Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Tetany

Options
  • 10-05-2015 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Be on the look out had a cow with tetany this evening, she was grand this morning in parlour.
    Vet was out and she's on the up now. If it was after evening milking she would be dead in the morning.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Recent blood samples taken during a prebreeding screen have shown up unexpectedly low Mg levels. It's a small number of tests but it underlines the warning above.
    I would suggest anyone going to collect cows for milking routinely carry a bottle of Mg and a flutter valve.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

greysides wrote: »
    Recent blood samples taken during a prebreeding screen have shown up unexpectedly low Mg levels. It's a small number of tests but it underlines the warning above.
    I would suggest anyone going to collect cows for milking routinely carry a bottle of Mg and a flutter valve.
    Have you ever seen a cow down with Tetney trow up her stomach contents and drown ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

More of a problem with the flacidity of muscles in Milk Fever but I could well believe it could happen with the convulsions of GT although the closest I've seen is a bit of green water at the nostrils.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭6270red

Follow up on the tetany situation, got a call from feed merchant at cow time this evening telling me the load of nuts I bought 2 weeks ago has no cal mag in the mix!
    A computer mistake. Had to get bags of sweet mag and mix with nuts in parlour. Cows barley touched the nuts. ****ing pissed off now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

It's been fairly cold here the last few nights with a cold wind and during the day too between the odd sunny spell.
    I left out a bucket today with the cows. Would you think it's Grass tetany type of weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭50HX

i've mag buckets out with past week, started last night with a half bale of hay in the feeder in the field as well

dangerous weather alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

I have a cow that got GT last year...I gave her 2 himag bolus 2 months ago and again yesterday before turning her out into aftergrass....how effective are they....have a bucket in field but no guarantee she will go to it

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

50HX wrote: »
    i've mag buckets out with past week, started last night with a half bale of hay in the feeder in the field as well

dangerous weather alrite

If Mg bolus was done same size as other ones, they would fly off theshelves. needing a second balling guns for mg is a bit silly. I put my mg bucket out and cows are flying through it, and as the oldtimers round me say, if they didn't need it, they wouldn't bother!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Access to a mouthful of hay and straw is a good thing from here out.

Advertisement