Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Someone mentioned in an earlier post on this thread about seeing groups of kids in high vis, nowhere near a road. During the summer I was in the Zoo, during school holidays, and a bunch of kids came towards me all wearing the vests. Fair enough, they may be in an organised outing so the minders can keep an eye and spot them easily.

But no, they were either an extended family or group of friends, buggies included, out on a trip.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,593 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We've just changed the maintenance contractors in the office and the new team were wandering round last week in their hi viz. I reckon it's to reduce the risk of anyone suing them should they walk into one of these guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Topical ...
    322671.jpg
    Yeah, I cringed when I spotted it on the news last night.

On mature reflection, it may well be that they needed to make count staff easily identifiable, and a hi-vis jacket was the easiest and cheapest way to do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they should have given them hard hats too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭fat bloke

robertxxx wrote: »
    I cycle with 3 front lights one point in front and the other two pointing at me so it really lights up my yellow hivis jacket.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Joke? Sorry if I'm being slow.

Is that any clearer?

Beasty wrote: »
    We've just changed the maintenance contractors in the office and the new team were wandering round last week in their hi viz. I reckon it's to reduce the risk of anyone suing them should they walk into one of these guys :)

Yesterday I saw a tradesman drive his van about 20 metres along a pavement near a school. He parked, leaving no room for buggies or wheelchairs to pass, and as he walked off quite contented he was dutifully donning a hi-vis vest.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,593 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Yesterday I saw a tradesman drive his van about 20 metres along a pavement near a school. He parked, leaving no room for buggies or wheelchairs to pass, and as he walked off quite contented he was dutifully donning a hi-vis vest.
    Presumably on the basis he probably keeps his job if someone gets knocked down trying to get round his illegally parked van, whereas he risks losing it if he's not got his hi viz (and possibly hard hat, but that's for another thread!) on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got a bit wet earlier so needed a semi decent and affordable rain jacket for the return trip and got one in Mountain warehouse. Fell for the high viz trap and got this.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/adrenaline-hi-viz-jacket-p7003.aspx?cl=YELLOW

Not quite as reflective as hoped unless up close, but will keep me dry.

However, beside it was this following jacket, and it had a notice to take a picture with flash on to see how reflective it was. I was surprised that the whole thing seemed to light up. It was fairly lightweight, and might look into getting one

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/flash-illumination-convertible-jacket-p11963.aspx?cl=BLACK

Actually some jackets with a hi-vis component can look really smart or, dare I say it, cool.

I saw a cyclist wearing one just a few days ago and thought "I'd like one of those".

Wearing hi-vis in Irish traffic conditions is currently an act of faith and supposed "social responsibility" rather than evidence-based rational behaviour.

Maybe the win-win solution (if one is needed) is to make sure that apparel is attractive and functional first, with the hi-vis as an additional feature that might have some use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The point I always come back to is that hiviz has a function in poor visibility and in scenarios where cyclists and pedestrians aren't expected. Not that it is essential, but it might be helpful. But on a clear day on an urban road nobody has the excuse that they couldn't see a cyclist or pedestrian because he or she was insufficiently yellow or orange. You don't need to see anyone from a few kilometres away in that scenario.

I see that hi-vis vests increase visibility by 325% according to Garda Supt Reid

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/garda%C3%AD-identify-dublin-s-top-10-speeding-blackspots-1.1951025

... for vulnerable road users ... up to 325%

For all we know that could be comparing with someone walking in dark gear along a poorly lit road in the middle of the night. It attempts no comaprison with cyclists who are on bikes with decent lights

RainyDay wrote: »
    I see that hi-vis vests increase visibility by 325% according to Garda Supt Reid

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/garda%C3%AD-identify-dublin-s-top-10-speeding-blackspots-1.1951025

Perfect. That's me sorted the next time I'm approached by a car travelling at >50% above the speed limit. Magic!

This weird "balance" all the time. Garda is talking about speeding motorists, so feels he should add something that implies that pedestrians need to wear hi-viz in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was hiking in Glendalough at the weekend, and there was a group of Cub scouts or perhaps school children doing some activities in a large field by the upper lake - here: https://goo.gl/maps/64KeL

Each and every one of the children was bedecked in a hi-viz vest. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

buffalo wrote: »
    I was hiking in Glendalough at the weekend, and there was a group of Cub scouts or perhaps school children doing some activities in a large field by the upper lake - here: https://goo.gl/maps/64KeL

Yeah, it's the thing now, I mentioned a few pages back about similar groups in the Zoo.

I can't wait to read the headlines when several groups of school kids meet together in the one place and half them end up back in the wrong counties after they just followed the nearest high vis bedecked kids to the wrong bus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In my daughters school they make them wear pink caps and/or pink bum bags, take the cap off on a trip and its detention. The only thing I have against hi-vis as said above in these situations is if everyone does it, it doesn't really work.

While it might not have made much sense in the field, it probably made some sense if they were queuing for the St Kevins bus on Dawson St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Saw a guy knocked off his bike at the junction of Mespil Road and Sussex Terrace this evening.

He was cycling East to West along Mespil Road. Car in front of me was waiting to turn right out of Sussex Terrace on to Mespil Road. Driver was looking mainly to his left (I'm guessing) to look out for traffic coming from the nearby lights into the lane he was looking to turn into. Along comes cyclist. Yes, he had a light on his bike but he was wearing a dark jacket and a dark hat on a wet night. The driver never saw him and broadsided him as he pulled out.

Given he was hit from a standing start, the cyclist was lucky. He seemed to have a bruised shoulder although his bike didn't loo too healthy but he got up straight away and hobbled about holding his shoulder. Driver got out to look after him and a few pedestrians stopped as well.

Driver probably at fault for not looking properly but if the cyclist had been more visible he might have been seen if the driver had given a cursory glance. I didn't see him myself until the last minute. Maybe the driver DID look and just didn't see the guy.

I think it's idiotic to cycle in the dark without reflective or high viz clothing. This experience only confirms it for me.

Just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Where can I pick up the free RSA high-viz in or near town? Particularly the backpack cover. I know the Gardaí give them out, but I never seem to know about that until it's too late.

The backpack cover should help protect my bag from the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Where can I pick up the free RSA high-viz in or near town? Particularly the backpack cover. I know the Gardaí give them out, but I never seem to know about that until it's too late.

The backpack cover should help protect my bag from the rain.

I think you can contacr the RSA directly either via email or check their facebook page.

Saw a guy knocked off his bike at the junction of Mespil Road and Sussex Terrace this evening.

He was cycling East to West along Mespil Road. Car in front of me was waiting to turn right out of Sussex Terrace on to Mespil Road. Driver was looking mainly to his left (I'm guessing) to look out for traffic coming from the nearby lights into the lane he was looking to turn into. Along comes cyclist. Yes, he had a light on his bike but he was wearing a dark jacket and a dark hat on a wet night. The driver never saw him and broadsided him as he pulled out.

If it had been dusk, you'd have a stronger point. Since car headlights cast to the left and the cyclist was approaching the car from the car's right, the reflective strips on any jacket would not have been very visible, maybe some diffuse reflection from ambient light. Nothing to compare with a good, strong, modern bike headlight with fresh batteries. Ergo, the cyclist, if he needed anything, needed a better headlight.

This old post is about bikes approaching cars from the right, but it's on a road with a single streetlight, making it almost the worst scenario for hi-viz performance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88506257&postcount=12

EDIT: My point in this context isn't as good as I thought: I see that jacket in the film didn't have reflective stripes. It probably would have been more visible if it had, due to the single streetlight. Not as much as a good front light though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭buffalo

Driver probably at fault for not looking properly but if the cyclist had been more visible he might have been seen if the driver had given a cursory glance. I didn't see him myself until the last minute. Maybe the driver DID look and just didn't see the guy.

I think it's idiotic to cycle in the dark without reflective or high viz clothing. This experience only confirms it for me.

Just saying.

I think it's idiotic not to look properly where you're going when you're driving. But maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I think it's idiotic not to look properly where you're going when you're driving. But maybe that's just me.

Well of course it is, but I see a huge amount of people driving and not paying attention; have seen the usual mobile phones, shaving, make-up application, newspaper on the steering wheel, someone using a laptop and even a woman using heated curling tongs while driving around Dundrum roundabout in heavy traffic (funnily enough she didn't see me already on the roundabout when she pulled out).

My husband overheard a worrying conversation between a woman and her friend who had just clipped a cyclist - her excuse was that it is too difficult to watch out for everyone on the roads these days as there are so many people around walking, cycling, driving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

nak wrote: »
    Well of course it is, but I see a huge amount of people driving and not paying attention; have seen the usual mobile phones, shaving, make-up application, newspaper on the steering wheel, someone using a laptop and even a woman using heated curling tongs while driving around Dundrum roundabout in heavy traffic (funnily enough she didn't see me already on the roundabout when she pulled out).

Drives me nuts.
    Forget the high-vis, helmets and lights - the main threat to my health is that I'll have an apoplectic fit next time some ****er goes through a red light like it isn't even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

RayCun wrote: »
    the main threat to my health is that I'll have an apoplectic fit next time some ****er goes through a red light like it isn't even there.

Yea me too, I nearly got clipped by someone in an Audi A4 yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

extends to cyclists too though - running into work yesterday, crossing at a pedestrian lights. On my right there's two lanes coming down a hill, lot of cars and vans in the right-hand lane, cyclist using the left lane. He can see me crossing the road, and can see that he won't hit me, but he can't see the pedestrian crossing from the other side and she can't see him either. But hey - it's the bottom of a hill - if he stopped at the red light he'd lose all that momentum :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nak wrote: »
    My husband overheard a worrying conversation between a woman and her friend who had just clipped a cyclist - her excuse was that it is too difficult to watch out for everyone on the roads these days as there are so many people around walking, cycling, driving etc.

There are two spots, either side of the back of my head, whereby on hearing this, a dull ache began, presumably in sheer shock at what passes for acceptable levels of intelligence for operators of motorised vehicles in Irish society today.

Advertisement