Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Randomly Switching Off

Options
  • 09-04-2019 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for some advice:

Over the last couple of days my PS4 (launch model) has been switching itself off after maybe 20 mins of RDR2. Never happened before and it's 5 years old. Now what has changed in the last few weeks is that we moved apartment and now the PS4 is in a closed cabinet with a closed rear under the telly (the front of which I open when PS4 is on) whereas previously it was on a shelf beside the telly (i.e.open front and back).

When it switches off it won't turn on again for 20 mins or so.

I took it apart last night and used compressed air around the fan, vents, hard drive etc and fired it back up but it turned itself off again after the usual 20/30 mins.

The tv cabinet is open but maybe not enough air is still getting in? (Although I've been using it like this for a couple of weeks and the issue only started 3 days ago). Would turning it back-to-front so that the fan is facing out of the cabinet help?
    Thanks anyone who takes the time to offer their thoughts.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

now the PS4 is in a closed cabinet with a closed rear under the telly (the front of which I open when PS4 is on) whereas previously it was on a shelf beside the telly (i.e.open front and back).

Not ideal, just circulating hot air.
    Would turning it back-to-front so that the fan is facing out of the cabinet help?

Worth a try.
    If it still shuts down, then the issue is with the PS4 itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It seems abundantly clear to me that having it in a closed cabinet is a terrible idea.

For starters, rectify that.

I had a similar issues with a ps3 last summer and it was fixed by the big clean suggested. Including hovering all the vents etc. Mayhe break up what dust you can see with a cotton bud and let the hoover catch it. Be thorough.

When it overheats, the light strip on top changes to red. This should help to diagnose if it is shutting down due to overheat or some other issue.

If it is overheating, the most likely cause (from your description) is indeed the cabinet. Closed-back and/or cramped cabinets are no good. Put it somewhere else. Don't forget you can put it vertical (with the stand) if space on top of the unit is an issue.

Other possible causes of overheat are dust clogging, failed/failing fan, poor thermal path (re-do the paste) etc. But the cabinet is first thing to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

When it overheats, the light strip on top changes to red. This should help to diagnose if it is shutting down due to overheat or some other issue.

If it is overheating, the most likely cause (from your description) is indeed the cabinet. Closed-back and/or cramped cabinets are no good. Put it somewhere else. Don't forget you can put it vertical (with the stand) if space on top of the unit is an issue.

Other possible causes of overheat are dust clogging, failed/failing fan, poor thermal path (re-do the paste) etc. But the cabinet is first thing to address.

Really - I don't think the light strip flashes red, also I did the clean. I may bring it to a gadget repair place altogether, but after 5 years or so it may just be a case of it being knackered.
    Set it to restore database lat night before bed, so it switched itself off and as of this morning I think it was still going because it still wouldn't switch on just before I left for work.

Advertisement