Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do we suffer rude and ignorant waitress and shop assistants

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

shay_562 wrote:
    It's worth remembering that a manager also needs to earn the respect of his workforce in order to operate in any kind of effective manner. You can talk down to and patronise your workforce all you want, and you can inspire terror-based obedience when you're standing over them, but you can't monitor all of them at all times and the only way to ensure that people are actually going to work hard when you're not there is to inspire some kind of respect, be it the "he's a bastard, but he's competent" kind or the "he's a legend, so I'll do this for him anyway" kind. Highly unscientific as this may be, in the last few years of working in various different places under at least a dozen different managers, I've seen a fairly high positive correllation between managerial incompetence/rudeness and employee indifference.

Thats true but there is no excuse for acting indifferent towards customers

As for the "I worked for me da and worked hard, and I walked there uphill, both ways, through the rain and the snow, with no shoes, and I was grateful for the tuppence a month" thing, I'm sure that's sad etc, but you're completely missing the point. I much prefer the jobs I've had doing manual labour, where I'm generally treated like a competent human being and given some class of responsibility, to the jobs I've had working at a counter and being condescended to day-in, day-out. The issue here is about how much respect you're given in a job (both from customers and managers), not about how hard each of us percieve the job to be. And if you want to know why it matters, or why it's not necessarily a bad thing that people are pushing for more respect in their jobs, there's whole schools of psychology and business devoted to working out what makes people work better (stronger, faster), and respect/responsibility play a large role.

You have to remember that the jobs we are talking about dont require a high degree of intelligence to do correctly. Not doing the job correctly is what pisses me off.

parsi wrote:
    And unlike a bank they don't have a morning when they open late or tell you it will take 15 days to recover a card that their machine swallowed...I've never been in Dunnes whre halfway through checkout I was asked to move to another checkout - happened in a bank though.

You might let me know what bank told you that. As for opening late, most banks are actually conducting training amoungst staff. Working in a bank is slightly different than working behind a till. Bit more regulation involved and staff are required to keep up to date with same.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I love the way sometimes shop assistants will drop the change into your hand, for fear of actually touching your hand!!!

And they're handling those manky coins day in, day out.

Shows you some of the muppets who do that for a living.

A summer maybe, but not a living.

I note that in Germany and some other parts of Europe they spread the change in a little tray so that you can count it.

stepbar wrote:
    You might let me know what bank told you that. As for opening late, most banks are actually conducting training amoungst staff. Working in a bank is slightly different than working behind a till. Bit more regulation involved and staff are required to keep up to date with same.

Strange. One of the tellers managed to dodge out for his breakfast during the "break". But of course he wasn't a snotty 16yr old. Maybe he was a Yellow-pack. Probably was all of 23-24 so probably had gained everyone's respect and seemed to have those higher skills you alluded to as far as I could see judging by his ability to transcribe (in his best joined-up writing) from his screen to a lodgement book. They could always have this training during their non-opening hours eh ?

Oh and the bank - AIB.

parsi wrote:
    Strange. One of the tellers managed to dodge out for his breakfast during the "break". But of course he wasn't a snotty 16yr old. Maybe he was a Yellow-pack. Probably was all of 23-24 so probably had gained everyone's respect and seemed to have those higher skills you alluded to as far as I could see judging by his ability to transcribe (in his best joined-up writing) from his screen to a lodgement book. They could always have this training during their non-opening hours eh ?

Oh and the bank - AIB.

Cant comment for what AIB do, but I'm sure that you are well capable of filling out your own lodgement book. Training during non-opening hours - eh nope. If you had any clue about what other activities went on in a branch outside of normal opening hours would would realise that there is not enough time in the day to do the most of them. Some how they manage to do it.

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote:
    Cant comment for what AIB do, but I'm sure that you are well capable of filling out your own lodgement book. Training during non-opening hours - eh nope. If you had any clue about what other activities went on in a branch outside of normal opening hours would would realise that there is not enough time in the day to do the most of them. Some how they manage to do it.

Do you find many Junior Savers filling out their own books ? Do many customers know (in the absence of a statement) what the quarterly interest is ? Do banks usually accept "self-filled" lodgement books ? Is this not what they are paid to do ? These guys/gals are tellers in a small branch not Wall Street Whizz Kids.

My heart bleeds for the banks - they are so so so busy that they can only open to the public for a few hours per day. Ah the poor craturs, God and the angels and saints bless them and keep them and save them from all harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

stepbar wrote:
    If you had any clue about what other activities went on in a branch outside of normal opening hours would would realise that there is not enough time in the day to do the most of them. Some how they manage to do it.

oh woe is you*.

while i do know what goes on "after hours" in a bank i also know that it would be BETTER customer service to have those training days/hours in "out of office hours" I am sure there are saturdays and sundays thet are relatively free for the majority of staff get them in pay some over time and get them out..........this would be the best way from a customer service point of view but it will not happen because it is not the best way from a business point of view.

