Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The run of games until the end of February are difficult, we could well find ourselves playing catch up for the top 4 and out of the CL. Once we get over February our run in isn't too bad and if the new lads have settled in at the back and a few injuried lads back again I think we'll make top 4, but, it could be a little tight for comfort. If we can get over Leipzig and get a favourable draw we could go deep into CL, but, hard to see us winning it now

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd have liked us to play a Cb today, but would have gone with one of the new lads. It wouldn't have been fair to Philips to throw him in today I think, his game is suited to certain things, but is very vulnerable to other things - and City happen to be in the latter camp. He's poor defending fast players on the ground, and they'd have just attacked him all day and made a fool of him. You saw how Sterling and Foden absolutely rinsed reasonably mobile players (Trent, Fab, and Robbo) - imagine those lads against Philips slow feet.

Henderson in midfield might have given the defence more protection, so City may not have been able to get at Philips as easy as they were able to get in today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea a point behind us now.

Title and relegation as good as decided. All eyes will be on the top 4 race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Im sure we will finish 2nd or 3rd which considering everything isnt that bad

Id like to see the following replaced this summer
    Adrian
    Gini
    Milner
    Shaq
    Ox
    Origi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just compare how much our CM players - the lads who have always brought the bulk of the team's energy - are being rested and rotated now versus over the last two seasons. The difference is significant.

But that's because of injuries and midfileders been used in defence.
    The lineup has never been settled like it was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Important not to overreact, and throw the baby out with the bathwater. Without playing great, we were level with 15 to go. We were playing OK, not up to last years standards, but OK. No one can plan for individual errors like Alison today, crazy stuff, but he's been one of our best performing players since he's come so no point being too down on him.

Where do we go now? Well, we need to reset, and in midfield especially. I understand why Oblak wasn't started, a new team, a new league, against one of Europe's top teams, who don't play a traditional forward line Was asking for trouble, so it was a sensible if conservative choice by Klopp.
    I'd like to see either Fab or Henderson back in the middle, ideally both, but with them in front of the new lads even they should bed in OK.
    We're playing too safe, probably to protect the back line as much as anything. We need to cut loose a bit IMHO, play more off the cuff and attack on instinct more. It's OK blaming Bobby and Sadio for perceived poor form, but the ball is moving so slow in the opposition half it's not individuals that are at fault.
    As I said last week, the league is gone. The trolls will enjoy it, but who cares. Regroup and get going again. Second ace is still achievable, but top 4 is certainly there for the taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Im sure we will finish 2nd or 3rd which considering everything isnt that bad

Id like to see the following replaced this summer
    Adrian
    Gini
    Milner
    Shaq
    Ox
    Origi

For what reason specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's not quite that simple imo - it's not a huge squad, but we do have HUGE depth in midfield (Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Thiago, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Jones), as a solution to the problem of running players into the ground. Most of our teams running is the midfield - they're the ones who bring the energy and the majority of the press since 18/19. And as a result, there's constant rotation there. We had enough men in CM to keep the intensity up fairly indefinitely with the depth to keep people fresh.

The problem isn't the running or squad size - it's losing all of our CB's at once, so that now all of the fit CM's are playing every single game between midfield and defence and no-one can be rested as the system was designed to do. Yes, we should've had an extra CB, but even if we had that and could then have been said to be responsibly covered, losing the other 3 would've created much the same problem as we've found ourselves in. So, basically, it's a bit of a freak occurance. Hopefully the new CB's can settle in enough that our CM's are not so absolutely fucked.

Going in to a season as PL champions and the previous seasons CL winners , having gone to the knockout stages again, the club should be expecting to have to deal with 50-60 games a season every season. It shouldnt be a case of writing off the cups and complaining the squad isnt there to compete on all fronts. Its a conscious choice to do that whereas the likes of City dont.

From a fans point of view, signing 2 CB's was left till the final hours of the transfer window when everyone was saying for weeks CB's were needed. That doesnt look good and seems like they waiting till the last possible minute hoping to be able to muddle on through the 2nd half of the season.

Enzokk wrote: »
    Just to point why we look tired and not playing with the same energy as before,

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/1358473066758692867?s=20

This means there are fewer players to rotate so our players have more minutes that they are playing so it effects the whole team.

Yes... We often commented how fortunate we were with relatively few injuries iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

mosstin wrote: »

Because he's off to Barca

He wont sign a contract so needs replacing
    I wish hed stay but he wont sign

Ox and Keita are at the stage where they are a waste of squad space.... Keita might not be a total right off (although PL seems too much for him physically unfortunately) but Ox is IMO. They offer no strength in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Henderson in midfield might have given the defence more protection, so City may not have been able to get at Philips as easy as they were able to get in today

Hendo's a great player, but he's just one man. City started with 3 players (Foden, Sterling, Mahrez) who would all have been a nightmare for Philips.

