Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to replace two of my chainrings

Options
  • 04-01-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

I need to change my outer 44 and middle 32 chainring - the outer has been bashed and straightened as much as it's ever gonna be and at this stage needs replacement, and the middle ring teeth are down low enough to be regularly slipping the chain and putting nice teeth marks into the inside of my leg.
    My question is when looking for replacements I can't go wrong as long as I buy 9spd triple that are 104mm like my own? There's no offsets or anything like that, or do I need to consider the chain I'm running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

No real reason to consider the chain, if it's a standard triple with front derailleur then the chain will be standard.

You should consider changing the rear cassette and chain as well as all 3 chainrings on the front though, if you can afford it, as there will be wear on both chain and rear cassette.

Considering that, may be worth looking to change your setup to a 1x10/1x11 if it can fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks for the reply. The chain and rear cassette that's on it I replaced less than 10hrs riding ago so I'll just be changing these two outer chainrings - the inner doesn't get much use.
    Do you know where the best bricks and mortar shop for components would be in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thanks for the reply. The chain and rear cassette that's on it I replaced less than 10hrs riding ago so I'll just be changing these two outer chainrings - the inner doesn't get much use.
    Do you know where the best bricks and mortar shop for components would be in the Dublin area?

Sorry, I'm a few miles too west to help you!

You could of course try online...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I have an Sram Trruvativ crank and found out today 104 Shimano chainrings will not work with it without some extensive filing. I've ordered two 9spd truvativ rings

Advertisement