Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting builder for extension - whats next?

Options
  • 24-09-2020 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We are planning an extension in the next month and have gotten in 3 builders quotes and I think we have the selection made - my questions are

1. Is there any specific certification\accreditation I should be checking that the proposed builder has to ensure everything is done right and above board?
    2. I presume next step is after I select a builder, a contract or agreement is put in place that details out the scope of work and the timeline etc. - is there a standard format this should take?
    3. Who initiates\drafts this agreement? I presume the builder as I would have no idea where to start

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you a drawing/spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

BryanF wrote: »
    Have you a drawing/spec?

Yes, I have a drawing which was sent out to builders for tendering purposes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all,

We are planning an extension in the next month and have gotten in 3 builders quotes and I think we have the selection made - my questions are

1. Is there any specific certification\accreditation I should be checking that the proposed builder has to ensure everything is done right and above board?
    2. I presume next step is after I select a builder, a contract or agreement is put in place that details out the scope of work and the timeline etc. - is there a standard format this should take?
    3. Who initiates\drafts this agreement? I presume the builder as I would have no idea where to start

Thanks!

1. Certification will come from the professional you have engaged to inspect the works. Architect, engineer or surveyor.

2. Scope of work should be done by now? Surely all builders priced to the same scope?

3. RIAI contract maybe. Done in conjunction with your professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My advice would be to not fall for the builder with the glossy brochure and the sales pitch, better go with a recommendation from a friend.
    Get your own Engineer to supervise works. Do not allow the builder to spec the works and do not allow the builder to source the Engineer. The Engineer must be working for you and looking after your interest.
    Its unbelieveable the amount of times builder tells client they will get job certified, bring in an engineer friend and client ends up with a botch job.

Gumbo wrote: »
    1. Certification will come from the professional you have engaged to inspect the works. Architect, engineer or surveyor. Yes, we have our own architect

2. Scope of work should be done by now? Surely all builders priced to the same scope? Yes,all builders quoted the same scope, however the costing from one was quite lighter on detail than the others so I'd like to get that fleshed out more to cover myself (and him)

3. RIAI contract maybe. Done in conjunction with your professional.

Bold above

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    My advice would be to not fall for the builder with the glossy brochure and the sales pitch, better go with a recommendation from a friend.
    Get your own Engineer to supervise works. Do not allow the builder to spec the works and do not allow the builder to source the Engineer. The Engineer must be working for you and looking after your interest.
    Its unbelieveable the amount of times builder tells client they will get job certified, bring in an engineer friend and client ends up with a botch job.

My architect will be available to perform inspections and provide the necessary signoff. The builder we are leaning toward has done a decent sized piece of work close by and I've spoken with them and they seem very happy with the job

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My architect will be available to perform inspections and provide the necessary signoff. The builder we are leaning toward has done a decent sized piece of work close by and I've spoken with them and they seem very happy with the job

You are in good shape so.
    Nail down as much as possible in terms of scope of whats included and spec to avoid issues later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Also, a good question to ask the builder is what is he not doing?
    Ask him what will be left to do for you to move in and live there?

Advertisement