I don't disagree with starting a CB and letting Hednerson move to midfield - Philips is just the very last one I'd have started, as he's the one least equipped for that sort of game.

murpho999 wrote: »
    But that's because of injuries and midfileders been used in defence.
    The lineup has never been settled like it was before.

Yup, that's what I was getting at.

He's the first one out the door and it's by choice, his choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Should just stick the 2 new lads in for the Leicester game. Yolo and ting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Get Fab back into midfield and he can protect the center backs as well as doing what he does in midfield.

When Keita and Jota are fit they can replace Bobby and Mane to give them a break.

Ali

TAA
    Kabak
    Davis
    Robbo

Fab
    Thiago

Hendo
    Bobby
    Mane

Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Losing Virgil is one thing, but we had at least two breaks today where we stopped the ball in the final third, turned the game around and played it back to the defense. Toothless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

This whole break business is a joke. Liverpool have time to prepare against Leicester.

jebidiah wrote: »
    Losing Virgil is one thing, but we had at least two breaks today where we stopped the ball in the final third, turned the game around and played it back to the defense. Toothless.

I wonder was it tactical?

It happened to oftern, where we went forward and put the breaks on in the first half, Klopp also said we played well first half iv a feeling he was happy to contain City

Even the subs of Jones for Shaq, Thaigo for Milner, they where not going to add any legs breaking forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Ì'm more than happy for Gini to leave this summer.

That's harsh. Klopp has played him into the ground. He looks knackered these past few games. Still a very good player to have on the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Keane calling Liverpool "bad champions". What an arse. Glossing over the small fact that Liverpool have been playing midfielders in centre back positions for most of season due to unprecedented and savage injuries.

That's like rubbing salt on the wounds. Prick.

One of the problems with our squad is that we are carrying 3/4 players (Matip, Keita, Ox, Shaqiri) that we all know will not be available for the majority of our matches, before a ball is even kicked, so when some of the other squad players do get injured we're suddenly down to the bare bones. In most cases it seems to be one injury rolling into the next, but, rarely a really serious or long term injury. I don't mind players getting long term injuries like VVD or Gomez, that can happen, but it's the constant small injuries the likes of Keita and Matip (until his recent injury) that's really frustrating.

As Klopp likes to work with a smaller squad we can't really be carrying any passengers, doesn't matter how good players are, if they're not available they are of no use. Injuries are going to happen in any squad and can't be avoided, but, we should get rid of players with poor record injuries over multiple seasons.

Augeo wrote: »
    Ox and Keita are at the stage where they are a waste of squad space.... Keita might not be a total right off (although PL seems too much for him physically unfortunately) but Ox is IMO. They offer no strength in depth.

Yeah, I'm holding out just a glimmer of hope in Keita, with the perhaps very naive dream that the newly hired recovery doctor chap's plan for him works. I'm glad they're trying it at least, keeping him out of the team to properly build supporting muscle so when he comes back he may be more robust. The fact these issues are really only since he joined Liverpool (had a very normal injury record with the RB's) gives me a hair of belief that with proper medical oversight he can work on building physical redundancies for those weak spots he's developed. My brother had to go through a similar program before, building a tonne of leg muscle to take the weight and strain off his knees, and it worked really well.

If this last ditch effort doesn't work though, it's hard to ever put any faith in him going forward.

Getting a bit like Groundhog Day saying this but we really need a win in the next league game. Leicester away early next Saturday. Leicester actually have an FA tie on Wednesday evening first. What chance they still look fresher than us on the Saturday?

Getting a bit like Groundhog Day saying this but we really need a win in the next league game. Leicester away early next Saturday. Leicester actually have an FA tie on Wednesday evening first. What chance they still look fresher than us on the Saturday?

We do at least have a good recent record of pulling out big performances against Leicester. This season and last, those games have been standouts. I really hope we start at least 1 new CB for it... them being without Vardy makes life a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ardent wrote: »
    Keane calling Liverpool "bad champions". What an arse. Glossing over the small fact that Liverpool have been playing midfielders in centre back positions for most of season due to unprecedented and savage injuries.

That's like rubbing salt on the wounds. Prick.

Anyone who pays Sky for their coverage is an idiot at this stage. I watched it today, constant sniggering and 'bants' from Neville, Tyler mumbling and heavy breathing into the mic, Carra screeching, and to top it all Keane playing the professional troll, looking for reactions online on twitter and the likes. Very unprofessional if you ask me.

I long for someone to just commentate on the game, and perhaps a little insight from the Co commentator, or else just STFU and let the game at out. Inane chatter just filling the air, regardless of what's going on on the pitch.

