Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voodoo or vitus or Boardman

Options
  • 15-12-2018 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all ,after some good advice from the MTB community on here,I have upped budget slightly and narrowed it down to one of three bikes
    Voodoo bizango currently €780 hoping after xmas Halfords may discount
    Boardman mht 8.6 currently €648 on discount at Halfords
    Vitus nucleus vrs currently €720 not sure if crc will discount after xmas
    Of these three in order which would you go for ( or any other suggestions)
    Seen the vitus in crc and is a really nice bike
    Seen the bizango also looks great
    Boardman due in tallaght next week not got a test ride on any yet.
    Also unsure if vitus what diff would I notice between the 27 and 29 wheels ,
    I've only had the older bikes with the 26 wheels,
    Thanks and look forward to some more advice from the more knowledgeable on here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭prunudo

baz69 wrote: »
    Hi all ,after some good advice from the MTB community on here,I have upped budget slightly and narrowed it down to one of three bikes
    Voodoo bizango currently €780 hoping after xmas Halfords may discount
    Boardman mht 8.6 currently €648 on discount at Halfords
    Vitus nucleus vrs currently €720 not sure if crc will discount after xmas
    Of these three in order which would you go for ( or any other suggestions)
    Seen the vitus in crc and is a really nice bike
    Seen the bizango also looks great
    Boardman due in tallaght next week not got a test ride on any yet.
    Also unsure if vitus what diff would I notice between the 27 and 29 wheels ,
    I've only had the older bikes with the 26 wheels,
    Thanks and look forward to some more advice from the more knowledgeable on here

Personally I'd go for the Vitus, can't comment on which wheel size. I have 27.5 at present, think 29 are all the rage but that doesn't mean they're better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My gut would chose the vitus as well, but trust your own gut, any would probably do the job for you, it can be a very personal decision

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baz69

Yeah initially the voodoo because it gets great reviews but after seeing the vitus and it also gets great reviews it's hard to choose,just wondering if one was better over the other,the only possible advantage I can see is the one eleven on the voodoo,but not sure I would even notice the advantages or would I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Voodoo is waaaay better specced than the Vitus - really good value for that money

Voodoo is 1 x 11 with a decent fork
    Vitus is 2 x 9 with a very average fork

No contest - and as you say, the Voodoo gets great reviews
    29er all the way for me

voodoo certainly appears to be better specced bike ,never bough From Halfords before ,do you know do they generally discount after xmas ,January sales and all that,what about building bike up how competent are they ,reading diff threads seems to be hit and miss,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

voodoo certainly appears to be better specced bike ,never bough From Halfords before ,do you know do they generally discount after xmas ,January sales and all that,what about building bike up how competent are they ,reading diff threads seems to be hit and miss,

They made an absolute bags of my build anyway, it came 95% ready but they still managed to lose a valve cap, and on the one the didn’t lose they left the pressure at 30PSI vs 100 on the other. Then small annoyances like the stem not being straight-on, gears not being set up 100%, bottle cage and other accessory bolts not tightened! big blob of grease on the seat-post, having to reorder 4 days before collection as their computer system apparently went down, some accessories not being in stock despite checking twice in advance and being told they were on hold and in stock etc.

I kinda half expected this anyway and the particular bike I was buying was pretty unbeatable for the money (was on offer), so I bought it anyway.

One thing compared to a LBS is that there is no real expertise to hand. You really need to know what you’re looking for, the differences between various models, and be able to figure out the frame size etc as myself and others have experienced the same well-meaning but ultimately under-qualified service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Generally do discount after christmas (and don't forget to borrow an axa card/ insurance disk, often also extra off in December). Bike build is hit and miss apparently, but over a few bikes between me and the children, I haven't had an issue.

Ok thanks wasn't aware extra discount with axa card ,will see who has one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

colm_mcm wrote: »

One thing compared to a LBS is that there is no real expertise to hand.

Think it varies wildly from shop to shop - I know my local Halfords has a very experienced mechanic working part time, who would be well capable of assembly and service.
    From what he tells me though, they are frantically busy this time of year, so easy to imagine how mistakes are made
    Just assume that you will need to do a thorough check and be prepared/able to do some re-assembly if necessary

Advertisement