Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will you get a break/holiday from the farm this year?

• 13-06-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,818 ✭✭✭✭

heading away for a week next week and cant wait:)

will you take a break/holiday this year 109 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    62% 68 votes
    other
    37% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yep.
    Two weeks in France later in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Voted no but thats a lie as we went skiing earlier but wont be off again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Week in the sun in August .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Was already off in Rome in feb (not ideal) but would like a break around now tbh.
    We'll go somewhere next summer hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Yes am now off on hols now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Staying in Ireland this year ,few long weekends and midweek breaks.heading to cork and fota island week after next and Westport/donegael in August with wife and daughter and weekend in Galway for mrs mahoneys birthday next month minus daughter !!
    I'm also dropping hints re rugby World Cup ,have tickets for France game .boys only trip which will need a day or 2 recovery !!bitvof sweet talking to be done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Hoping to get away for a few days but nothing set in stone yet. Have nine bloody weddings and am on top of my head with work so it's hard to organise anything too definite. Herself is finished maternity leave in the next few weeks and is pretty pissed we haven't gone yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Yes, Pre calving wend in Cork, Pre breeding :) Edinburgh, week with kids Clare, Germany Sept and NZ in October. Will also have a few days away with Diss grp

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

No hols this year. Herself due our third next month. Will be using my holidays to help her out for few weeks.

Mulumpy wrote: »
    No hols this year. Herself due our third next month. Will be using my holidays to help her out for few weeks.

Very inconsiderate of her not to let you away for a well deserved break

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I was not going to go away as I travel a fair bit with work. England fairly of then Eastern Poland twice this year and going to France for 4 days but I'll get 2 days hols out of that. But I was just informed I got a free trip to Mississippi later in the year.... it'd be rude to decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

I was not going to go away as I travel a fair bit with work. England fairly of then Eastern Poland twice this year and going to France for 4 days but I'll get 2 days hols out of that. But I was just informed I got a free trip to Mississippi later in the year.... it'd be rude to decline.

Going to Norway with work next week but am going to take some while there Hols and mrs is flying out so we ll take a road trip to see some fjords. She has friends over there and we keep saying we ll visit so we don't have an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

17 days in France coming up in July. Can't fcuking wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

17 days in France coming up in July. Can't fcuking wait.

Your off to help dwag with harvest I take it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Stay vacation this year. A week in cork and Kerry in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Not going anywhere again this year. Youngest passed his second year uni exams :) and I need the money to help him with fees etc.
    I will spend time in the boat fishing (with the 3 dogs) on the wonderful lakes of Longford and Cavan. That will be my holiday, peace and quiet and hopefully warm sunny evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »
    Not going anywhere again this year. Youngest passed his second year uni exams :) and I need the money to help him with fees etc.
    I will spend time in the boat fishing (with the 3 dogs) on the wonderful lakes of Longford and Cavan. That will be my holiday, peace and quiet and hopefully warm sunny evening.

And essential for peace & quite, turn off the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Very inconsiderate of her not to let you away for a well deserved break

I'll be taking the kids off for days out here and there to give wife a chance, which is as good as any holiday to spend some quality time with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Got four days off next wknd.
    A few gigs here and there. The first of which is Tom Jones on Tuesday. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Got four days off next wknd.
    A few gigs here and there. The first of which is Tom Jones on Tuesday. :D
    Lord Forgive Me but I thought he was dead :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Was already off in Rome in feb (not ideal) but would like a break around now tbh. We'll go somewhere next summer hopefully

Hey gg1 me and herself was n Rome n fed as well and loved it what did u think

dodo mommy wrote: »

He was wore out coming home from double clutching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Mulumpy wrote: »
    I'll be taking the kids off for days out here and there to give wife a chance, which is as good as any holiday to spend some quality time with them.

...oh ya leave the nag at home:D

He was wore out coming home from double clutching

Ah sure at least I'm young enough I can still get it into gear :D

dodo mommy wrote: »

Great place food was great. The weekend was plenty though.
    Not long after this thread was started mates rang me wanting to know would I go to santa ponsa........be rude not to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Was skiing back in March for a week, planning a week in Spain in August, stag in 2wks time, and prb a discussion group trip somewhere also. I got an itch to go further afield in the future definitely though, Now that the farm up and running properly, and while my dad still active would be the time I guess. Would love to go for a Nuffield some year, done a volunteering trip to Haiti before, defo need to do the likes of that again, but escaping from the farm for more than 10days would be very tough as I'd have to leave too much laid out for my replacement. I guess that's actually the main reason I want to get to the likes of 120+ cows, so I can afford to hire good staff for likes of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Nothing booked but plan on heading to the west for a days next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Unfortunetly no. Haven't had a holidaynor day off since I gave up driving for a haulage company 4 years ago, milking 365.

I know some will say "can you not get someone into milk for a few days" well the answer to that is no, this place is in such bad shape that its a combination of embarrassement and saftey.

The auld fella didn't believe in spending money on the farm, preferred leaving itin the local pubs. 28 cows on 97 acres 4 years ago and some fields not ploughedfor over 30 years, so you can imagine the set up.

Herself and the 3year old go on a week or so holidays every may with her folks. I just stay behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Aska wrote: »
    Unfortunetly no. Haven't had a holidaynor day off since I gave up driving for a haulage company 4 years ago, milking 365.

I know some will say "can you not get someone into milk for a few days" well the answer to that is no, this place is in such bad shape that its a combination of embarrassement and saftey.

The auld fella didn't believe in spending money on the farm, preferred leaving itin the local pubs. 28 cows on 97 acres 4 years ago and some fields not ploughedfor over 30 years, so you can imagine the set up.

Herself and the 3year old go on a week or so holidays every may with her folks. I just stay behind.

Fair play to you. Inspiring stuff when a lad turns a farm back from the brink. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Aska wrote: »

Fair play to you.
    my parents did similar.
    One thing I will say is my parents spent so much time in grossed in work and trying to work out how they could make there money go further they never took a holiday..They regret it niw I think
    a break/holiday is the best thing for a business and the mind to.
    Honestly. Take a break. It will do wonders for yourself your family and your business. You'll come back with a fresh head. Even if it's only 2 days away at the weekend

Advertisement