Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to build a training Plan??

Options
  • 24-08-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

would anyone have any links or recommendations on videos/articles/books as to how to build an Adventure Racing training plan?. I've no race to aim for as everything is cancelled but would like to focus training to suit what i want to do next year. My entries for the challenge type adventure races will be rolling over but id say ill be aiming to move up to the sport length towards the start of next season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The way to approach this is to modify a triathlon type training plan to suit the duration of event you want to do. Gauge your total available hours per week for training against the equivalent tri pan and work from there.

Running - base fitness and speed work can be done primarily on road or trail but you need to get trail and hills into the sessions on a weekly basis. Get used to running up and down hill on a range of different terrain.

Cycling - primarily this is all road bike which can be partly indoor trainer sessions over winter too.

You won't be swimming necessarily other than for core fitness and you may not be able to access kayaks or have a safe system for training. For this invest in a resistance pole from Lidl or similar (~€15) and train your stroke indoors

Attached image (very big) was how we did it ^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Thanks for that. I have an inflatable Kayak that herself bought me for my Bday so can include that. I had intended on using a tri plan if all else fails but would welcome opinions. Should i switch out the swim for strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Strength training and flexibility should feature for sure. I suppose you just need to be careful and not overdo any one element.

Its very easy to get carried away spending most time doing the training we enjoy the most rather than that which we need the most. It is all fun at the end of the day but training is to work on skills and ultimately to make the races more enjoyable.

Advertisement