Anyway, rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We do at least have a good recent record of pulling out big performances against Leicester. This season and last, those games have been standouts. I really hope we start at least 1 new CB for it... them being without Vardy makes life a lot easier.

He came off the bench today

He came off the bench today

F**k.

Vardy came off the bench for them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Anyone who pays Sky for their coverage is an idiot at this stage. I watched it today, constant sniggering and 'bants' from Neville, Tyler mumbling and heavy breathing into the mic, Carra screeching, and to top it all Keane playing the professional troll, looking for reactions online on twitter and the likes. Very unprofessional if you ask me.

I long for someone to just commentate on the game, and perhaps a little insight from the Co commentator, or else just STFU and let the game at out. Inane chatter just filling the air, regardless of what's going on on the pitch.

Anyway, rant over.

Keano was praising us a few months ago as fantastic champions so I wouldn't take him too seriously.

• Advertisement

Keano was praising us a few months ago as fantastic champions so I wouldn't take him too seriously.

Less than a month ago he still tipped us for the title,today he has utd supporters foaming at the mouth because he criticised liverpool heavily. I wonder at times are these types of debates staged by sky. Look at the publicity its getting this evening. Seems to be the highlight of some utd supporters season this evening seeing Keane putting the boot in. The day you take seriously what comes out of Keane's mouth is the day to step away from your phone/tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Less than a month ago he still tipped us for the title,today he has utd supporters foaming at the mouth because he criticised liverpool heavily. I wonder at times are these types of debates staged by sky. Look at the publicity its getting this evening. Seems to be the highlight of some utd supporters season this evening seeing Keane putting the boot in. The day you take seriously what comes out of Keane's mouth is the day to step away from your phone/tv.

But it works. RTE employed Eamonn Dunphy for decades and his was the same modus operandi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,825 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Seems to be the highlight of some utd supporters season this evening seeing Keane putting the boot in. The day you take seriously what comes out of Keane's mouth is the day to step away from your phone/tv.

Every team or individual sports star has certain amount of supporters who thrive on their rivals getting a bollocking online, in the press etc.

Seriously, what's new here? Tired argument/point imo.

Keane is just being Keane. He may have a point but he goes over the top lots of times, regardless of who he's criticizing.

But it works. RTE employed Eamonn Dunphy for decades and his was the same modus operandi.

You can bet your bottom dollar it works, thats the world we live in these days, What do they say,a pat on the back is very close to a kick up the arse. Look at the abuse Allison has got on twitter tonight,and that fella for Ireland today who fooked up the last kick in the rugby. Look even closer on the general thread here,the fascination some posters have with klopp is mind boggling, Whatever about utd supporters but Everton and Arsenal supporters,that is quite funny,can't remember the last time they were relevant.
    Imagine been 2 points off top and then be absolutely delighted that you end up 5 points behind this evening. And what Roy Keane says is the highlight of the weekend,thats the level of intelligence you are dealing with and Roy Keane's "analysis" fits right into their thinking

Anyway, rant over.

Sky is pantomime stuff..... Aimed at WWF fan types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What's your point? Opinions and circumstances change. We went from top of the league to being laughed at by rival fans. He's hardly going to still call us fantastic champions is he?

Hasn't your opinion changed since December?

Keane is of course fully aware he's p1ssed off some LFC fans..... Likely why he said what he said.
    WWF chaps.

Did klopp say this is the pre match press conference......

“We destroy with our backsides what we build with our hands, pretty much,” said Klopp.

With his audience somewhat bemused, his explanation – “It’s a translation from a German phrase” – was still greeted with a collective shrug of shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the only thing that annoys me is picturing Pickford's smug grin as he regales his entourage about how he ruined Liverpool's season. His career achievement.

Tom Brady won, the owners of that team are fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the only thing that annoys me is picturing Pickford's smug grin as he regales his entourage about how he ruined Liverpool's season. His career achievement.

Tom Brady won, the owners of that team are fantastic

Yeah, I wish we had those owners...;)

In any case, pundits has to be controversial otherwise they will not be pundits. This season I have seen a group of pundits claim us to be champions, to missing out on the top 4. Ole to be sacked, to possibly winning the league and being brilliant, to just being okay again. Lampard was building a dynasty, to being rubbish. Arteta should have been sacked, then he was good again and look what happens when you trust a manager, to being sacked again. City being over it and Pep having reached his end with City, to now being brilliant again and a visionary.

Basically pundits are posters from any thread, but the reactionary ones. You would not hire back someone who is telling you to be calm and it is not as bad/good as it seems. I still think we are more than good enough to finish second this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Probably heat of the moment but Carragher saying questions would have to be asked of Klopp was gas. We looked the business before Jota went out so clearly injuries have gotten the better of us.

Seems to be a tad harsh to be questioning Klopp under the given circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Keane went a bit over the top but the jist of what he said is true.
    We've been using every excuse we could find all season, both us the fans and klopp.
    Refs, VAR, schedule of games, city getting a rest, picford, injuries. An endless list of excuses to paper over the cracks.
    The truth is we have been poor all season and have been scrapping by. Injuries definitely played its part but we did gamble by not signing a cb. Turned out to be a bad choice not to buy but then who would have expected so many injuries at cb.
    Keane went over board no doubts but he wasn't wrong in the point's he was making

Enzokk wrote: »
    ............. I still think we are more than good enough to finish second this year.

Yes, but we likely won't and that's the problem IMO.
    Currently we are a point above West Ham (10 points from last 5 PL games), 3 points behind Leicester (8 points from last 5 PL games)........... 3 points ahead of Everton (8 points from last 5 PL games)...who have played 2 games less than us.

We are in a fight for top4 and in a woeful run of form......... those around us are plugging away with 1.6 to 2 ppg runs, doing nothing amazing really. We have to improve sharply from where we are to keep up with them.

7 points from 7 PL games is our 2021 haul.

We need 2ppg over the next 15 games to finish on 70 points........... I'm sort of hoping we won't need 70 points to get Top4 tbh. There seems to be quite a bit to put right at the moment so I'm hoping the lads can scrape top4 without having to put a really decent run together. It can't be easy to go from the last few season's highs to a run of form that we're on now, that in itself might bring about some issues, apart from the obvious low points haul recently.

On the silver lining side of things not much more than 70 points will get second place this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Once we can get the new CBs on the pitch we will be absolutely fine.

As regards Keane, its just commentary. No need to get that worked up about it. He's probably still pissed that Utd bottled whatever they were trying not to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

koppy wrote: »
    Keane went a bit over the top but the jist of what he said is true.
    We've been using every excuse we could find all season, both us the fans and klopp.
    Refs, VAR, schedule of games, city getting a rest, picford, injuries. An endless list of excuses to paper over the cracks.
    The truth is we have been poor all season and have been scrapping by. Injuries definitely played its part but we did gamble by not signing a cb. Turned out to be a bad choice not to buy but then who would have expected so many injuries at cb.
    Keane went over board no doubts but he wasn't wrong in the point's he was making

Stop using excuses as per your own post. We have either had injuries that would explain our drop off this season or we haven't. The people saying we should stop using injuries as an excuse need to explain how other teams have had to cope with the same and still performed to a high level for it to mean anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,356 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i genuinely don't understand not being able to give injuries as some sort of reason for the drop off.

it would quite literally be the height of stupidity to suggest it hasn't derailed us.

the amount of injuries at CB - and not just niggles - but season ending injuries, is unheard of. it's unprecedented.

it's just a fact. it's an uncomfortable fact for rivals who want to stick the knife in, but it's a fact. it's so fúcking easy to say 'stop giving excuses'. i'm not excusing it. and neither are the fans. we're all annoyed. we all expect more. we all want solutions from Klopp and the team. we're not letting them off the fúcking hook. they need to improve, and now.

but at the same time (and I don't say this lightly), it is the height of fúcking stupidity and tribalism to try and suggest that we should be competing like before with the current squad situation. it's just fúcking thick. as an example, Utd are a few points ahead of us, with all their CBs, and with what they call an attack on a par with anyone's in this League. but they're saying they can't compete without buying better CBs than what they have.

so how the fúck are we expected to realistically do it? it's honestly laughable.

every single one of our fúcking midfielders is playing every fúcking game they're even 75% fit, because 2 of them are playing at fúcking CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Augeo wrote: »
    Keane is of course fully aware he's p1ssed off some LFC fans..... Likely why he said what he said.
    WWF chaps.

WWF

Ah here, we are not going to start the Panda stuff again, are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Wouldn't be getting too worked up on Keane folks. He changes his opinion as much as his underpants

People saying Liverpool are using injuries as excuses,

Is there anyone on here that would have backed Liverpool to win the league without VVD , Gomez and Matip ?

Id wager no one is that stupid, so there for there not really excuses more like realities ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

What is becoming abundantly clear is that with VVD out long-term we have reverted to 2015/2017 type form. Even pre VVD we always put a run together after a sluggish mid winter so I'm confident top 4 will be secured. Rodgers Leicester have fluffed their lines on a number of occasions when presented with a chance to get on the mix for the top spot. They could fall back easily and I can't see West ham staying the course for top 4 with Moyes at the helm

I suspect it be ourselves Chelsea, utd and citeh in the champs lg spots

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement