Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Broadcaster bows to government pressure.

Options
  • 15-10-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

www DOT thetimes.co.uk/tto/irishnews/article4586422.ece?shareToken=e1a535d27bd387610f0944b0795e7815

I can't post links yet. :(

What do ye make of this?
    One of Mr Noonan’s advisors appeared and bore down on one of the producers of the Today programme. With all the charm of an autocrat, he explained that neither the finance minister or the public expenditure minister would so much as breathe on a microphone unless all phone-in questions were made available beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

What do you make of it?

Not surprising to me. Surely this is how it's done to avoid gaffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

What do you make of it?

Not surprising to me. Surely this is how it's done to avoid gaffs.

So you don't see anything inappropriate here at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I didnt say it wasnt appropriate, just that I'm not surprised with it at all.

PR handlers have this game wrapped up. Any party in government would do the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I listened to the callers, quite a few of them were politically motivated so with due respect I can understand the handlers reasons.

None of the callers were mere Joseph or Josephine's

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

I was referring to RTE's behavior.

What kind of a threat "We're not going on if we don't have it our way."

What else were they going to do? Walk out of the studio and leave it to the producers to explain why?

I reject the assertion that there are too many gaffs out there for the media to have integrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Prudent move by RTÉ considering the amount of trouble shows like Liveline cause for them on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

OP, welcome to Politics. Normally we don't allow posters to just dump links and ask people what they think, ie a contribution from yourself is required beyond just posting a link and a snippet. Please read the charter when you get a chance.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement