Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massey 399 or Massey 4270

• 04-09-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi lads Im stuck between getting a 399 or a 4270 which tractor would ye recommend i wouldt be doing two much work with it only my own bailing is there many electronics in the 4270 and do they give trouble thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Was there a bit in a recent classic tractor mag between these 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

There wouldn't be much more electrics in the 4270 maybe just pto switch and some of them had electric lift switches but overall they're very similar the 399, the 4270 has a far more comfortable modern cab though. Most 4270s have the same type 18x6 gearbox as most 399s, some have 24x24 power shuttles. I think they're both known as reliable tractors but some of these tractors have a tough life on heavy work because they're six cylinder but they are not heavy duty tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 22 massey101

Thanks for that what would be the price range for the 4270 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pjou9ZC.jpg This is my bus. It has an 18 6 gearbox which means no shuttle but I stack the silage bales from a fusion baler/wrapper ok. I have it nearly 3 years now and had no major problems bar the clutch went in march this year, but happy enough so far. The weight of tractor helps with silage bales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

the 4200 series is fairly basic, not many electronics. probably easier to find a clean 4270 than a 399. both good machines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 massey101

all sounds good lads thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

Has to be a 4270 to be honest there much bigger heavier and more stable than the 399. U can also get them with no electronics manual shuttle. There a tractor that I'd goin to loose very little value in the next few years how guys are still given 18000 for 390s is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

if you are looking for a 4270 with a loader, probably better off with the power shuttle

August edition of classic tractor compared a 399 to 13 reg 3 cylinder 5610. Interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

if you are looking for a 4270 with a loader, probably better off with the power shuttle

I'd love a tractor with a power shuttle. Kehoe's camolin were telling me you can get a 4270 with a wet clutch as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Willfarman wrote: »
    August edition of classic tractor compared a 399 to 13 reg 3 cylinder 5610. Interesting reading.

How did it compare?

How did it compare?

The 5610 was better all round tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Has to be a 4270 to be honest there much bigger heavier and more stable than the 399. U can also get them with no electronics manual shuttle. There a tractor that I'd goin to loose very little value in the next few years how guys are still given 18000 for 390s is beyond me
    Seen a 4270 towing a 14 ton digger plus lowloader and didn't look like it was under too much pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Willfarman wrote: »
    The 5610 was better all round tractor.

Sure it had to be, as it has a 20 year technology advantage on the 300 series

Advertisement