Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the FM104 Phoneshow?

Options
  • 22-09-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I hadn't listened to the show in a while but tuned in last night and couldn't believe the ****e I was hearing. A guy and a girl talking about nothing really. I thought Keith Ward had taken over the Phoneshow from Chris. Is this going to be a permanent thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

keith ward left a couple of years ago, either 2017 or 2018 i can't remember which.
    the show is now called room 104 apparently, it has been presented by the current 2 presenters since not long after ward left i think.
    phone show is unlikely to return i would expect unfortunately, perhapse boylan when he is live might be an alternative for you? he's on classic hits.
    lbc is also a good listen or talk radio might be worth a shot.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The shouty skanger format ran its course in Dublin. Its popular enough outside Dublin that Boylan still exists, though; but 4FMs audience in Dublin is near non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 HighF123

I think the show will return at some stage. I don't think it's the case that the format is no longer appealing to people in Dublin, I think the show floundered post-2013 because people wanted Adrian and Jeremy and none of the presenters who succeeded them were up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

Keith left in 2018, Cormac and Saoirse took over, show renamed room 104 just over a year ago, I find it ok at times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"WHO'S A MUPPET!? I'M A MUPPET!? YOU'RE A MUPPET!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Clint_Westwood

If the "hot talk" format has ran it's course in Dublin, then why is Adrian's show on 98 so successful? He's still doing pretty much the same thing he did in 104 back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Phoneshow took a nosedive after Adrian and Jeremy! Not sure there is a market for it now but given the idiocy you see online there is still scope for a few controversial shows. I think the timeslot isn't as popular for radio anymore either

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the "hot talk" format has ran it's course in Dublin, then why is Adrian's show on 98 so successful? He's still doing pretty much the same thing he did in 104 back in the day.

Nothing on 98 is "so successful", the station is fifth of five locals* in Dublin for market share and hasn't been above its nominally junior stablemate for quite some time.

*it is above Classic Hits and Nova in Dublin; but neither is solely a Dublin station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 the_real_one

I agree there is a possibility the Phoneshow might be brought back at some stage as it's a big brand for fm104. With all the political-correctness and censorship we see everywhere now, I think something like the Phoneshow which was famously anti-PC, would still have a large audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Keith Ward left fm104 in early 2019. I thought he was pretty good but he probably had a mammoth task ahead of him to get the listening figures up to a respectable level after the damage Chris Barry did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

One night back in the mid 00's.. (Misspelling is intentional)

Adrian: "Welcome back, this is the FM104 phoneshow with Adrian Kennedy. Before the break we were talking to Jacinta who believes that the children's allowance should be increased. She says the current payment isn't enough and that it should be at least doubled. Now, we've John on line 2. Howayeh John, you want to speak to Jacinta?"

John: "Yeah howayeh Adrian, come'ere Jacinta what did yew say dere dat yew tink yew'r mickey money shuld be increased?!, yew're a slut yew are!"

Jacinta: "HOW DARE YA!, HOW BLEEDIN' DARE YA!, YEW DON'T KNOW ME!"

Adrian: "A here lads, relax. John, do you think the children's allowance should be increased?"

John: "I'll tell yew what I tink Adrian. Jacinta?"

Jacinta: "Ya?"

John: "Yew're a durty cu.."

Adrian: "Oh, I'm after losing him.. don't know what happened to him... Jeremy, can you ring him back? Thank you very much. Now, we've Tracey on line 3. Howayeh Tracey?"

Tracey: "Howayeh Jeremy?"

Adrian: "I'm Adrian, Jeremy answers the phones.."

Tracey: "Sorry Adrian, can I talk to Jacinta please?"

Adrian: "You can indeed, what do you want to say?"

Tracey: "Jacinta, I think yew shuld just keep yewr legs closed."

"SHUT YEW'RE FCUKIN MOUTH YEW YA FCUKIN'!"

Adrian: "Who's that shouting in my ear?!"

Jacinta: "That's me sistur Sav" ~~(Crackling sound)

Adrian: "You're breaking up there. What did you say her name was?"

Jacinta: "Her name's" (Crackling sound)~~"avannah"

Adrian: "Right, whatever.. Now, we've Declan on line 2. Howayeh Dec?"

Declan: "Hew'm I talkin' tuw?"

Adrian: "This is Adrian for God's sake..."

Declan: "Yeah, howayeh Adrian, can I talk to dat fella John?"

Adrian: "No, John is gone but it says here that you wanted to talk to Jacinta?"

Declan: "Oh yeah, d'ya see dat Jacinta one, she's a bleedin' muppet."

Adrian: "Well Jacinta, he thinks you're a muppet, what do you say to that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I stopped listening after Adrian and Jeremy. Didn't think it was that long ago. I thought their new bit is earlier? If it was half at the same time I might listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 the_real_one

Does anyone know if Keith Ward is still working in radio? I thought he was good when he did the phoneshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Does anyone know if Keith Ward is still working in radio? I thought he was good when he did the phoneshow.

He went travelling for a while and now he’s an animal rights campaigner, campaigning across the world.

Advertisement