Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saving Turf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ours is in the shed with a month.

Same as that. Over for another year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

ours is in the shed with a month.

Often brought it home Xmas week.no probs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I said wrote: »
    Often brought it home Xmas week.no probs on it.

drew once in october for an great uncle. hands were blue travelling to the bog on the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Dozer1 wrote: »
    old fella has it home in the shed since start of June every year he says we won't do any more.
    Still plenty around us doing it but hen harrier areas are making life difficult for lads cutting.

saving it isn't the problem, you'd swear it was 20 euro notes he puts so little into the stove:P

Is he using an artifical drier or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Dozer1 wrote: »
    old fella has it home in the shed since start of June every year he says we won't do any more.
    Still plenty around us doing it but hen harrier areas are making life difficult for lads cutting.

saving it isn't the problem, you'd swear it was 20 euro notes he puts so little into the stove:P
    Hen harrier have nothing to do with turf cutting restrictions on the 53 SAC raised bogs (2% of total raised bogs). Hen Harrier is an easy scapegoat for all ills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Our turf is still very damp in the bog, was wondering if we brought it home and left it drying in a redundant polytunnel we have would that help at all or would it retain the moisture in there? Anyone have a clue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

morebabies wrote: »
    Our turf is still very damp in the bog, was wondering if we brought it home and left it drying in a redundant polytunnel we have would that help at all or would it retain the moisture in there? Anyone have a clue?

Leave it for another week or two weathers not to bad till next weekend

morebabies wrote: »

What you need is an open shed or use pallets on the sides and cover the top of the pile turf when brought home so that the wind can blow through it

Reggie. wrote: »
    What you need is an open shed or use pallets on the sides and cover the top of the pile turf when brought home so that the wind can blow through it

grandfather always said the place for drying turf is in the bog!! id chance another week or two

grandfather always said the place for drying turf is in the bog!! id chance another week or two

Agreed but that's a last resort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The father has more turf and sticks, youd think there was an ice age forcast.

Hes not sure if its 2012 or 2011 hes burning at the moment.

mf240 wrote: »

My father has turf over 15 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

My father has turf over 15 years old

Is it still wet?

Will have all ours home before the Mayo v Dubs this evening. then collect a few more tickets for tomorrow and off croker in morning.

THERE WILL BE NO TURF BROUGHT HOME IN GALWAY NEXT WEEK

with the help of God and Joe anyway

father has every shed in the place full of turf and sticks. even filled a stable last year

Is it still wet?

Will have all ours home before the Mayo v Dubs this evening. then collect a few more tickets for tomorrow and off croker in morning.

with the help of God and Joe anyway
    No it's just he cuts that much every year he can't burn through it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Have all ours home a few weeks apart from about a load of stuff that was in a wet spot. But goin having a look and if its middlin its comin home today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Since my last post in July unfortunately our pass has suffered an even worse faith. The same young fella tried to draw a load out in early August. He got stuck in the new pass, phoned a friend with a 4wd John Dick to toe him out, which also got stuck and between them they tore the place up.
    Apparently they have made a pure ****e out off the new pass.
    I only learned about this latest fiasco on Friday night when OH told me.
    I have not been on the bank since mid June when we lifted the sods and made windrows.
    TBH I had a major rant/tantrum with OH which was offset by his comments about good neighbours and young fellas learning the ways of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Base price wrote: »
    Since my last post in July unfortunately our pass has suffered an even worse faith. The same young fella tried to draw a load out in early August. He got stuck in the new pass, phoned a friend with a 4wd John Dick to toe him out, which also got stuck and between them they tore the place up.
    I have not been on the bank since mid June when we lifted the sods and made windrows.
    TBH I had a major rant/tantrum with OH which was offset by his comments about good neighbours and young fellas learning the ways of the world.

Did you get any home yet?

A kick in the hole they need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

A bog is a great education for those lads that think a big fwd and power will go anywhere.

Theres lads that get stuck every year and a lot of it is there own fault.

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    Did you get any home yet?
    Not a chance in hell unless we get a severe drought or extreme frost.
    I am applying pressure to the neighbour to get him to pay for reclamation of the pass.
    A kick in the hole they need
    Worse than that around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Not a chance in hell unless we get a severe drought or extreme frost.
    I am applying pressure to the neighbour to get him to pay for reclamation of the pass.

Worse than that around here.
    Would quads work?
    Came across allot of people coming home from the bog today.
    1 thing that impressed me was a girl driving a 240 with a tipping trailer full of turf, not something I come across

Farrell wrote: »
    Would quads work?
    Came across allot of people coming home from the bog today.
    1 thing that impressed me was a girl driving a 240 with a tipping trailer full of turf, not something I come across
    Worst case scenario, transport box drawing it out from the bank to the trailer.
    "1 thing that impressed me was a girl driving a 240 with a tipping trailer full of turf, not something I come across"
    Thankfully you are easily empressed.

A bog is a great education for those lads that think a big fwd and power will go anywhere.

Theres lads that get stuck every year and a lot of it is there own fault.

Ya
    Lad next to us one year instead of drawing turf in 10 foot tractor trailer, decided to get a huge silage trailer and fill it to the top with all his turf.
    Pulled off about 10 yards and road gave way ending up with whole trailer over on its side
    Trailer damaged and some craic up righting it

GY A1 wrote: »
    Ya
    Lad next to us one year instead of drawing turf in 10 foot tractor trailer, decided to get a huge silage trailer and fill it to the top with all his turf.
    Pulled off about 10 yards and road gave way ending up with whole trailer over on its side
    Trailer damaged and some craic up righting it

Less is more in the bog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Is it still wet?

Last of our turf home today. Ticket sorted for tomorrow and Monday off work as well. Fingers crossed.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Last of our turf home today. Ticket sorted for tomorrow and Monday off work as well. Fingers crossed.

wiped the last bit today aswell :D
    alot of turf still in the bog yet tho :eek:

Less is more in the bog

he was some ass alright lol
    took hours to fill it aswell, he only had 2 miles to go to :confused:
    i walked off after it fell over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

That's it for another year.
    Can't turn the picture. Sunday morning blues.
    image.jpg1_zpsdibrcfzz.jpg

• Advertisement

Sligoronan wrote: »
    That's it for another year.
    image.jpg1_zpsdibrcfzz.jpg

Australian turf? ;-)

Advertisement