Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC - Backdated ?

Options
  • 25-01-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

How does backdating of ICC tax credits work? I wasn't aware of ICC until this month, when my second child was diagnosed with Autism. Now I am applying for this for both of my sons.

DS1 was diagnosed in 2016 (and although the GP has confirmed on the form that Autism was present since birth, she also provided the 2016 diagnosis date). In this instance I feel we can legitimately claim the past 4 years of ICC.

However DS2 was diagnosed earlier this month, and again GP confirmed Autism was present since birth, but noted the Jan 2021 diagnosis on the form. In this instance, we are not quite sure about claiming the past 4 years for him. We have had considerable expense in getting DS2 diagnosed privately and as we all know Autism is there from birth, so we have been dealing with it over the past 4 years. But we are not sure how Revenue would look at this?

So the question here is...... can we legitimately claim for DS2 for the past 4 years?

TIA !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could ask one of the advocate organisations perhaps. We got it backdated but we got a definitive syndrome diagnosis at age of two.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

How does backdating of ICC tax credits work? I wasn't aware of ICC until this month, when my second child was diagnosed with Autism. Now I am applying for this for both of my sons.

DS1 was diagnosed in 2016 (and although the GP has confirmed on the form that Autism was present since birth, she also provided the 2016 diagnosis date). In this instance I feel we can legitimately claim the past 4 years of ICC.

However DS2 was diagnosed earlier this month, and again GP confirmed Autism was present since birth, but noted the Jan 2021 diagnosis on the form. In this instance, we are not quite sure about claiming the past 4 years for him. We have had considerable expense in getting DS2 diagnosed privately and as we all know Autism is there from birth, so we have been dealing with it over the past 4 years. But we are not sure how Revenue would look at this?

So the question here is...... can we legitimately claim for DS2 for the past 4 years?

TIA !

You'll get it from birth or 4 years backdated, whichever comes first. Was in a similar situation myself.
    Have ye applied for Domiciliary Care Allowance ?
    Also either you or your partner may be eligible for Carers Allowance.

Also either you or your partner may be eligible for Carers Allowance.

It’s Ridiculous that it’s means tested. Not a goer in our house with very average salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

fits wrote: »
    It’s Ridiculous that it’s means tested. Not a goer in our house with very average salaries.

It could be worth a look. Again my wife and I were in a similar situation but
    once we drilled down into the numbers we were surprised at how much we were entitled to.
    Especially with having 2 with special needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Sorry to hijack the thread but didn't think there was much point in starting another ICC thread.

I need to get the ICC2 form filled out by a medical practitioner. Do I just bring this to my son's gp with his assessment report?

Thanks

• Advertisement

noler123 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but didn't think there was much point in starting another ICC thread.

I need to get the ICC2 form filled out by a medical practitioner. Do I just bring this to my son's gp with his assessment report?

Thanks

Yes that’s what we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Thanks Fits :)

Advertisement