Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSN Messenger - Did you use it?

Options
  • 22-03-2019 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Ah the days of MSN messenger, a simpler time. So, did you use it, do you have fond memories of your chats? Does it still exist actually? I was just thinking to myself that over the years we've lost our anonymity on the internet. You used to exchange email addresses and chat, now you exchange mobile numbers and chat. A profile picture of yourself is normal whereas it wasn't necessarily on MSN.

I was thinking that everything seems to be moving towards the social media side of things, I used to belong to a CF forum years ago but it seems that everyone is in facebook groups now, that doesn't appeal to me as I prefer to post with some anonymity and so I don't know anyone with CF anymore.

When I first joined weight watchers it was a forum style like here but the last time I signed up it was like weight watchers facebook and you couldn't just ask a question and get an answer, and people were posting up wedding photos and all sorts of crap I didn't want to have to wade through, it was like having a facebook feed.

I don't know, am I just getting old and longing for a simpler time? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ASL?

Cyber?

*Drops pants*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

irc was where it was at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I used to use it all the time. Chatted to a few friends and also randos I met in chat rooms, had many an interesting conversation with them.

Ah chat rooms, they were so popular back in the day. The whole instant chat was an exciting thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Bebo was where it was at !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

ASL?

Cyber?

*Drops pants*

Ah sweet memories, you see that's what I'm talking about. The good old days :pac:

I wonder do the young folk even know what cybering is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was more an IRC man myself. mIRC was where all the cool kids were.

Bebo was where it was at !!

Giv me ur Bebo luv bbz xx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

petes wrote: »
    irc was where it was at

For nerds.

ICQ was where the cool people (And russian scammers) went.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Succubus_ wrote: »

Lets show them.

**I Put on My Robe and Wizard Hat**

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Used it a lot. Nudging away to my hearts content! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I still use it, 5 days a week, in it's current guise as Lync or Skype for Business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

2 middle aged men tearin' the handle off themselves while convinced the other or both is a 14 year old boy / girl?

I used to use it all the time. Chatted to a few friends and also randos I met in chat rooms, had many an interesting conversation with them.

Ah chat rooms, they were so popular back in the day. The whole instant chat was an exciting thing too.

I met my missus in a chat room ten years ago, we were being grammar Nazis. It was meant to be :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BeerFarts

Met my wife on Oceanfree chat back in the day. MSN messenger was the follow up chat we used every day. Fond memories of them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I worked for AOL at the time and had MSN, AIM and ICQ as my main source of entertainment!

Imagine if boards had a chat room, I'd love it! I guess a moderator's nightmare but I think it would be good craic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Bring back IRC

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BeerFarts

Imagine if boards had a chat room, I'd love it! I guess a moderator's nightmare but I think it would be good craic.

I always thought it was a step backwards when chat rooms started to disappear. They were great in finding randomers to talk to and perverts to piss off.

BeerFarts wrote: »
    I always thought it was a step backwards when chat rooms started to disappear. They were great in finding randomers to talk to and perverts to piss off.

Me too, nothing like having conversations with randomers. There always were the weirdos but sure you just ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Remember some people used to constantly log in and out so that they'd be popping up on people's screens. Trying to get their attention or something?

'Appear offline' was a good one to get out of chatting to people you were avoiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

oceanfree.net FTW!

Remember some people used to constantly log in and out so that they'd be popping up on people's screens. Trying to get their attention or something?

'Appear offline' was a good one to get out of chatting to people you were avoiding.

I'd be in a sulk if I logged into MSN and whoever I fancied at the time didn't say hello to me first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Oceanfree was a huge part of my early twenties. Really missed it when it ceased to be. MSN was the next big thing during and after Oceanfree. Kangochat was a rubbish alternative that paled in comparison, and had an idiotic admin with en ego the size of Jupiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Have no idea why they retired it.

Was on AOL first as had more friends on that, that went by the wayside also. The thrill of being online & getting a bing because someone logged on & it was now morning where they were in the US.

Moved later to another app called Trillian which could talk to both MSN & AOL (& some others) without needing to have all the apps open.

I know apps like kik exist where you don't exchange numbers but usernames instead but as far as I know you have to add someone to use it so you have to know the person already. Also, apps like kik seem to have a reputation as being used by married people to have affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MSN Messenger was great but then they tried to make it into a social media app and replaced it entirely in the end with Skype (which is still going - not the same as Skype for Business/Lync/Teams either)

There was a plugin you could get (Plus!) which stripped back a lot of the shyte and removed ads, but the decline was already underway :(

These days I prefer Viber to Whatsapp and don't do Facebook - but yea, good times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I started out with Yahoo chat rooms which led me to download Yahoo Messenger (I might my first long term girlfriend in a Yahoo Dublin Chat room! We chatted for months before finally meeting up, and then we ended together for four year!). Yahoo Messenger began to die off as people moved to MSN Messenger. I used MSN Messenger for years, but when it all moved towards Skype the whole IM thing was dying off

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep I used it a lot way back when, particularly with one ex of mine. We were on it chatting with each other for hours in a day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BeerFarts wrote: »
    Met my wife on Oceanfree chat back in the day. MSN messenger was the follow up chat we used every day. Fond memories of them.

Did you have the same username back then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Msn was the only reason I had a hotmail address. Used in the uni library to gather people from the 2 libraries or the various computer rooms to go to the bar. It was pretty handy for my year in the States too.

What is\was CF?

Advertisement