Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

em - what to do?

• 30-06-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Not exactly a life threatening situation, but is best approach her:

Gf's dad turning 40 and I've been invited to a meal thing.

a) turn up empty handed - have food - chat - go home
    b) turn up with card - have food - chat ...
    c) turn up - buy the auld lad and his brothers a pint - chat - have food ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I'd go with c myself. I wouldn't assume you're expected to get him anything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Eh - I wouldn't think so myself. Yup, c is best ... thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Dont turn up - go to pub - get drunk - go home

Otherwise choose C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

secret option d) get naked and rock out

¬_¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this just a girlfriend's father or your soon to be father-in-law?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

C will get you most kudos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

+ stripper. Kudos for life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The obligatory: Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

How long have ye been going out? Have you met her dad much before? And how come you can't just ask her this? (since she knows him best, and knows what he's likely to expect from you. Some people would be insulted if you didn't bring anything, others would be embarrassed if you did, and she'd know better than us which category he falls into)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Depending upon her folks, bring cool ones (c) or a bottle of wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Get the man a nice bottle of whiskey (unless he's a pioneer)
    Definetly NO CARD !
    He'll get more rounds bought for him that evening than is good for him, so yours will just add to the burden ..the whiskey he can enjoy later, in peace.

...I'm over 40, I should know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

why does everyone think that fathers drink whiskey?#
    jeez, i hate the stuff.

anyway, why cant you just sign the card your girlfriend will probably get, go along, chat, and offer to buy a beer at the appropriate moment. besides, you should be buttering up the mother in law to be, not the father.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

As has been said before, dont emphasise everything on the da, the rest of the family will probably be there too. i.e. your on show. Bring a card if that is your sort of character, sometimes certain people arriving with cards is cringeworthy. As has been said before a bottle of whiskey/gin/petrol can go down a treat, other times it doesnt work so well. Best plan is to head along, cogratulate him on his reaching 40, offer to buy him a drink, and his brothers/sons/whatever, treat your girl like she is the be all and end all, be the perfect gent to her and her family, and you should be rewarded in more ways than one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

If her Dad is only 39 going on 40, and presuming there isn't a massive age gap between you and this girl, then you must be young, like <20 years... in which case I doubt you really have to go to much effort at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

If you trying to get on the familys good side go with peasants idea. Don't get some cheap ass whiskey either. I would recommend Jameson 12 year old, or some Bushmills single malt.

If my daughters boyfriend brought me a bottle of either I would almost certainly beat him less often. Almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

get him a card that celebrates the 19th anniversary of his twenty first birthday...

failing that c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

What my now husband always did when invited to my daddy´s birthday bashes was to bring along a bottle of wine. Daddy said to him that he shouldn´t have but I know that he appreciated the gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

novelty cards FTW! i`d imagine if your goin out with her for a while get her to write your name on the card too, if your goin out with her >1 year then maybe something like a bottle of whiskey/brandy/scotch could work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Bottle of wine and a card tbh.

Although, by the above I assume you have been going out for at least a period of time and not a month or so.

Advertisement