Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#trashtag

Options
  • 10-04-2019 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Have noticed this trending all over the place except Ireland.

People band together, collect street rubbish and post about it (before & after photos).

Are we that lazy or uncaring that it hasn’t got going here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

We're slower on the uptake with social media trends at times, but there are local and national initiatives for clean up days

https://teamlimerickcleanup.ie/about-us/
    http://www.nationalspringclean.org/
    http://www.dublincity.ie/teamdublincleanup
    https://www.facebook.com/worldcleanupdayie/

I'm sure people will complain about the need to post to show that you've done something, but if it results in people cleaning up and spreading the word further (and all it costs is people getting some gratification and plaudits for their efforts) then it should be encouraged.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I've always collected any rubbish I see thrown around the immediate area - I don't need "social media trends" to keep my environment clean and tidy, because I'm not a swivel-eyed blithering idiot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It's great to see. We need to stop making so much trash in the first place though. People are dirty feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

xckjoo wrote: »
    It's great to see. We need to stop making so much trash in the first place though. People are dirty feckers.

Was out for a walk in Mount Jerome cemetery recently, a car passed us out and the passenger flung a can out the window about 50m in front of us.
    Some people.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't wait for the people jumping on board for some virtue signalling. I'm all for any effort to help improve the rubbish situation, but I can see this being turned into a 'look how good i am' kind of thing. Why is there a need to post a before/after? Why not just do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can't wait for the people jumping on board for some virtue signalling. I'm all for any effort to help improve the rubbish situation, but I can see this being turned into a 'look how good i am' kind of thing. Why is there a need to post a before/after? Why not just do it?

What's the harm in it really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Inspire people who otherwise spend all day on FB?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why do we need a hashtag? It's a regular occurrence in Ireland, most noticeably during Tidy Towns and Spring. Just because people aren't tweeting or facebooking it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Why do we need a hashtag? It's a regular occurrence in Ireland, most noticeably during Tidy Towns and Spring. Just because people aren't tweeting or facebooking it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Conversely, just because people are posting it on social media, doesn't mean they haven't helped improve things. Tidy Towns groups regularly post on Facebook and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Never heard of this trashtag and people are indeed often dirty feckers but Strandhill beach and dunes were absolutely full last weekend of families and their children in hi-vis vests picking up the rubbish. The place was spotless. Bualadh Bos, seaside peoples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe it's just my pessimistic outlook on a lot of things, but I believe a lot of people only do this only so they can share it on social media. They'll do it once, post about it, get all the likes and never do it again. It's great if it actually makes people sort out rubbish on a regular basis, but there's no need for the #. But again, i'm slowly turning against social media in general, due to this reason and the incessant need to prove you're better than others, or you're having a better time, whereas it's all for like-whoring.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

OU812 wrote: »
    Have noticed this trending all over the place except Ireland.

People band together, collect street rubbish and post about it (before & after photos).

Are we that lazy or uncaring that it hasn’t got going here?

Have you gone out with a bag and collected other peoples' rubbish recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Nixonbot wrote: »
    What's the harm in it really?

An act is not virtuous if it is done for praise/recognition. Intent matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Undividual wrote: »

If someone washes my car I don't care how virtuous they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm only concerned with the act. Less trash > more trash, regardless of why it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And the Lord sayeth "spread forth the virtuous".
    If they clean our beaches, streams, and walkways, then let them receive praise and recognition. It is an acceptable quid pro quo.

Wish there was more community effort in cleaning our environmental spaces. Along the lines of "Tidy Towns" volunteers, who do a wonderful job around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Have you gone out with a bag and collected other peoples' rubbish recently?

Not sure what it’s got to do with the original question, but I actually do. Box of latex gloves & a roll of bin bags in the boot. If we go out anywhere we always try to tidy up a bit, (depending on where it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jimgoose wrote: »
    I've always collected any rubbish I see thrown around the immediate area - I don't need "social media trends" to keep my environment clean and tidy, because I'm not a swivel-eyed blithering idiot. :D

Very much in agreement with this. I do weekly litter pick for a mile stretch of rural road here. I fill at least two large black bags each time. Posting about it on social media will not change the mindset of the culprits and I don't need any social media verification to keep me attempting to protect our natural and living environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I know at least two people that go for a walk and start picking up any rubbish they see. They do it because they don't like litter. They don't post about it on Twitter though. One of these people wouldn't even know anything about computers. Not every good deed people do has to have a hashtag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If a post on social media encourages somebody else to join, or a litter bug to realise that ordinary people are cleaning up after them, is either outcome a bad one?
    I neither tweet nor have facebook, but some peoples lives are all about the likes after all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement