Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyin a decent axe in Ireland

Options
  • 02-09-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi folks. Im looking to buy a decent axe. Im looking to spend €100-120 on a proper handmade piece that I will have for a few years. I dont want any of that mass produced plastic crap. Just a decent traditional all round axe. Iv had my eye on a few tasty Swedish axes such as Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks. I think Gransfors is a bit over priced but a nice peice of kit. Anyone know where I can get such items in Ireland. Iv searched online but the Irish market for axes is quite small and pretty much full of crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

have a look at the wranglerstar channel on youtube.

he's a bit of an axe nut and I think he actually rated some of the husqvarna axes as being pretty decent, for a lot less money than the fancier ones, and should be available through a dealer.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes-pruning-saws/#axes_(wood_handles)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Third3ye

Yeah, Iv seen a few of his videos. Few nice reviews. Id have a Husqvarna as their a rebranded Wetterlings (I think they have moved back to Hultafors now). They only thing that worries me is to why they are so much cheaper. Reject axe heads? Less superior handle material? Although I guess they are worth the price and probably easier to get through a dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

I have a SA Wetterlings, Gransfors Bruks and Hultafors Bruks axes. All are nicely made but I wouldn't buy one online if I could help it, not at those kinds of prices. Each one of them is handmade and if you can pick through a few, you'll find one that's more evenly finished with a better grind and a more accurately shaped head than the others. Same to be said for how they're handled, with some being very well fitted, others just 'good enough' for the job but not what you'd expect for the money.

If you can't get your hands on a half dozen of whichever model you want to buy, so you can pick the one you want from the pile, the best for yourself then I'd say Wetterlings, own brand, nothing rebranded. I was nitpicking with the Wetterlings ones, they were all nicely made, but the Gransfors and Hults had plenty of room for improvement on quite a few of them.

This is what I have:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SA-WETTERLINGS-Scandinavian-Forest-Axe-Better-than-any-Gransfors-Axe-/251949958338?hash=item3aa96344c2

No idea about that seller but the axe is a great job altogether. The sheath is useless if it gets damp as it goes soft and won't work properly. The fix is to shellac the inside of it once it's bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I saw some well made axes and hatchets made by a firm called "Condor" (El Salvador, German parent company) in Gough's Tools, off Capel Street, about 2 years ago. Can't remember how much but they seemed like good value and quality at the time, unfortunately it was around Christmas time and I didn't have the funds otherwise I would have purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭accidental forester

I bought a Gransfors Bruks splitting maul no. GA-SPAH450 from Classic Tools in the UK. Pricey enough but am pleased with the quality, it does the job well and is a pleasure to use. I split all our firewood with it for a season until the logsplitter was finished. Still use it at home for the odd large piece that comes through. Shipping was £18.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Third3ye wrote: »
    Hi folks. Im looking to buy a decent axe. Im looking to spend €100-120 on a proper handmade piece that I will have for a few years. I dont want any of that mass produced plastic crap. Just a decent traditional all round axe. Iv had my eye on a few tasty Swedish axes such as Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruks. I think Gransfors is a bit over priced but a nice peice of kit. Anyone know where I can get such items in Ireland. Iv searched online but the Irish market for axes is quite small and pretty much full of crap.

Howdy,
    I'd suggest haunting car boot sales and anywhere old rusty tools are found, until the 1950's or so nearly all axes were of decent quality. Bring a small file with you and go head hunting. I have a number of axes i use regularly that i have found in this way.
    Fixing up the old head for use is relatively easy, reshape the bevel with files, clean off all the rust, polish the cutting edge faces and sharpen, tape the edge and fit your handle, happy chopping.
    Otherwise if you want a relatively decent and cheap off the shelf axe i'd suggest either a bahco (cheap) or a nicer one from this crowd http://www.ochsenkopf.com/en/products/index.html
    hope this helps
    tim

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Howdy,
    I'd suggest haunting car boot sales and anywhere old rusty tools are found, until the 1950's or so nearly all axes were of decent quality. Bring a small file with you and go head hunting. I have a number of axes i use regularly that i have found in this way.
    Fixing up the old head for use is relatively easy, reshape the bevel with files, clean off all the rust, polish the cutting edge faces and sharpen, tape the edge and fit your handle, happy chopping.
    Otherwise if you want a relatively decent and cheap off the shelf axe i'd suggest either a bahco (cheap) or a nicer one from this crowd http://www.ochsenkopf.com/en/products/index.html
    hope this helps
    tim

One here 15 quid + 7.50 post, could use parcel motel then to get it down here.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Brades-7lb-Chopping-Axe-36-Long-5-Cut-/252075655792?hash=item3ab0e14270

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I got my Husqvarna axes on Amazon as it was cheaper than souring a decent one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What about fiskars? Is it for splitting or cutting you want it? The x27 is a great splitter or the shorter version (x25).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

+ 1 for X27 - nice and light and the perfect axe for splitting straight grained (or smaller diameter logs).....far less tiring than using a conventional, heavier splitting maul. However , when you are up against knotty/twisted grained stuff it just hasn't got the weight or the right angled wedge (too sharp) behind it to bust them apart.
    Chopped up a large fallen Beech earlier in the year, and the X 27 was great on about 20 % of it but I had to ring the 3' diameter main trunk into 4 and 5" slices in order to (just about) split them with the big maul.Got nice 6 cube out of it, but did make mental note to borrow/hire a logsplitter next time I tackle a stout, twisty Beech).
    It is best to use the right tool for the job (like having large hammer for driving in 4" nails, and a smaller one for panel pins).I find the combo of X27/20 euro totally abused splitting maul/hatchet works well.Would love to get posh heavy maul as well, which I wouldn't abuse.

P.S - You can't hit the head of the X27 with a sledge/club hammer,if it gets stuck, cos it will break. Also the head is made of softish metal and has a sharp angle that makes it easier to damage - so (unlike the 'normal' splitting maul)you have to watch out bringing it down onto stone or metal and sharpen and now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You specifically say "in Ireland" so maybe not much help to you, but 'tis the season for selling forestry/logging equipment here in France at the moment. All the hardware/garden centres (especially in central France) have good quality material on display, everything from budget axes (15€) to supposedly "hi-tech" tools (60-70€ with ergonomic, unbreakable handles. Yeah, right.)

I've just replaced the handle on my axe, bought for about 20€ six years ago, which has seen a lot of service splitting oak (typically 50cm long, up to 50cm diameter) 2.5kg headweight. For those knotty, twisted logs here we use wedges and a sledge hammer - saves abusing the axe. At the moment, I'm using an old jack-hammer bit, but trying to talk myself into one of the spiral wedges - about 30-40€ (1-2kg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Bought a stihl 3kg splitting axe last weekend for €45. Used it first a bit yesterday and was happy. Used it today on a different lot of wood which was in toughh in fairness but the handle broke just at the top were it joined the head! Would go back with it but it would cost me that in diesel to go there and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Maybe get it couriered back. They need to know they sold you a **** piece of equipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Fiskars all the way. Have the X17 (for small stuff) and the Super Splitter or X25 as it is called now. Have it 6 years and have split everything i have with it. When I got it i had to import from the States as not even Amazon had it.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Fiskars all the way. Have the X17 (for small stuff) and the Super Splitter or X25 as it is called now. Have it 6 years and have split everything i have with it. When I got it i had to import from the States as not even Amazon had it.

Easier to order, and cheaper, from Fiskars online shop. Shipped from the EU, order processed in Finland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Just got my fiskars x27 and have to say I am very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hey guys, does anybody have any opinion on the Bear Grills Gerber Hatchet?
    Cheers.
    http://www.gerbergear.com/Survival/Gear/Survival-Hatchet_31-002070

Cheers.

Bleuch.

Buy a good traditional hatchet from one of the swedish axe makers.

Cheers.
    My opinion? You are paying a lot for something probably made in China with Bear's name on it. Aldi have one for 12 euro.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-25-oct/products-detail-page/ps/p/premium-small-axe/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bleuch.

Buy a good traditional hatchet from one of the swedish axe makers.

Is your opinion due to Bear Grills sticking his name on it, or is this axe actually not that great. I had a look at some traditional axes and I was happy with the reviews, just not very easy to find offline. Do you know of anywhere that stocks wetterlings?
    blue5000 wrote: »
    My opinion? You are paying a lot for something probably made in China with Bear's name on it. Aldi have one for 12 euro.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-25-oct/products-detail-page/ps/p/premium-small-axe/

Well it's Gerber, and they have a good name, no? After that I coudln't give a fart who endorces it, once it works.

I had a look at that aldi axe and I wasn't thrilled, to say the least. Aldi is great for some items, but when it comes to quality, I am not convinced.

• Advertisement

Is your opinion due to Bear Grills sticking his name on it, or is this axe actually not that great. I had a look at some traditional axes and I was happy with the reviews, just not very easy to find offline. Do you know of anywhere that stocks wetterlings?

Well it's Gerber, and they have a good name, no? After that I coudln't give a fart who endorces it, once it works.

I had a look at that aldi axe and I wasn't thrilled, to say the least. Aldi is great for some items, but when it comes to quality, I am not convinced.

It's my opinion that it's a terrible tool compared to a Hultafors, Gransfors or as you suggest Wetterlings hatchet.

Gerber is not the brand it once was. I actually don't object to the Bear Grylls branding as long as the product is well made and represents some value for money. Those Gerber hatchets don't. I similarly dislike Fiskars X series axes.

An axe is one of those tools that can't be improved upon by modernising (read, making automation easier and cheaper to produce). A properly forged and wooden handled axe will always be a better option if you have or wish to develop the ability to use it skilfully.

Composite handles are fine for sledgehammers and lumphammers taking dogs abuse, but IMHO are only suitable for an axe that will be often abused and never employed in the hands of a skilled user, or on a cheap, mass produced 'tool' sold with gimmickery and a royalty or licensed endorsement associated.

If it's €10, go for it. If it's €40+, buy a real axe and reap the benefit yourself rather than giving it to plastic moulding plants, the Gerber brandname, Grylls licensing machine and all that nonsense.

As for where to buy, ebay or a google search will give plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Looking for a gransfors bruks small forest axe, seem to be out of stock in most uk sites and GF Sweden dont ship to Ireland. Anyone know of anywhere here where I can source one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭accidental forester

I bought a Gransfors Bruks small splitting ax from this crowd back in 2016, they appear to still carry the brand.

https://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Axes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 finbar82

Bought one of these from Donegans of Cavan a few years ago, great axe in fairness.

It's my opinion that it's a terrible tool compared to a Hultafors, Gransfors or as you suggest Wetterlings hatchet.

Gerber is not the brand it once was. I actually don't object to the Bear Grylls branding as long as the product is well made and represents some value for money. Those Gerber hatchets don't. I similarly dislike Fiskars X series axes.

An axe is one of those tools that can't be improved upon by modernising (read, making automation easier and cheaper to produce). A properly forged and wooden handled axe will always be a better option if you have or wish to develop the ability to use it skilfully.

Composite handles are fine for sledgehammers and lumphammers taking dogs abuse, but IMHO are only suitable for an axe that will be often abused and never employed in the hands of a skilled user, or on a cheap, mass produced 'tool' sold with gimmickery and a royalty or licensed endorsement associated.

If it's €10, go for it. If it's €40+, buy a real axe and reap the benefit yourself rather than giving it to plastic moulding plants, the Gerber brandname, Grylls licensing machine and all that nonsense.

As for where to buy, ebay or a google search will give plenty of options.

If you really want to spend big bucks on an axe, a blacksmith I know in UK will make you one, not cheap though, https://www.jameswoodblacksmith.co.uk/products

Another option would be buy an old one on ebay and put a new handle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi All,
    I have a Bahco hatchet, not sure which model as it has been rehandled a number of times now (I've probably had it for 20 years), looks like the camping hatchet on their website here https://www.bahco.com/int_en/products/tree-felling-forestry-tools/axes-hatchets-mauls.html
    I use it mainly for green woodwork, carving etc, I have to say I am really happy with its edge holding.
    I also have another bahco axe head (again rehandled many times) weighs about 1600g which I use as a forest axe, its a canadian pattern with a handle about 700mm long, again really holds an edge really well, and chops nicely without sticking.
    For me it would be hard to justify the extra cost of a hand forged axe given the high quality of the two Bahco's I use most of the time.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fiach rua timbercraft

Hi all, I source and refurb vintage axe heads, hanging them on handmade custom axe handles. I'm always looking for older heads to work with. If you are looking for an axe for a particular purpose, camping, felling, gardening or wedge banging let me know. I've a page on Instagram showing the type of axes I've finished among other things. Search for fiach.rua_timbercraft . Thanks!

Advertisement