Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in OP [Updated 01 March 21]

• 01-02-2021 8:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

This is the General Premier League Thread.

A thread to discuss the league.

Mod: The last thread got way off course and has been closed..

If you choose to post here make sure you are discussing the Premier League.

Mod Note 01/03/2021 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116440579&postcount=3149
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Mod Reminder: If you choose to post here make sure you are discussing the Premier League.

Mod Note: This is the general premier league thread. If a poster feels other posts are 'unfair', 'incorrect' or possibly a wind up then posters are welcome to engage in conversation and make counter points. If a poster does not want to make an effort to discuss the points of a post then it is suggested they ignore the posts. Posters are not welcome to offer a thread commentary.

The basic rule, as noted in the charter, is that when you post in a thread ensure you are adding to the debate and not commenting on the validity of the debate. If you believe a post/thread is in breach of the charter then you should report the post.

If you aren't discussing the points of a post, don't reply.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Really, Gary? :O

Is this is what we are to expect with our Premier League professional pundits now?

I'm sure if Manchester United's good form continued & Liverpool's bad form continued, he would have been there first person to say I told you so.

But now things haven't gone according to plan, so all of a sudden it was only a joke in the first place & he didn't mean it.

I think he should make a formal apology & admit his bias got the better of him.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1356210186411794433?s=20

Neville: Party time over, Liverpool are back.

Gary Neville: "I may have had a bit of fun, let's be clear, watching Liverpool drop points in those midweek games and seeing Man Utd go top of the league. I felt it was just a two or three-week party. I thought it would come to an end at some point and Liverpool would resume their form."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He's only doing what we did last year, managing expectations and pretending we hadn't won for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Off topic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Neville is a tv personality. TV does not just happen.

He works for sky and presents what they want him too and within the guide given by the producers. A bit like the Apres Match skit will Bill feeding the lads their roles.

He is not impartial and in general I get no sense from sky tv that they want impartial views presented, if anything they want to push narratives and hype things up.

On the other side, the opposite of hype, I thought this was interesting from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55875197
    Heading for a Premier League record
    So far this season there have been 17 meetings between the Big Six, five of which have ended goalless.

That is already the second-highest number of 0-0s between these teams in Premier League history - and we are only halfway through the season.

Only once in the past decade have there been as many goalless draws in a season. That was in 2015-16 and that was after 38 rounds of matches.

One more 0-0 in the 13 meetings that remain will see it equal the record of six set in 1994-95
    Chief football writer Phil McNulty

The goalless draw - whether it is the deadly dull stalemate or simply a good game that ends without a goal - will be part of football's fabric forever but the behind-closed-doors circumstances the Premier League finds itself in this season may just be a contributing factor to the number of deadlocks.

Having attended several of these fixtures this season, it is hard to escape the feeling that some would have played out differently had crowds, and the noise, passion and adrenalin rush they provide, been an added factor in the atmosphere.

The Manchester derby at Old Trafford in December was a classic example, with both United and City seeming, to the naked eye at least, to be settling for a goalless draw long before the final whistle as a dismal game petered out in tedium.

I have found some of the games surprisingly timid.

Everton and Fulham agree a deal for Joshua King. The phrase between a rock and a hard place springs to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Everton and Fulham agree a deal for Joshua King. The phrase between a rock and a hard place springs to mind

He'd be very good back up for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Arsenal have done well this window. Dumping off Ozil, Sokratis and Mustafi must've seriously reduced the wage bill.

Fulham are a lot closer to Bournemouth so it might suit him to play there.

Would be hard to turn down the chance to play for Ancelotti though on top of Everton's stength in the league historically and currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Taki Minamino gome to Southampton on loan
    Good move for everyone involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He'd be very good back up for Everton.

Yup, especially with Tosun off on loan today too. There's plenty of game-time to be had there for a decent backup striker with no other CF competition aside from nailed on starter DCL, and King would seem fairly ideal.

• Advertisement

Matip out for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭This is it

Matip out for the season

Long term? Doesn't count so.

This is it wrote: »

Its unreal first choice, second choice and third choice CB gone for the season absolute nightmare

This is it wrote: »

It counts.

It is a shame for Matip anyway regardless of the other injuries at Liverpool. He has missed a lot of time this and last season and at major clubs injury issues for players can lead to limited chances in future as clubs can't wait around.

On the other side looks like amazing opportunity for Davies, not a player I would have expected to be heading to Liverpool. Kabak also getting a chance earlier than he would have expected in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It really is nauseating sky's deadline day coverage. Acting excited about absolutely nothing and then throwing on Harry redknapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Moving to Everton, on a 6 month permanent deal. Which is certainly a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Matip out for the season

Explains the late push for Kabak.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Moving to Everton, on a 6 month permanent deal. Which is certainly a new one.

Unusual one alright, he was out of contract at the end of the season anyway. Talk that Southampton deal failed over money, Fulham were offering 3 and a half year deal. Short term deal probably suits both parties as they have more time to work on a longer deal now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Everton finally listening to me about King shame it's so many years late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Someone posted way back about Micah Richards , and what does he bring to a football discussion. IMO sweet fa. He’s actually really annoying after a while. Just a load of ‘guffaws’ a hysterical laughing at his own jokes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

cj maxx wrote: »
    Someone posted way back about Micah Richards , and what does he bring to a football discussion. IMO sweet fa. He’s actually really annoying after a while. Just a load of ‘guffaws’ a hysterical laughing at his own jokes!

I personally think he's a great personality, certainly better than Keane and Souness, two absolute old farts.

Jamie "spit in a child's face" Carragher and Gary "oooohhhhhhh" Neville have turned into a tiresome double act as well.

JPA wrote: »
    Explains the late push for Kabak.

It does but a 20 year old Kabak and a championship player won't be nearly as good as Matip,

I know he gets injured a lot but I think MAtip he could be the most underrated Cb in the league the guy is absolutely brilliant when he is on the pitch ,

thelad95 wrote: »
    I personally think he's a great personality, certainly better than Keane and Souness, two absolute old farts.

Jamie "spit in a child's face" Carragher and Gary "oooohhhhhhh" Neville have turned into a tiresome double act as well.

Keane 49 only a few years older than Neville and Carragher hardly an old fart ,

It does but a 20 year old Kabak and a championship player won't be nearly as good as Matip,

I know he gets injured a lot but I think MAtip he could be the most underrated Cb in the league the guy is absolutely brilliant when he is on the pitch ,

No point being brilliant when you are a crock.

Is Ben Davies going to play a single minute? Don't understand that one.

thelad95 wrote: »

Souness, yes. Keane, no.

A lot of that Micah Richard's personality comes from the relationship he has with Roy Keane in studio. Their double act is good craic & fun to watch.

Keane is brilliant, he's the only one who will say things as they are, no sugar-coating agenda-driven bullsh1t.

As for Carra & Neville, I could do without them also.

I enjoyed Carra & Neville when they started off, now it's just scripted & nauseating sh1te.

Keane is box office, I like his honesty. However, I don't think he analyses a game as well as Neville and Carragher. I watch him for quotes and something controversial. Keane's game analysis is as basic as it gets.

Neville and Carragher have decent enough analysis of the game. I'd guess they put more work into that side of it. Neville was a breath of fresh air for analysis when he started tbf.

Normally I would have no interest in Sheffield United v West Brom today at 6pm but it looks like a vital game for either side to have a chance of getting out of trouble.

I am curious to see if it will be like a cup game since both teams may as well lose as to get a point.

No point being brilliant when you are a crock.

Is Ben Davies going to play a single minute? Don't understand that one.

Davis makes perfect sense,
    We only have Fabhino and Kabak so if one of them gets injured (Fab is ) or needs a rest then will play ,

I cant see him starting till after the City game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

DM_7 wrote: »
    Normally I would have no interest in Sheffield United v West Brom today at 6pm but it looks like a vital game for either side to have a chance of getting out of trouble.

I am curious to see if it will be like a cup game since both teams may as well lose as to get a point.

Hopefully a repeat of this.

• Advertisement

Has Patrice Evra been on Sky Sports since letting slip about Henry refusing to watch an Arsenal match when he seen that Xhaka was captain/letting slip that Zaha was riding Moyes' daughter while Zaha was playing for & Moyes was managing Manchester United?

I'm not sure which of them came first or if they came on the same day or what it was but both were hilarious.

6 wrote: »
    Keane is box office, I like his honesty. However, I don't think he analyses a game as well as Neville and Carragher. I watch him for quotes and something controversial. Keane's game analysis is as basic as it gets.

Neville and Carragher have decent enough analysis of the game. I'd guess they put more work into that side of it. Neville was a breath of fresh air for analysis when he started tbf.

An awful lot of Monday Night Football is scripted, with the analysis points work done for Carra & Neville by the production team. But it's still a great watch. When they have time to put work in, it really helps, along with the big team that MNF have. I think the 2 tend to come out with the more sensationalist stuff a bit more, even on the regular Sunday show, when put on the spot and are not as clear thinking as when they have time to prepare their viewpoints. Both are very guilty on this, on opposite scales.

I actually like Souness. You take him for what he is, an 'oldie', who played in a different era and holds some characteristics in high regard. He says it how it is and is not afraid to say it either, which I like. I think a lot of the stick he receives originate from him being turned into a meme because he was the first person to dare criticise Pogba for not working hard enough.

As others have mentioned, I really like Liam Roseiner. I wish he could get more time on screens on some of the big shows, as opposed to getting ex-players in to fill a 'Player A played for Club A and Club A are playing tonight' quota.

Davis makes perfect sense,
    We only have Fabhino and Kabak so if one of them gets injured (Fab is ) or needs a rest then will play ,

I cant see him starting till after the City game ,

But how is a 25 year old player plucked from a mid table championship team supposed to slot in for the PL champions? Random AF.

Is it driven by lack of funds?

I think Souness is horrible to watch. Pure misery.
    The man has no joy in his life!

An awful lot of Monday Night Football is scripted, with the analysis points work done for Carra & Neville by the production team. But it's still a great watch. When they have time to put work in, it really helps, along with the big team that MNF have. I think the 2 tend to come out with the more sensationalist stuff a bit more, even on the regular Sunday show, when put on the spot and are not as clear thinking as when they have time to prepare their viewpoints. Both are very guilty on this, on opposite scales.

I actually like Souness. You take him for what he is, an 'oldie', who played in a different era and holds some characteristics in high regard. He says it how it is and is not afraid to say it either, which I like. I think a lot of the stick he receives originate from him being turned into a meme because he was the first person to dare criticise Pogba for not working hard enough.

As others have mentioned, I really like Liam Roseiner. I wish he could get more time on screens on some of the big shows, as opposed to getting ex-players in to fill a 'Player A played for Club A and Club A are playing tonight' quota.

That's actually a very good point regarding Souness & Pogba. Everybody & their dog has said it about Pogba on numerous occasions since, but because Souness was the first who dared to do it, he's the bad guy.

Excellent post overall also.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Has Patrice Evra been on Sky Sports since letting slip about Henry refusing to watch an Arsenal match when he seen that Xhaka was captain/letting slip that Zaha was riding Moyes' daughter while Zaha was playing for & Moyes was managing Manchester United?

I'm not sure which of them came first or if they came on the same day or what it was but both were hilarious.

Iv seen people talk about Evra getting a job behind the scenes at United ,
    He has passion for them but he seems like a liability and is not a good pundit,

As someone mentioned Liam Rosenior always comes across as very aware tactically , I also think Jimmy Fylod is on the ball , Matt Murray is decent , he never says anything stupid,

All 3 are far better than Richards in my opinion ,

Although Richards seems sound ,

• Advertisement

But how is a 25 year old player plucked from a mid table championship team supposed to slot in for the PL champions? Random AF.

There's a lot of reasons.

Funds is one, yes. Not many teams have cash at hand to throw around. Man City & Chelsea are able to pay £100s of millions in a COVID window, but how many other clubs can? A lot of clubs are trying to get players to leave this window to save money more than anything. Clubs trying to get players off the wage bill as they can't keep afford to keep paying players to sit at home as their 6th or 7th choice and not even play with the reserves.

Availability is another. He could be 7th or 8th choice for all we know. Maybe Liverpool wanted Tomori from Chelsea, but Chelsea wouldn't allow him leave on loan to Liverpool, so the next option was looked at. Clubs are a bit reluctant to sell players mid-season this year. If a player gets COVID, or gets a 2 week injury, the player is missing for 4 or 5 games now. The clubs need their players, even just for cover. Man City wouldn't loan on their kids (Taylor Harwood-Bellis) in January as they wanted them for cover and only loaned them out on deadline day for this reason. Maybe the club wanted to buy Konate or Upemacano from Leipzig but 1) Leipzig wouldn't sell mid-season, 2) without paying a premium on their summer release clauses or 3) sell to Liverpool as they play each other in the Champions League in a few weeks. And the same happened down the list until Davies was reached.

There are obviously some qualities in the player that the scouting team liked and want to utilize in the team and by the sounds of things, it is being comfortable on the ball, being able to pass the ball out of defence with his left foot and is in the top third of defenders in the Championship for winning aerial duals. It's not just a case of saying 'well that defender is available, let's get him in', as that player would not suit Liverpool's style of play. No point signing a Burnley type defender as he can only play in a deep defensive line and can't pass further than 20 yards.

Also, I wouldn't really knock him just because he came from the Championship. Many good players make the step up, they just need the opportunity first. The likes of Behrama & Watkins are regulars in top half PL clubs now. Look at the whole Leeds team. Granted, they came from the top 3 or 4 Championship clubs but the likes of Joe Rodon, Matty Cash came from mid-table and they are holding his own in the PL now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Richards is fine for one show. But I listen to some BBC podcasts he’s on and believe me you’d be sick to the back teeth of him after a short while.

I believe its driven by the times we are living in,
    Nobody in the world has spent big money this January ,

Liverpool will already have a plan marked out for the summer , id imagine its a CB , a replacement for Gini and a forward (talk of a big money one)

Its probably not possible to get that CB now in January and even if they could by over spending they are not willing to do it because it will changes who they can afford in the other two positions ,

They are playing the long game,

Say for instance if they can get Alaba for free in the summer they why pay for someone for 6 months ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I quite like his dad Leroy as an occasional pundit/speaker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Pretty much yes. Lack of funds is a major issue for most clubs these days (unless you are a Chelsea/Man City style club who have billionaire backers who can dip into their own pockets)...The Davis signing is a typical Edwards signing (similar to Minaminho) last January. Buy with the sole intent to sell at a profit in 1.5/2 years. There is talk within the club of Minaminho been offloaded for 18-20 million this summer...Id imagine they would be looking for a similar price for Davis next summer if they can get a couple of games under his belt and he's not a complete liability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Remember how the Burnley take over was going to fix so many problems with future recruitment and ground development?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

The clubs own accumulated cash pile has been incorporated into buying the club. The financing is from Michael Dell (computers) MSD UK Holdings, and they are charging 9% PA for current the loans to other clubs to overcome current income slump.
    The club’s cash was built up handsomely in the Premier League years since promotion in 2016, through careful husbandry by Garlick and his fellow owners. Burnley’s most recently published accounts, for the year to 30 June 2019, stated that it had no borrowings at all, and £42m in the bank. That makes it difficult not to conclude that just to pay for ALK to take over, the club is now approximately £90m worse off, with interest to pay.

This feels like a massive risk given they are small and will always be relying on Sean Dyche's instincts to keep them punching above their weight. The primary shareholders have done well out of it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Remember how the Burnley take over was going to fix so many problems with future recruitment and ground development?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

The clubs own accumulated cash pile has been incorporated into buying the club. The financing is from Michael Dell (computers) MSD UK Holdings, and they are charging 9% PA for current the loans to other clubs to overcome current income slump.

This feels like a massive risk given they are small and will always be relying on Sean Dyche's instincts to keep them punching above their weight. The primary shareholders have done well out of it though :)

I know the English media like to blow smoke up the ar**s of English managers whenever they do a half decent job at the top level but what Dyche does is genuinely unbelievable...how he keeps this Burnley team comfortably in the Premier League season on season is remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I never knew Josh King was previously at United.

*Scrubs Music* The more you know.

They are playing the long game,

Say for instance if they can get Alaba for free in the summer they why pay for someone for 6 months ?

Playing the long game at what price?

I don't believe Davies will contribute to anything this season. But I am very open to being wrong.

I know the English media like to blow smoke up the ar**s of English managers whenever they do a half decent job at the top level but what Dyche does is genuinely unbelievable...how he keeps this Burnley team comfortably in the Premier League season on season is remarkable.

Dean Smith doesn't get much plaudits.

I have to say I like Sean Dyche. His teams don't play pretty football but what do you expect? He's like McGuyver fashioning a competitive team from what he has to hand.
    I've always liked his sense of humour too

I have to say I like Sean Dyche. His teams don't play pretty football but what do you expect? He's like McGuyver fashioning a competitive team from what he has to hand.
    I've always liked his sense of humour too

You just know Burnley will sink like a stone when he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Esse85 wrote: »
    You just know Burnley will sink like a stone when he leaves.

they know it (or used to anyway) hence him being one of the few examples NOT to be fired mid-relegation battle the year they went down.

Mod Moved a few posts to Soccer relationship with betting thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058152722

Playing the long game at what price?

I don't believe Davies will contribute to anything this season. But I am very open to being wrong.

I the the league is beyond them already so not much price at all as long as they get top four ,

Liverpool don't panic , they won't ruin a long term plan for the sake of 6 months,

This season has been a one off in 38 years iv never seen them get destroyed by so many injuries , Not even close infact ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement