Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple posts reported and so far ignored....

Options
  • 27-02-2021 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I've been falsely accused repeatedly by one poster tonight in the late late show thread, as well as threatened.
    I suggest you do something about it before you are held responsible due to inaction.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from the Dispute Resolution Forum as this is not disputing a card or ban

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your first report was about an hour ago

Please note the moderators are volunteers, and not expected to deal with reports 24/7

I am sure local mods will get to your reports in due course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

And all the while the libellous accusations have continued, followed by threats of violence. It's actually scandalous you don't deal with this.

Sorry, but I am going to bed

Goodnight

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry, but I am going to bed

Goodnight

So I've had a guy threaten violence on me, ask for my home address and you don't do anything about it?
    I'm actually staggered.

• Advertisement

Here's all the evidence needed

All reports have been looked at and dealt with as appropriate

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Could new mods not be added to the forum?

There's a list of 10/11 mods on the Current Affairs forum but it's only the same 2/3 mods that seem to actually be moderating the forum. Perhaps it's time to clear out some of the dead wood and get more active members involved.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

While you re right, certain mods seem to have 'inherited' mod access rather than actively mod the forum, I don't agree that moderation is limited to 2/3 mods. Myself and Beasty for example moderate in alternate timezones, other mods are also active from what I see through the mods forum and reported posts. It's a forum that easily burns people out, and I have noticed mods are taking a few days (and letting others know) that they are taking a breather, which IMO is a good thing.

• Advertisement

Tokyo wrote: »
    While you re right, certain mods seem to have 'inherited' mod access rather than actively mod the forum, I don't agree that moderation is limited to 2/3 mods. Myself and Beasty for example moderate in alternate timezones, other mods are also active from what I see through the mods forum and reported posts. It's a forum that easily burns people out, and I have noticed mods are taking a few days (and letting others know) that they are taking a breather, which IMO is a good thing.

When you look at Beasty's post here that he had to action 105 reports in 5 hours that's just too much for one person imo. It's easy to see how moderators are burned out.

It might be time for you and the other mods to have a discussion over who has 'inherited' moderator status and who is actually doing the work because as it stands it doesn't appear to be fair to either the mods or users when reports are piling up and abusive posts etc. are being left up for hours until the report queue is finally cleared by a mod.

As I said a clearing of dead wood might be best, just my opinion. Leaving mods on the list because they've always been there helps nobody and a glance at the list makes the forum seem like it's well covered for moderation when it probably isn't atm.

Saturday was an exception. I highlighted the number because it was the hardest "workload" I had ever had on the site

It was a Saturday evening and I was simply the only one around when all hell was breaking out following the Dublin demonstrations. Normally we can see 2 or 3 mods being active at the same time and I would say overall there are 5 or 6 mods who do get actively involved in modding one forum, or the other or indeed both. We've also added an extra mod and taken a couple of those who have been inactive off the mod list

I have been more focussed on the Coronavirus forum since we created it. I'm pretty close to most of the discussions there and I do feel it's a fantastic resource. Sometimes a thread can get a little heated but a bit of mod intervention normally brings it back in line. TBH I actually enjoy modding that forum and if anyone gets some relief/help from everything going on in the Covid world I am happy with that.

Obviously the AGS thread was out of hand on Saturday. I know Witcher you were heavily involved in those discussions and I would commend you for the restraint you showed in the face of what really could be considered intimidation. Again I was around to deal with stuff not quite in real time (because it was impossible to actually deal with each and every report as they came in)

Yes we probably could do with one or two more active mods - until late last year I was holding out some hope that the Coronavirus forum would be winding down rather than ramping up again. Equally we do have a recent addition to the mod team ho is only just settling into the team

Of course we also face criticism of inconsistency. More mods does not help that. However I think more of that happens in the CA forum. It's probably the most difficult forum on the site to moderate and indeed we find the mods themselves perhaps do not post as much there. That may be partly down to the mod workload, but also it can be a very divisive forum and attracts a particular type of poster. The advantage is it takes some posters away from the likes of AH or Politics where they can otherwise stir things

Perhaps the answer is for us (with additional resource as necessary) to try and split the work more formally between CA and Coronavirus. It allows more focus and also gives the respective mods a better "feel" for what's going on. That would not stop us intervening in the "other" forum if no mods are around - I've done so on a number of occasions in my capacity of CMod or Admin

Just to add, when there are large numbers of reports like that it can often be difficult to find time to look at context. Hence I may actually act against blatant breaches quickly, while leaving other reports until I get a bit of time to actually consider the point being made in the report, or the context of a post. We are usually dealing in shades of grey and sometimes I will leave a report for some time while I deal with others, giving me time to hopefully properly consider what action, if any, is warranted

I will of course defer to you folks on the topic of moderation, you always do a fair job.

I'd just be concerned about the workload on you all.

Fair dues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement