Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

Any one know if a factory will take freshly calved cows? Have one calved here last week with mastitis and always had very high cell count that we want to factory? We haven't given her any medicine or anything, will they take her?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Freejin wrote: »
    Any one know if a factory will take freshly calved cows? Have one calved here last week with mastitis and always had very high cell count that we want to factory? We haven't given her any medicine or anything, will they take her?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

simx wrote: »
    feck sake! had a new thread started and a long enough paragraph wrote and its gone now :( first world problems I guess

If you were typing it on your phone, then the Predictive Text facility may rescue it for you. Type first word you had used the first time, and the P T should take over and keep suggesting the next word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

What sort of a device would I need to do the following, put music (mp3 most likely) onto it and play in the car - CD slot anyway, can't even remember if there's a tape thing! Or am I better just to burn it onto CDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

If you google mp3 to cd converter you'll be able to download a free file that will tell your windows to put it onto the file and then onto a cd. I'm not very Teck savvy but you'll get what in saying I hope ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Would it not just be handier to get an mp3 player you plug into the cig lighter socket? Or perhaps a bluetooth speaker for your phone/ hands free kit to work the mp3 player on your phone on the cars speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Does anyone on here know about a teagasc scheme where they will do a pre breeding scan and synchronise your cows for you and all you only have to pick up the cost of ai. I have a neighbour that did it last year with 9 cows and it was a great success. They rang him a few weeks ago wanting to do it again this year but he has nearly all his cows served again so said there was no point. I must ask him more about it when I meet him again. Wouldn't mind doing it with 9 or 10 cows and ai them to a charolais.

Swallows are dying in the cold here, just found one dead on the lane. Not a mark on him. I'll bury the little mite later, doesn't deserve to fly almost 10000km to die on a lane in Leitrim and get fcuked over the hedge :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Kovu wrote: »
    Swallows are dying in the cold here, just found one dead on the lane. Not a mark on him. I'll bury the little mite later, doesn't deserve to fly almost 10000km to die on a lane in Leitrim and get fcuked over the hedge :(

I think if I ended up in Leitrim I'd die too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Some one could have told me there was a new thread. I'd give the bird to the cat

• Advertisement

I think if I ended up in Leitrim I'd die too. :D

Ya cause we don't take to your ilk kindly :P

Naughto, I did and he just sat on it. So I buried it in the front garden. Cat is going to the vet at 5. Big baldy arse on him from (I think) a reaction to Gallup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Kovu wrote: »
    Ya cause we don't take to your ilk kindly :P

Naughto, I did and he just sat on it. So I buried it in the front garden. Cat is going to the vet at 5. Big baldy arse on him from (I think) a reaction to Gallup.

I know you have a good cat Kovu but he is hardly doing the spraying for you aswell as the pest control ?!

Bullocks wrote: »
    I know you have a good cat Kovu but he is hardly doing the spraying for you aswell as the pest control ?!

He catches leverets out in the meadows which were licked with Gallup :P

Anyway he was back in the house about five minutes before he removed his lampshade collar and escaped out the window.....ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

images-1-1.jpeg

AND BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING, I'M NOT :cool:

^
    Must.Resist.Temptation.To.Edit.Post.......:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just packing in now from the second of two confirmations today and another 4 confirmations and communions in the next 8 days. I'm not sure my poor liver will survive all this but the kids are great craic, all the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

9 baby moo moos moved from the big farm to the shed outside our house tonight. They're making a fair bit of noise but it's nice to have some more back with us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

IMG_1016.jpg

347880.jpg

Great cause. Great idea. Hope it catches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

IMG_1016.jpg

Great cause. Great idea. Hope it catches on.

Jasus!!
    Would certainly certainly catch your eye while lookin over the hedges

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Comes in net as well.

347892.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's actually class. I might get onto the father about it!

Pure insomnia here now. Lost a cow this evening that developed an awful scour about 3 weeks ago. Had given her a course of sulphur powders for 3 days to no avail and a fluke and worm dose and got the vets to send off a faecal sample a week ago to try and find out what's causing it but hadn't got the results back yet. Rightly sickened by it now so I am. Hopefully the faecal sample will shed some light on what caused it and it won't be something stupid that I should have picked up on. Calf won't suck a bottle either to make matters worse, anyone any tips on how to get her started? 6 weeks old and hungry enough in herself because the cow had as good as dried up.

Pure insomnia here now. Lost a cow this evening that developed an awful scour about 3 weeks ago. Had given her a course of sulphur powders for 3 days to no avail and a fluke and worm dose and got the vets to send off a faecal sample a week ago to try and find out what's causing it but hadn't got the results back yet. Rightly sickened by it now so I am. Hopefully the faecal sample will shed some light on what caused it and it won't be something stupid that I should have picked up on. Calf won't suck a bottle either to make matters worse, anyone any tips on how to get her started? 6 weeks old and hungry enough in herself because the cow had as good as dried up.
    johnes? honey is great to get the calf to suck, would calf go on anoter cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If you can keep him alive and get him sucking, off to the mart asap. You'll get as much out of him. Cont sucks are crazy money at the mo. Let some other lad have the bother of rearing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Lads can ye do the movement permit all on line now without any paper work or does the buyer have to be on agfood aswell ? Lad bought a cow off me and doesn't know if he is on agfood or not , don't ask me how he doesn't know !

Bullocks wrote: »
    Lads can ye do the movement permit all on line now without any paper work or does the buyer have to be on agfood aswell ? Lad bought a cow off me and doesn't know if he is on agfood or not , don't ask me how he doesn't know !
    you'd have to print off the movement permit anyway so either you post the 3rd copy back or do the movement on line, you still have to have the your bit in your possession afaik, in case of inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

whelan2 wrote: »
    you'd have to print off the movement permit anyway so either you post the 3rd copy back or do the movement on line, you still have to have the your bit in your possession afaik, in case of inspection

You dont need to keep a copy as you can show the permit number on Agfood just type in the tag number and a history pops up. But if the lad doesn't use agfood print him a buyers copy and send off a copy to Cork

whelan2 wrote: »
    johnes? honey is great to get the calf to suck, would calf go on anoter cow?

Rumen fluke :( What a waste, rest of the cows will get a a shot of Zanil in the next week. Have 2 cows rearing 2 calves already, don't have another cow capable of rearing 2 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nice evening here.
    Total waste I have to go and have 2 MRIs done. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Rumen fluke :( What a waste, rest of the cows will get a a shot of Zanil in the next week. Have 2 cows rearing 2 calves already, don't have another cow capable of rearing 2 really.

Seams to be allot of it at the moment why ever the reason

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement