Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saving Turf

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Handy for throwing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have most of the turf home. We drew 5 loads today and 4 yesterday and my back and legs know it.
    Reckon we have another 4 or 5 tomorrow including 2 for neighbors.
    Fair play to the owner of the right of way he leveled in a temporary pass over cutaway so we could get out. I never thought of taking pictures but I will take one tomorrow morning.
    Here are some pics of the damage the young lad & his friend (with a sow of a JD) did a few weeks ago to the temporary pass that was a replacement for the permanent pass that he fecked up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Base price wrote: »
    We have most of the turf home. We drew 5 loads today and 4 yesterday and my back and legs know it.
    Fair play to the owner of the right of way he leveled in a temporary pass over cutaway so we could get out. I never thought of taking pictures but I will take one tomorrow morning.
    Here are some pics of the damage the young lad & his friend (with a sow of a JD) did a few weeks ago to the temporary pass that was a replacement for the permanent pass that he fecked up last year.

Only wagon that should be let out that road is 135 with twins and 10x6 with just the boxes to fill a lager trailer from. No cop on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jesus, those tracks look pretty good to me.
    Anywhere you could travel with single wheels, we would regard are being out of the bog already.
    Unless we get a great summer, a 2wd hasn't a chance, it's 4 wd with twins all round and 3 on the trailer bringing small loads.
    They will travel on stuff you cannot walk on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭Base price

All turf is home including the bags for two elderly neighbours :)
    We normally have no problems drawing turf with a 4wd 880 and a double wheeled tipping trailer unfortunately the young lad has made it difficult in the last two years. Anyway all is not lost and its in the shed now waiting for a cold night :)
    Pic of part of the temporary pass from this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Base price wrote: »

I think your pic don't do you any favours (its a lot worse in real life?)
    My road looks like that on a good year (no water though) and I have gone in with a defender and a 5.5 x 10 foot trailer every year bar one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think I must be the only one in the midlands who managed to bring it out with the Discovery and a box trailer. 14 loads, it was hard work in the heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The 880 is like a snail on the road l'd say. We'd a 680 years ago. You'd keep into it walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Now that bord na Mona have said that they will stop harvesting peat within 15 years
    How long do you think before they stop the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

djmc wrote: »
    Now that bord na Mona have said that they will stop harvesting peat within 15 years
    How long do you think before they stop the rest of us.

In 15 years time most of their bogs (non-SAC bogs) will be spent. As regards domestic turfcutters, the government lacks the will to even stop people cutting on the SAC raised/blanket bogs. Raised bog SACs constitute only 2% of the raised bogs present. In 1997 turfcutting was banned on the SACs but people are still cutting in the vast majority of those bogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

With the advances in renewable energy, turf and other solud fuels will be unnecessary in all new builds. Water only needs to be 40º for underfloor and that is easily achievable with modern solar panels and heat exchangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭Odelay

Muckit wrote: »
    With the advances in renewable energy, turf and other solud fuels will be unnecessary in all new builds. Water only needs to be 40º for underfloor and that is easily achievable with modern solar panels and heat exchangers.

I know its not very "ECO" but I hope to be tanning my arse by a real fire for many years to come.

Odelay wrote: »

I know its not very "ECO" but I hope to be tanning my arse by a real fire for many years to come.

Turf in a room sealed stove yes but the open fire is not a runner when it comes to a new build since part L 2011.
    We find it very hard to convince house builders of the requirements of the regulations but if you are installing heat recovery and ventilation systems, open chimneys do not work.

mickdw wrote: »
    Turf in a room sealed stove yes but the open fire is not a runner when it comes to a new build since part L 2011.
    We find it very hard to convince house builders of the requirements of the regulations but if you are installing heat recovery and ventilation systems, open chimneys do not work.

Just leave the chimney out of the part L. Sure a gyproc slab and a bit of skim and sure "what openfire" . Very eaey to open it up again when final mortgage draw down is made when all signed off for bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'll second that!

Just leave the chimney out of the part L. Sure a gyproc slab and a bit of skim and sure "what openfire" . Very eaey to open it up again when final mortgage draw down is made when all signed off for bank.

Thats all well and good and was done a fair bit under 2008 regs.
    Since part L 2011 and the near mandatory use of HRV, You would be only fooling yourself by introducing an open chimney after your hrv has been commissioned.

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats all well and good and was done a fair bit under 2008 regs.
    Since part L 2011 and the near mandatory use of HRV, You would be only fooling yourself by introducing an open chimney after your hrv has been commissioned.

I agree but ya know what people are like. Stove with air piped in under the floor is only job but fecks up the ber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

People should be allowed to cut and use turf, but the last fragment of relatively intact raised /blanket bogs should be preserved. They should not be destroyed for short term gain. That applies to domestic turfcutters and Bord na Móna.

Advertisement