Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colour Ideas

Options
  • 24-09-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I would love if somebody could give a novice some advice.

I have a living room wall which is over a cream open fireplace and I am struggling to pick a colour for it. The skirting is brown oak so it doesn’t really match what is on it atm. I am looking at the Dulux range. The tester on the wall is Tranquil Dawn but I’m not sure about it. What colours go with the brown oak skirting? Thinking something like soft mocha maybe. There is a bright cream on the other walls which I will leave.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi Guys, I would love if somebody could give a novice some advice.

I have a living room wall which is over a cream open fireplace and I am struggling to pick a colour for it. The skirting is brown oak so it doesn’t really match what is on it atm. I am looking at the Dulux range. The tester on the wall is Tranquil Dawn but I’m not sure about it. What colours go with the brown oak skirting? Thinking something like soft mocha maybe. There is a bright cream on the other walls which I will leave.

Any advice greatly appreciated

do you like the brown oak skirting?

personally am not a fan of contrast woodwork, we have all of our skirting, panelling and doors painted to match the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do the other bright cream walls have brown oak skirting? I don't think it is a good idea to try and match the colour of the skirting - either paint it the same colour as the wall or leave it the same as the rest of the skirting in the room. You are not going to get a match otherwise and it will look odd.

What colour is the floor, does it match the skirting? I would suggest choosing a strongish colour that you like and either paint all the skirting in the room the same colour, or white, or leave it all brown. Take into account the colour of the door and architrave too. Putting a brown wall with cream walls could - depending on the exact shades - look very 70's, which might be ok with you, it would look a bit predictable and dated to me but I was there the first time round :D

Advertisement