and the £ price is indeed better, I should simply order online ?

Hi Stone,

ATVB

John Mc & Crew
    Hey John,

Cheers,
    Stone
    Hi Stone,

Kind regards

David
    So David - this is your normal list price online, right ?
    No better price available ?
    And it included your 6 years supercare warranty ?

So if I went for this, and the £ price is indeed better, I should simply order online ?
    Hi Stone.

At the moment the list price would be the best we could offer on the 49Q80T.
    It does include our VIP 6 year guarantee free of charge.

You are indeed free to purchase in what ever currency works out cheaper for you.

Any questions please let me know.

Kenny.

Thanks lads ... order placed this morning online - looking forward to my new telly :D

• Advertisement

Thanks lads ... order placed this morning online - looking forward to my new telly :D
    Excellent, thanks so much for the order Stone!

Let us know if you have any issues!

Kind regards

David

Hi again guys,

While I have ordered etc. I just a few mins ago noticed that the 49" version of the Q80T is a 50Hz panel and not a 100Hz one - I am not sure about this, but would that not mean a rather worse picture ?
    I am worried I may have purchased something that is not as good as it could be ..... 

Thanks,
    Stone

Hi again guys,

While I have ordered etc. I just a few mins ago noticed that the 49" version of the Q80T is a 50Hz panel and not a 100Hz one - I am not sure about this, but would that not mean a rather worse picture ?
    I am worried I may have purchased something that is not as good as it could be ..... 

Thanks,
    Stone
    Hi Stone,

The 100Hz panel would be better for motion processing as it doesn't have to use as much processing power for frame creation than a 50Hz panel. In terms of image quality there wouldn't really be a difference but it really comes down to Motion!

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

OK ... but would this have been a better TV then https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204635-sony-bravia-kd49xh9505bu-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx then ?
    Price is the same, but is a 100Hz panel - not sure which has the better picture quality as well as sound ....

Thanks,
    Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Hi again guys,

Thanks,
    Stone
    Hi Stone,

The 100Hz panel would be better for motion processing as it doesn't have to use as much processing power for frame creation than a 50Hz panel. In terms of image quality there wouldn't really be a difference but it really comes down to Motion!

Kind regards

David
    When you say motion, would 100hz be better for gaming on the new xbox? I'm currently looking at a few different models but I don't know if I'll be able to tell the different in games?

pinking wrote: »
    Hi again guys,

Thanks,
    Stone
    Hi Stone,

Kind regards

David
    When you say motion, would 100hz be better for gaming on the new xbox? I'm currently looking at a few different models but I don't know if I'll be able to tell the different in games?
    Hi Pinking.

It is always better to go for the higher Hz as this will process more frames per second.

Hope this is of help.

Kenny.

Hi David,

OK ... but would this have been a better TV then https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204635-sony-bravia-kd49xh9505bu-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx then ?
    Price is the same, but is a 100Hz panel - not sure which has the better picture quality as well as sound ....

Thanks,
    Stone

*Bump*
    Any response to this ?
    I am really worried I went for the wrong tv ....

Hi David,

Thanks,
    Stone

*Bump*
    Any response to this ?
    I am really worried I went for the wrong tv ....
    Hi Stone.

The QLED will produce the better image as QLED is the newer technology over LED.

However the Sony will handle motion better with its 100Hz processing so if you watch a lot of sports or play computer games it would be better than the Samsung.

The Sony uses an android operating system which in my opinion is better the the Samsung operating system, although the Samsung operating system is hard to fault.

Hope this helps a little.

Kenny.

Thanks Kenny - that puts my concerns at rest as watching [a lot of] sports and playing games on this TV is basically at the bottom of my list - I need a good picture and superior upscaling from SD and 720p material plus sound quality. Also I don't care particularly about the OS .. as long as it can do what is required operating the telly ;)

Thanks Kenny - that puts my concerns at rest as watching [a lot of] sports and playing games on this TV is basically at the bottom of my list - I need a good picture and superior upscaling from SD and 720p material plus sound quality. Also I don't care particularly about the OS .. as long as it can do what is required operating the telly ;)
    No problem Stone, let me know if you have any other queries or concerns!

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.