Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Not good, but not enormously surprising either when you don't kill the game.

Nevertheless we're streets ahead in terms of quality, our bench is top notch and I think we'll run them ragged in the second half. 4-1 to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Zaph wrote: »
    Bollocks

Well, by the sound of it we need to score three in the second half to negate Sheffield luck, leeds wasted chances and a few dodgy refereeing decisions because if he lets baldock walk away from that without even a yellow hes bound to make a few mistakes at the cost of a goal in the second half. Im going to put my money on an extremely soft penalty.

Lol our luck in the end

Cracking finish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

You can easily see we are a better team but not killing them off like we should, we are only playing well in short bursts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Is it just me or every time Alioski gets the ball he gives it away?
    Good three points anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It was almost like we thought that even if they score, we'll get another one. Looked like a training game. Brilliant on the break, but the last phase was poor.

That was a lot harder work than it should have been, but I'll take it, a win's a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Great game from Llorente. Phillips excellent as usual. Best Roberts has played all season. Alioski a liability and wasteful. MOT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Starting to think we're safe from relegation

• Advertisement

Starting to think we're safe from relegation

Let's not get ahead of ourselves :D

Who thinks we could pick up a point or more at City? I know it's unrealistic but there couldn't possibly be a better time to play them sandwiched between the Dortmund games. They won't like our exhausting style of play and Guardiola will rest players (I'm also aware of how good the replacements are). All we need now is for the Leeds lad to do the business on Tuesday. There's nothing Pep wants more than the CL with City so a decent Dortmund result really helps us. I also think we'll raise our game.

City 2 Leeds 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,478 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Who thinks we could pick up a point or more at City? I know it's unrealistic but there couldn't possibly be a better time to play them sandwiched between the Dortmund games. They won't like our exhausting style of play and Guardiola will rest players (I'm also aware of how good the replacements are). All we need now is for the Leeds lad to do the business on Tuesday. There's nothing Pep wants more than the CL with City so a decent Dortmund result really helps us. I also think we'll raise our game.

City 2 Leeds 2

Pep has said that Leeds are the worst team they could be playing in between cl games, but I imagine they'll be too strong for us. Be great to take something from it though!

Mushy wrote: »
    Pep has said that Leeds are the worst team they could be playing in between cl games, but I imagine they'll be too strong for us. Be great to take something from it though!

I'm expecting city to dominate possession because they wont be sloppy and give it away cheaply. Every player they have has the ability to pass the ball fast and accurately. They could use our pressing against us by keeping the ball moving, we will chase, get tired and leave gaps. Then there is the quality of set pieces, teams dont even need to be average to score from set pieces.

I think you're right but we're overdue a good performance and we've more or less got everyone fit. With the league effectively over Pep won't risk prominent players if they're chasing a result in Dortmund. Don't write us off just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

First back to back wins in a long time. Always threaten to go on a good run, but often end up with the draw. So good to do it against another Yorkshire club.

Whatever about today, Leeds must have at least 10 goals in the top 20 goals of the year in the league. Lost count of how many slick goals we've scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭event

Pep says a lot of rubbish tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Depends how clinical Leeds are. Both will set up as they usually do and go for it. City will get goals. So comes down to how clinical Leeds are really. When Leeds are clinical, and given space which City will give, they are a match for anyone tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

Passing the 40 points mark will take a certain amount of pressure off the players too.

We won't be expected to take any points from the next three games, so I can see us playing more freely now.

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    Pep says a lot of rubbish tbf

He does, but in this matter I think he's right. It must be knackering to play us and that's not what you want in between two Champions League games in a week. Unless he rests several players it's going to take a hell of a lot out of them.

To be fair to Robert's, I think he is getting better by the game.
    He would have tried to pass that towards the touchline to get it to raphinha before, this time he played it behind the LB, that's good awareness, vision and it was nicely weighted. Harrison had a good game, that touch and cross for the OG was fantastic. He had a few great deliveries.

Hijpo wrote: »
    To be fair to Robert's, I think he is getting better by the game.
    He would have tried to pass that towards the touchline to get it to raphinha before, this time he played it behind the LB, that's good awareness, vision and it was nicely weighted. Harrison had a good game, that touch and cross for the OG was fantastic. He had a few great deliveries.

Yeah hands up here, I said a while ago Roberts isn't good enough. Doing well at the minute

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    How was that not a red card is what I'm wondering

It looks worse every time I see it. Red card all day long. How VAR can't see it is beyond me.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It looks worse every time I see it. Red card all day long. How VAR can't see it is beyond me.

The difference between a 2-1 win and a 4-1 win for us. Goal difference becoming ever more important as we make ground on Arsenal.

The difference between a 2-1 win and a 4-1 win for us. Goal difference becoming ever more important as we make ground on Arsenal.

Each place in the table is basically worth about £2m. From from that point of view, given the crowd less season, every place is worth a lot.

However, I really think that we'll do very well on TV money this year. Bielsa's salary is well and truely being paid for by TV money. Sky would have us on weekly if they could !!! No team can draw a neutral to watch a match more than Leeds can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Was amusing to see how frustrated Pat and Rodrigo were looking every time they got into decent positions and Dallas or Harrison tried a shot. Thought we were very wasteful around the edge of the box by taking the shot on every time whereas with a little more composure I think we would have opened them up easily a few more times.

We've been remarkably consistent against the teams we were supposed to beat which confirms that we're good enough for a mid table finish. Really looking forward to the next three games to see how we match up with a nearly fully fit squad.

Was amusing to see how frustrated Pat and Rodrigo were looking every time they got into decent positions and Dallas or Harrison tried a shot. Thought we were very wasteful around the edge of the box by taking the shot on every time whereas with a little more composure I think we would have opened them up easily a few more times.

We've been remarkably consistent against the teams we were supposed to beat which confirms that we're good enough for a mid table finish. Really looking forward to the next three games to see how we match up with a nearly fully fit squad.

Yep. Against the current bottom 6 so far

Played 9
    Points 24 (from 27, just a loss to Brighton)
    Scored 22
    Conceeded 9

With games vs WBA, Brighton and Burnley to come. Over half our points gotten from those 9 games.

For us to take the step up, its the mid table teams we need to beat more.

Everybody ready to shout on Dortmund tonight? They get a decent result and we could do well against a weakened side on Saturday.

Must say also that I'm delighted to see the Hammers do so well. Would be nice to see them and Leicester take two CL slots from more established sides.

And I think we can do that.

Unlucky against Wolves twice,Villa at home,Everton at home and we've beaten
    Villa,Everton and Leicester.

Definitely grounds for optimism.

Everybody ready to shout on Dortmund tonight? They get a decent result and we could do well against a weakened side on Saturday.

EVen with Citys weakened team I fear for us. They are in the zone at the moment. And I reckon they'll beat Dortmund easy enough
    And I think we can do that.

Unlucky against Wolves twice,Villa at home,Everton at home and we've beaten
    Villa,Everton and Leicester.

Definitely grounds for optimism.

Yep 100%

• Advertisement

Yep. Against the current bottom 6 so far

Played 9
    Points 24 (from 27, just a loss to Brighton)
    Scored 22
    Conceeded 9

With games vs WBA, Brighton and Burnley to come. Over half our points gotten from those 9 games.

I think being realistic, those teams below were always going to be our main rivals after promotion. That we have been able to so comprehensively distance ourselves from them this season lays an excellent foundation to build on to go after the likes of Villa, Wolves and Everton next season. Once we can get established in the middle of the pack for a season or two then we can start dreaming of bigger and better things. If Leicester and West Ham can do it, there's always room for one more, we just have to be patient.

I think being realistic, those teams below were always going to be our main rivals after promotion. That we have been able to so comprehensively distance ourselves from them this season lays an excellent foundation to build on to go after the likes of Villa, Wolves and Everton next season. Once we can get established in the middle of the pack for a season or two then we can start dreaming of bigger and better things. If Leicester and West Ham can do it, there's always room for one more, we just have to be patient.

This is the bit that worries me tbh. Our fanbase are very unrealistic IMO and once back in the stadium there will be serious tension and moans. Can imagine the shouts now when Bamford misses a chance when we are losing 1-0 and 40k fans there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I wouldn't be too worried about the £62 million debt. It is being overblown.
    It could mean that we don't pick up anything on the transfer market though.
    Every club will be in the same boat because of Covid.

EVen with Citys weakened team I fear for us. They are in the zone at the moment. And I reckon they'll beat Dortmund easy enough

I think, and hope, not. Teams that struggle in the league often raise their level for the CL. See also Liverpool and PSG this season. Thus I expect Dortmund to go up a gear tonight. The Leeds lad has ten goals in six CL games and I'd expect another tonight. City need a 2/3 goal cushion with no away goals and I don't think they'll get that.

I still hugely fear them on Saturday though, even with several changes. But hey, we're due a performance. And greater accuracy.

We're seven points ahead of Wolves and only two behind Villa, five behind Everton though the latter two have a game in hand on us.
    I don't think we'll catch Everton but we're likely to finish above Wolves and possibly above Villa. We're seven points from a Europa spot and that's where we'll be aiming next season. We've got the extra San Fran 49ers money and we'll buy decent players though we really don't need more than three if we retain those we want to. The team will gel even better next season and I'd expect us to scrape a Europa spot or just miss out.

These are not unrealistic expectations. We have the money. We have the manager. We have the home support. We have the players.

I just hope that Bielsa will stay long enough to see us in a European competition

championc wrote: »
    I just hope that Bielsa will stay long enough to see us in a European competition

I think the only thing that will make bielsa leave is if Radz or Orta start interfering with the squad. He seems to love the area and what the club are about.

I think we'll get one more year out of him tbh. No idea why, just think that'll be it

He'll be 66 this summer, so realistically retirement has to be a possibility in the not too distant future. I agree that we'll have him next season as well, but after that it remains to be seen if he wants to keep going or decides he's had enough. He lives and breathes football, but he may finally decide that he'd like the quiet life for a change. I don't think he'll go anywhere after Leeds and this will be his last job, however long it lasts.

I think we'll get one more year out of him tbh. No idea why, just think that'll be it

Same here. He's given us more time than any other club and must be missing his family and home. I'm just happy we've probably got another year and would love to be wrong about the following season.

The replacement needs to be in the same mould for continuity. Poch would have been ideal but likely well out of reach in 15 months even if we've greatly improved and PSG have sacked him. Other successors?

• Advertisement

Had he stayed at Leeds Carlos Corberan would have to have been considered the obvious successor. But he's not doing great at Huddersfield and they were thumped by Norwich last night, so I'm not sure he'd be in the running any more. I'm guessing that Victor and Radz have a couple in mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were as left field as Bielsa was.

Ah im not too bothered thinking about a successor at the moment, a year is a lifetime in football

Had he stayed at Leeds Carlos Corberan would have to have been considered the obvious successor. But he's not doing great at Huddersfield and they were thumped by Norwich last night, so I'm not sure he'd be in the running any more. I'm guessing that Victor and Radz have a couple in mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were as left field as Bielsa was.

The reason he left was obviously to put himself in a stronger position for the Leeds job but that's seemingly backfired. It'd require a major transformation next season to get himself back in the running.

I'm struggling to think of obvious successors so agree regarding an unexpected choice. We should be able to attract most desirable managers so our options aren't too limited.

Ah im not too bothered thinking about a successor at the moment, a year is a lifetime in football

Totally agree, it's impossible to say who'd be available (and interested) next week, never mind next year. We'll just enjoy Bielsa for as long as we have him and worry about the unthinkable when it actually happens.

The reason he left was obviously to put himself in a stronger position for the Leeds job but that's seemingly backfired. It'd require a major transformation next season to get himself back in the running.

I'm struggling to think of obvious successors so agree regarding an unexpected choice. We should be able to attract most desirable managers so our options aren't too limited.

Watched some of the build up to this last night as I'd be interested to see how Corberan is doing.

General view was that he'd need more than one year to make any headway so hopefully he gets it.They are 3rd in possession stats but obviously have problems at the back.............Richard Keogh, Richard Stearman and Jonathon Hogg were their back three, 99 years between them,hardly a foundation for the future.

Norwich looking really good at Championship level and look like exceeding our points total of 93 by some margin. They'd only 2 loan players in the starting 11 last night but Skipp from Spurs looks a really good player. They might be in a better state when they come up this time.

Watched some of the build up to this last night as I'd be interested to see how Corberan is doing.

General view was that he'd need more than one year to make any headway so hopefully he gets it.They are 3rd in possession stats but obviously have problems at the back.............Richard Keogh, Richard Stearman and Jonathon Hogg were their back three, 99 years between them,hardly a foundation for the future.

Norwich looking really good at Championship level and look like exceeding our points total of 93 by some margin. They'd only 2 loan players in the starting 11 last night but Skipp from Spurs looks a really good player. They might be in a better state when they come up this time.

How was Cantwell last night? We may be keen again this Summer but clearly at a greatly more inflated price than we would have paid last year.

They will be promoted, no chance they'll sell him this year I reckon.

I'll be honest, I wouldnt want Corberan as manager, even if does well in the Championship. When MB leaves, we will be an established PL team (hopefully) so I think we should be looking at more established managers. Just cos he was MB 2nd in command isnt enough for me.

I think the main advantage of appointing Corberan would have been continuity as both he and the players would be well tuned in to Bielsa's methods. But with him moving away that continuity will have been long broken by the time Bielsa leaves, so there's not much point in giving him greater consideration over other candidates. I agree with event that when the time comes we'll be looking at bigger names and will hopefully be an attractive enough proposition by then for them to want to take over.

I think the main advantage of appointing Corberan would have been continuity as both he and the players would be well tuned in to Bielsa's methods. But with him moving away that continuity will have been long broken by the time Bielsa leaves, so there's not much point in giving him greater consideration over other candidates. I agree with event that when the time comes we'll be looking at bigger names and will hopefully be an attractive enough proposition by then for them to want to take over.

Exactly this. If Bielsa stays another year,we pick up two or three quality players in the summer and get fans back into the ground,we are a really exciting opportunity for someone to try smash the top six over a three / four period. Not saying we can do it but we can give it a decent rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Cantwell won't be moving now but Buendia is the star from Norwich and would suit us well I think. He won't be moving either though. Still think they'll struggle again next year without big investment. They are all top Championship players and some are good enough for Premiership but not enough of them. Hanley, Vrancic, Hugill, Dowell, McLean and Gibson won't strike fear into anyone.

Would like to see Leixlip man Andrew Omobamidele continue to get first team football with them in the PL but he'll be back-up at best I assume.

One the manager front, one attainable manager I'd be interested in would be Ralph Hassenhuttl. Please God we won't be looking for anyone for a looooooong time though as I never want Bielsa to leave.

Advertisement