I do not know if you have children but I am sure you will be the first to comment on how easy teachers have it when they go on their inservice days and the kids get a day off because of it. They are going on training the same as the bank people but this time it is you that is inconvenienced.

This sort of thing is just life tbh and i honeslty believe you are cutting a few years of yours by worrying and caring so much about minor things such as these.

i will probably never have to work in a shop till like role again but if i do it is customers like you that i look forward to as instead of letting your ignorances annoy me i let them amuse me which i assure you is all the more annoying.

*after this point you is used royally nothing personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

I work in a shop like a Londis type thing. I have noticed yes there are some extremely rude customers and then there are some lovely ones and then those are the ones who just come in and out so quickly who you don't really have a chance for an opinion of.

Today, a woman asked me did we stock breadcrumbs to which I replied, no we do not (genuinely, its not that big a shop) and then I said, "You'd be best to get that down at Tesco or Dunnes."

then she says, "I was asking if YOU stock it, not Tescos"

She arrives at the till then to purchase her things and wants to pay for a bottle of wine separately which is grand, she comments on the fact we have no 1/4 size bottles of wine to which I replied, "No, the off-licence across the road would definetly have them though."

And the cheeky old cúnt replies, "Your just trying to get rid of me aren't you?" in a horrible sneering tone of voice.

"No, I'm just trying to help you." :mad:

Then she is 50cent short and gives me a sob story about not having enough with her and she'll drop it in. She never did, that's out of my wages now. I wouldn't mind but why should I have to be nice to this kind of person who is mean to me then expects me to pay for part of their shopping when I really don't have a lot of money myself. My current ownings: €4 (no other savings!!)

I've been working in two different shops for 3 years part time (during school and college) and some of the stuff i've seen you wouldn't believe! People are so rude and really think they are better than you because they aren't working as a shop assistant. In one shop (same francise), I didn't notice it as much but the other one is ridiculous, only 10 minutes walk up the road but the people are SO much ruder.

I've had a woman throw a french stick at my head as I was bending down behind the till to clean up a carton of soup which the previous customer had flung across the counter at me to scan which fell to the floor, exploding on me and everything else. She was just being very impatient.

I've also been called a 'slob' by some other woman, who said "What would you know, you're just a slob, look at you." because the bacon in our hot deli is too salty. I'm sorry I don't cure the bacon myself!
    This is the kind of wench who asks if she can try a piece of bacon first before she buys to check if it's too salty, it's alllways too salty, she never buys it but likes to eat it all the same.

Also been held up, with a knife to my throat a few years back...i swear the things us shop assistants have to put up with.
    All i can say is, i am a very considerate customer in other shops to shop assistants and sometimes can't believe how rude my own mother can be to other shop assistants!

/rant.
    continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sawa wrote:
    I work in a shop like a Londis type thing. I have noticed yes there are some extremely rude customers and then there are some lovely ones and then those are the ones who just come in and out so quickly who you don't really have a chance for an opinion of.

Today, a woman asked me did we stock breadcrumbs to which I replied, no we do not (genuinely, its not that big a shop) and then I said, "You'd be best to get that down at Tesco or Dunnes."

then she says, "I was asking if YOU stock it, not Tescos"

She arrives at the till then to purchase her things and wants to pay for a bottle of wine separately which is grand, she comments on the fact we have no 1/4 size bottles of wine to which I replied, "No, the off-licence across the road would definetly have them though."

And the cheeky old cúnt replies, "Your just trying to get rid of me aren't you?" in a horrible sneering tone of voice.

"No, I'm just trying to help you." :mad:

Then she is 50cent short and gives me a sob story about not having enough with her and she'll drop it in. She never did, that's out of my wages now. I wouldn't mind but why should I have to be nice to this kind of person who is mean to me then expects me to pay for part of their shopping when I really don't have a lot of money myself. My current ownings: €4 (no other savings!!)

I've been working in two different shops for 3 years part time (during school and college) and some of the stuff i've seen you wouldn't believe! People are so rude and really think they are better than you because they aren't working as a shop assistant. In one shop (same francise), I didn't notice it as much but the other one is ridiculous, only 10 minutes walk up the road but the people are SO much ruder.

I've had a woman throw a french stick at my head as I was bending down behind the till to clean up a carton of soup which the previous customer had flung across the counter at me to scan which fell to the floor, exploding on me and everything else. She was just being very impatient.

I've also been called a 'slob' by some other woman, who said "What would you know, you're just a slob, look at you." because the bacon in our hot deli is too salty. I'm sorry I don't cure the bacon myself!
    This is the kind of wench who asks if she can try a piece of bacon first before she buys to check if it's too salty, it's alllways too salty, she never buys it but likes to eat it all the same.

Also been held up, with a knife to my throat a few years back...i swear the things us shop assistants have to put up with.
    All i can say is, i am a very considerate customer in other shops to shop assistants and sometimes can't believe how rude my own mother can be to other shop assistants!

/rant.
    continue

I would have told the first ould one to **** off and collect her pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Stepbar

You attitude towards people stinks a bit. "People have to earn respect"

Yes and no. There is a fine balance. Just because they are 16, does not mean they are snotty nosed brats. We were all 16 once. The difference between ourselves and 16 year olds, is that 16 year olds are adults with no experience.

Instead of "Earning respect", what about

"Developing people"
    "Earning responsibility"
    "Empowerment"

Much better phrases. Focus on the positive. Everyone has something to offer. If a staff member genuinely cares about what they do, and there are many willing, dedicated Irish staff out there as well, then they will do well.

The service industry is about people, and if people are treated well, they will react well. Thats my belief. If you have a jumped up little Hitler manager, going "You have to earn respect", then you are nothing more than that Supermarket manager in Intermission with power trip fantasies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

If i go into a shop and the staff are distant and seem sullen, i really don't care. I've worked in customer service for years and know how rude and disrespectful people can be.

I once had a guy yell at me for 45 mins and reduce me to tears all because a 10 euro cable was out of stock. First time i was ever reduced to tears by a customer.
    Theres no excuse for behaviour like that, and i see it every day.

I've seen every type of customer there is and the worst are the well to do folk who treat you like dirt and act like they're so much better. I've found 9/10 these people don't ask a question, its always and order thats barked out. I've had 10 year old customers who have more manners.

I don't mind stupid questions, we all ask them at some point. The thing that gets to me the most is the downright lack of manners and respect.
    Working in CS has definitely made me more aware of how i treat other people and im thankful for the experience.

I love my nice customers, the ones who say 'please' and 'thank you' and treat me like a human instead of a slave. Its just sad that these people are the minority of customers. It really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I had another annoying customer case on saturday.

I work in GAME and some dude came in with a broken PSP (not warranty damage, he has snapped the back cover). He came in and tells me the story so I begin to answer him and he interrupts me saying that he was just down in the Sony Center and they said we had to repair the console because we sold it. I tried to explain to him that GAME don't do repairs, we replace faulties and have the faulty unit sent to Sony who replace that with a new one. But he interrupted me, saying we have to stand by our products no matter what. Again, I tried to explain how it was done but he kept interrupting me. Eventually he asked for the manager and brushed me off. Manager came down told him what I had said and then the guy starts going off about how rude I was to him and that I was disrespectful!?

Can anyone see what i did wrong? (and I haven't omitted anything, just in case people think I want to come off better.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Maybe you didn't let him say all he had to say before you jumped in Zapp? I love when someone says "but shop A told me you would so you have to". The response should be "if you go back to shop A they'll give you a gold plated throne while they make you tea and try to solve your problem" :)

I used to get in my past job a lot .. :)

No I made sure he had said all that he had to say, I know how annoying it is to be interrupted so I wouldn't do it to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

I had another annoying customer case on saturday.

I work in GAME and some dude came in with a broken PSP (not warranty damage, he has snapped the back cover). He came in and tells me the story so I begin to answer him and he interrupts me saying that he was just down in the Sony Center and they said we had to repair the console because we sold it. I tried to explain to him that GAME don't do repairs, we replace faulties and have the faulty unit sent to Sony who replace that with a new one. But he interrupted me, saying we have to stand by our products no matter what. Again, I tried to explain how it was done but he kept interrupting me. Eventually he asked for the manager and brushed me off. Manager came down told him what I had said and then the guy starts going off about how rude I was to him and that I was disrespectful!?

Can anyone see what i did wrong? (and I haven't omitted anything, just in case people think I want to come off better.)

I've had this too, for some reason, some customers just equate hearing a 'no' with rudeness. Much like a spolit child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The guy is looking for a freebie and he knows he's not getting it from you so what he's doing is deliberatly choosing to ignore what you're telling him because it's not what he wants to hear.

The majority of customers are idiots. Unfortunately they cant help themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 9th

The majority of customers are idiots. Unfortunately they cant help themselves.

;) so true. Most people are completely rude and apathethic.

The guy is looking for a freebie and he knows he's not getting it from you so what he's doing is deliberatly choosing to ignore what you're telling him because it's not what he wants to hear.
    No, to be fair he wasn't looking for a free repair. He wanted to pay for it. He just didn't like the fact that we don't offer a repair service.

Advertisement