Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teagasc Advisor

Options
  • 04-09-2015 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

How accessible is your advisor?
    Is it reasonable to assume the bigger your operation to more attention you will get.
    Reason I ask is that I have been trying to get to talk to the fathers advisor for the last 3 weeks.
    Dad's health is bad so want to sort out a few things like leasing out 2 outside plots and also discuss myself taking over home place.
    But we just can't get him.If we were milking 200 cows or had slats full of beef cattle I'm sure we would have his attention. Maybe that's harsh.
    I know they are overworked but how much access do ye have to yere advisor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Do you not have his/her mobile number?
    What do they say at the office when you ask for an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Is it reasonable to assume the bigger your operation to more attention you will get.
    Reason I ask is that I have been trying to get to talk to the fathers advisor for the last 3 weeks.
    Dad's health is bad so want to sort out a few things like leasing out 2 outside plots and also discuss myself taking over home place.
    But we just can't get him.If we were milking 200 cows or had slats full of beef cattle I'm sure we would have his attention. Maybe that's harsh.

From my experience they are all useless
    I have yet to find one that wasn't extremely busy telling clients how busy they were
    Lots of private guys out there that are good
    They have to be because unlike teagasc they get paid directly by the customer and if customers leave they don't get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The last teagasc advisor I had was back in 2005 he was pushing dairy farmers to get out of dairying even farmers with 80 cows,needless to say he was ran out of many yards :) believe it or not he's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I must be reasonably lucky so. I've gone through 3 of them and they were all ok, at least I was able to contact them and they got back to me if out of the office when I rang. I'm only farming a couple of dozen cattle and would ring maybe 2 or 3 times in the year. Thankfully, no major panics have arisen ....... YET!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

KatyMac wrote: »
    I must be reasonably lucky so. I've gone through 3 of them and they were all ok, at least I was able to contact them and they got back to me if out of the office when I rang. I'm only farming a couple of dozen cattle and would ring maybe 2 or 3 times in the year. Thankfully, no major panics have arisen ....... YET!

Have to say I'm lucky too, have two advisers on my file, one does sheep and the other SFP,schemes, etc both are very interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Cran

rangler1 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm lucky too, have two advisers on my file, one does sheep and the other SFP,schemes, etc both are very interested

Same here, one especially very engaged always surprises me how much effort he puts in. tbh I probably dont use him as much as should really

Cran wrote: »
    Same here, one especially very engaged always surprises me how much effort he puts in. tbh I probably dont use him as much as should really
    Is it T.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Was actually talking to mine not that long ago about joining a discussion group. I thought my setup might be a bit basic, but he said his present group had got so big that he was splitting it into two so there would be room for more to join.

KatyMac wrote: »
    Was actually talking to mine not that long ago about joining a discussion group. I thought my setup might be a bit basic, but he said his present group had got so big that he was splitting it into two so there would be room for more to join.

Well worth joining if your adviser is good, especially if you're with better farmers, but they'll get ideas from you too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Lucky here, have a very good one also, he is definitely busy and overworked, but simple as is if your paying them a fee then you deserve your fair share of time and advice from them. What I'd say is keep on plugging away at him, or the local teagasc office, threaten to cancel your fee if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭50HX

i was in the same boat myself

a good agri tax advisor will answer a lot of your questions with regards to taking over the home place, CAT,inheritance etc
    i hired one a few years back & he was super - best money ever spent
    a good agri consultant will also answer alot of these questions & advise on grants etc

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Do you not have his/her mobile number?
    What do they say at the office when you ask for an appointment?

Don't have a mobile just ring the office trying to get him.
    Sent him an email 3 weeks ago.Rang a week later he was with someone. Rang last week he was out on site. In fairness to the girl in the office she knew me from my previous call and said she would talk to him.
    Part of me isn't pushing too hard because of the scale here as there are less than 40 cattle here at the moment. But still at the same time it's almost a 100 acre holding.
    Just want to try get things sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Got rid of Teagasc contract this year as I didn't see what I was paying for tbh, from what I gather most lads only stay with them to fill in Sfp form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Sent him an email 3 weeks ago.Rang a week later he was with someone. Rang last week he was out on site. In fairness to the girl in the office she knew me from my previous call and said she would talk to him.
    Part of me isn't pushing too hard because of the scale here as there are less than 40 cattle here at the moment. But still at the same time it's almost a 100 acre holding.
    Sad to say you nearly best taking time off to drop in & say you aren't leaving until sorted

Heres a map of the regional areas and their managers, cleverly they haven't given their phone nos. click on your area and get the number of the head office in your area, phone them up and ask for the area manager by name and tell him what's going on.
    http://www.teagasc.ie/areaunits/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Cran

rangler1 wrote: »
    Is it T.C.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

simx wrote: »
    Got rid of Teagasc contract this year as I didn't see what I was paying for tbh, from what I gather most lads only stay with them to fill in Sfp form

That's exactly what he has been used for.
    Will the independent guys deal on a one off issue ie sorting out change over and what goes with it or would they be looking to tie you into a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

That's exactly what he has been used for.
    Will the independent guys deal on a one off issue ie sorting out change over and what goes with it or would they be looking to tie you into a contract

I would be smaller than yourself, but lad I use for SFP, I just pay him for the SFP, that's it. Whatever time it takes to do it there and then

Was with teagasc, cancelled as they were zero support - the two advisors I had knew nothing of sheep, so wasn't worth it for me.

Know a very good private lad in west cork, but I dunno where you based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Would teagasc not have better contact and shared data systems with the dept than private guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Would Teagasc advisors be qualified to advise on drainage? Thinking of getting one in and asking him every question under the sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

mikefoxo wrote: »
    Would Teagasc advisors be qualified to advise on drainage? Thinking of getting one in and asking him every question under the sun

Are teagasc winding down, when the contracted out Glas to FRS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Farrell wrote: »
    Are teagasc winding down, when the contracted out Glas to FRS
    The return on their time wasn't worth it for them. They have advisory targets in terms of numbers of farmers to advise which they mostly meet through discussion groups and single advisory meetings with individual farmers. Any other single meeting will have to be paid for.

They also had an increase in the number of educational advisors for the green cert this year, iirc.
    I believe they are going to focus more on advisory work rather than form filling which most farmers can do for themselves or get a private planner for.

Advertisement