Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjoining wall

Options
  • 06-06-2019 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Looking for some advice.

The adjoining wall for myself and my neighbour is unstable. My builder was out to assess and said it needs to be knocked and rebuilt.

I contacted the landlord of the neighbouring house and explained all and to be fair he agreed that it should he replaced.

He asked the Labour and materials cost and it's coming in at roughly 1500, so 750 between us. He thought this was on the expensive side and wants to get his builder out to look and give a quote. I have no problem with this as it was to he expected.

I explained that my builder has done work for us over the past 12 years and was 100% trustworthy and he seemed happy with that. He said that if his builder comes in cheaper we go with him and if it's roughly the same price as mine he will go with my builder

My problem is, how do I know that the builder he is getting is legit? I want to stick with my own builder for peace of mind. I'm really thinking of what ever quote I get from the landlord, to pay the extra to my own builder if required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

cruais wrote: »
    Hi folks

Looking for some advice.

The adjoining wall for myself and my neighbour is unstable. My builder was out to assess and said it needs to be knocked and rebuilt.

I contacted the landlord of the neighbouring house and explained all and to be fair he agreed that it should he replaced.

He asked the Labour and materials cost and it's coming in at roughly 1500, so 750 between us. He thought this was on the expensive side and wants to get his builder out to look and give a quote. I have no problem with this as it was to he expected.

I explained that my builder has done work for us over the past 12 years and was 100% trustworthy and he seemed happy with that. He said that if his builder comes in cheaper we go with him and if it's roughly the same price as mine he will go with my builder

My problem is, how do I know that the builder he is getting is legit? I want to stick with my own builder for peace of mind. I'm really thinking of what ever quote I get from the landlord, to pay the extra to my own builder if required.

There shouldn't be a huge difference in quotes.

If he's agreeable, and his builder comes in with a lower quote, let him pay half that and you pay the balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Hi folks

Looking for some advice.

I know of a boundary wall built recently, 16mlong/2m high for 8k.

It was done properly, foundations dug out., pier every 4m, 4inch block on flat, piers and wall capped, nice clean pointing.

Expensive at 8k, but given confines of site and finished product both parties were happy.

Your quote seems surprisingly low, unless the wall is just a couple of metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Allinall wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a huge difference in quotes.

If he's agreeable, and his builder comes in with a lower quote, let him pay half that and you pay the balance.

That's a great idea, once you wait until after he gives you the quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Thanks folks that's the plan. I'm waiting to see what he comes back to me with regarding his quote and plan on getting him to pay half that and I pay the remaining.

I'm getting my garden completely dug out (it's concrete based) with all remaining walls skimmed and soiled with grass. So you can also see my dilemma in that the price for the wall is completely separate to the remainder of my garden however I want my builder to do the complete job.

He is excellent. Was talking about pointing capping etc. Whereas I have no faith in next door s builder as the property is a dump

Wall length is about 3 metres. Height is going to be whatever height we can legally go. I think it's just below 6ft

• Advertisement

Hi guys. Have a problem now

Have been trying to get an update the past 3 days as my builder is ready to start and I'm home for a few days. Have sent 2 texts and a phone call and he will not get back to me.

I'm prepared to just pay for the wall myself to stop the messing around but not can't get a hold of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Hi guys. Have a problem now

Have been trying to get an update the past 3 days as my builder is ready to start and I'm home for a few days. Have sent 2 texts and a phone call and he will not get back to me.

I'm prepared to just pay for the wall myself to stop the messing around but not can't get a hold of him

Just go ahead and do your own thing. You’ll have a stress free job and if he’s anyway sound he’ll drop you in a few Euro.

Advertisement