Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

greendom wrote: »
    Depressing stuff. This can't carry on. I was Arteta's biggest supporter but it's beginning to feel like a mistake. The team is in a rut. What can Arteta do to lift us out of it?

Hopefully he can draw on his experience as a top level manager. Oh wait, never mind.

Wtf happens?

Where's the arsenal side who beat city, Chelsea and United of recent?

What's happened to our defence?

Only United was in the league. And again, United being a joke was the only thing giving me any joy in football the last wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Ye can all save this post.

Guarantee we beat spurs.

Oh yes it has.
    Gutless players will get you nowhere. Powder puffs. Afraid to put in a challenge.
    It has everything to do with it.

Balls don't score goals, and that's our biggest problem. Being a plucky team full of balls like Stoke is not what we should be aiming for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That hurt. Mostly because it confirmed the Villa game wasn't a once off.

I'm sick to death of Xhaka now. Really am. Very disappointed with Ceballos, a lad who I thought had a lot of potential. Willock was OK tonight I thought (not a very popular belief here I see). So having 1 of 3 midfielders being just OK and the other 2 ****e, then that's a bad start.

Saka, Auba were both below par. Willian was OK. Bellerin was shocking again.

Most teams double up on Traore to quiten him, so Tierney was left out to dry tonight. I never want Luiz on frees again.

Leno was OK, think that goal was deflected.

As for the gaffer. I'm worried. I really like him. Think he is a breath of fresh air after the "ebening" man. But the players need a long hard look at themselves. Not sure Mikel has the ability to turn them around. That was bad tonight.

And now up next is that lot who are flying at the moment. A bad loss to them and the pressure will really mount on Mikel. I'm very worried.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Leno - will be established #1
    Bellerin - Senior squad member, possibly leave if a good offer comes in.
    Luiz - retired after helping Gabriel develop into a better player
    Gabriel - established in the team, and our best CB.
    Tierney - established in the team, and among the best in the league
    Ceballos - gone from the club after completing his stop gap year
    Xhaka - sold
    Willian - retired after helping Martinell develop
    Willock - didn't prove to be good enough to start and was sold or just a squad player.
    Saka - proven English international and improved year on year
    Aubameyang - club captain but close to retiring now

The above is today's starting XI and where they feature is Artetas plan as stated in 2 years time.

Arteta is not doing good enough at the moment, but look at the standard of player he is having to use. Willock doesn't get anywhere near any other top 6 side. The same with Willian. It's a long term project.
    So Arteta's plan is that like 7 of today's starting lineup will be gone at the start of the 2022 season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OmegaGene wrote: »
    putting in a challenge doesnt get us shots on target and that is what gets goals and wins games

It often gets you possession and takes it away from the opposition.
    You cannot have a shot without having possession.
    Winning possession is so important.
    Also you won’t even have shots without the desire needed.
    We have too many soft and small players who are not up to the standard required.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Balls don't score goals, and that's our biggest problem. Being a plucky team full of balls like Stoke is not what we should be aiming for.

Being a plucky team full of balls like Wolves certainly worked tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So Arteta's plan is that like 7 of today's starting lineup will be gone at the start of the 2022 season?

Well 2 of them will be retired. 1 will be gone back to his parent club, and the rest will be replaced with better players. Partey has already replaced Xhaka. The club has come out and stated several times that there will be a lot of players coming in to the club soon. It has started already and recent purchases have already shown to be much better suited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Emery currently has Villareal sitting 3rd in La Liga. Maybe he wasn't the problem after all
    Something is wrong at the club. there's a staleness that's hard to shake off.
    We're exactly 1 year on since Emery has sacked and I cant say i enjoy watching us anymore than I did a year ago

Keane is right about the softness and lack of fight.
    Not often I agree with him.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Emery currently has Villareal sitting 3rd in La Liga. Maybe he wasn't the problem after all
    We're exactly 1 year on since Emery has sacked and I cant say i enjoy watching us anymore than I did a year ago

Emery wasn't the problem. The players were, and still are. Unlike the manager though that can't be changed in one go overnight. It takes a long process which Arsenal have already begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Azatadine

At the moment, we are worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I purposefully choose not to watch, follow, or be in anyway interested in the match tonight, and I'm sorry to say that I made the right choice.

The last few years have just been sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Still think you are judging too soon on him. He really cares and loves the club but it's so ****ing hard with these players..they have left Wenger down, they have left Emery down and now they are ****ing over Arteta.

Trust the man, I know I would puty faith in Arteta hands over those players hands, they are gutless pay check collectors. Look at Emery now, flying at Villarreal. Players are to blame. Need to get them out. A good shot of them gone this summer and move onwards. Still think we can get back on track this season with martinelli and partey and Mari been fit and in the starting 11.

I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m all for giving him time and the fact the players are cat. I just think it’s unraveling on him.

He’s not going to overhaul the squad to the extent you want in any reasonable time. He does need to cut some lose from his PL starting options. He’s doing exactly what Emery did turning to the same young players who are not good enough and believing he can change some of the serial offenders.

He’s changed our attack to the detriment of Auba and he’s paying for that, I think he’s lost Auba along the way

The only shining light from tonight is that our November goal of the month won't be a ****ing penalty

Chris Wheatley (@ChrisWheatley_) Tweeted:
    Arteta on Partey: "I don't think he will be with us in the next few games."

https://t.co/G27JJblwBO https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/1333169906146304001?s=20

I'm alive long enough to remember, especially with sports teams/clubs etc, these things are cyclical. We will come good again. We've had a few years of **** club management from the board and the backroom team. That appears to have changed now, there's been a clear out. We will come good again. We just have to tolerate and mitigate in the mean time.

FFS. Partey has been fully Arsenalised!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Ye can all save this post.

Guarantee we beat spurs.

I won’t because I really, really, really hope you’re right...but you’re not :pac:

emmetlego wrote: »
    FFS. Partey has been fully Arsenalised!!!

Yep, 6-8 weeks apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

From what I can see, that spanner who all of a sudden left the club for no clear official reason, Raul Sanlehi - he of the contacts book - signed a bunch of players that were not in the best interest of the club.

Hard enough trying to fight it out in this league when we're not all pulling in the same direction. For my money, this has been a problem since that other lowlife Gazidis turned up.

Hopefully we have some unity now, although it seems Edu is friendly enough with one or more of these super agent snakes.

The two questionable signings so far have been Luiz extension and Willian. I think Luiz was given the extension because he's still a valid first team player, and also to mentor Gabriel in his first season. Willian is there to mentor Martinelli.

The two questionable signings so far have been Luiz extension and Willian. I think Luiz was given the extension because he's still a valid first team player, and also to mentor Gabriel in his first season. Willian is there to mentor Martinelli.

Nay, Pepe's comical fee and the deals given to Cedric Soares and Pablo Mari were preposterous for a team with our resources.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Nay, Pepe's comical fee and the deals given to Cedric Soares and Pablo Mari were preposterous for a team with our resources.
    Filling the bench with low cost experienced players is better than relying on youth. Obviously with the injuries sustained by both that didn't work out, but it still doesn't make them bad signings long term.

Pepe though was a bad one. I don't think he was under the current system though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's hard to be too critical of Arteta. He's inherited an absolute clusterfcuk of a situation.

Your biggest earner, Ozil looked a shadow of himself even during Emery's reign. When Arteta came back, he gave him every chance, but Ozil struggled badly. Arteta's ability to do anything in the transfer market is hugely constrained until that £350k a week is off the books this Summer.

Pepe has also been a disaster, a player that was apparently signed by the club, and not Emery. He looks far short of the type of quality you'd associate with a player who cost what he did. My guess is he will be gone at the end of this season.

There's also a few other headcases in the team who Arteta has inherited that will also be shifted in due course. The whole thing is going to take time quite frankly.

The real person I would be taking issue with is the person who is in charge of contracts and recruitment. The situation reminds of Liverpool a few years back when we were broke, but still signing rejects like Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic on £100k+ contracts because they were "free". It seems to be that Arteta is not fully in control of recruitment (I am not sure if he even has the final say).

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

I think you give far too much credence to mentorship, nobody is getting a multi million pound football deal to be a mentor.

• Advertisement

al87987 wrote: »
    I think you give far too much credence to mentorship, nobody is getting a multi million pound football deal to be a mentor.

Plus coaches are supposed to do the coaching.

Players do the actual playing. Willian is a bleedin player.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'm alive long enough to remember, especially with sports teams/clubs etc, these things are cyclical. We will come good again. We've had a few years of **** club management from the board and the backroom team. That appears to have changed now, there's been a clear out. We will come good again. We just have to tolerate and mitigate in the mean time.

If we don't win the league next season we'll then be in the longest period we've ever gone without winning the league since the 1920s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

If we don't win the league next season we'll then be in the longest period we've ever gone without winning the league since the 1920s.

1971-1989
    2004-2022

It's hard to be too critical of Arteta. He's inherited an absolute clusterfcuk of a situation.

He has zero business managing Arsenal. It really is that simple. It's delusion to expect someone with no experience other than following around a manager who can spend half a billion on a goalkeeper and defenders to magically be a top-level manager at a struggling club.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    1971-1989
    2004-2022

Yeah it we don't win it next season it will be at least 04-23 so it will be longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yeah it we don't win it next season it will be at least 04-23 so it will be longer.

If??? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Your biggest earner, Ozil looked a shadow of himself even during Emery's reign. When Arteta came back, he gave him every chance, but Ozil struggled badly. Arteta's ability to do anything in the transfer market is hugely constrained until that £350k a week is off the books this Summer.

Pepe has also been a disaster, a player that was apparently signed by the club, and not Emery. He looks far short of the type of quality you'd associate with a player who cost what he did. My guess is he will be gone at the end of this season.

There's also a few other headcases in the team who Arteta has inherited that will also be shifted in due course. The whole thing is going to take time quite frankly.

The real person I would be taking issue with is the person who is in charge of contracts and recruitment. The situation reminds of Liverpool a few years back when we were broke, but still signing rejects like Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic on £100k+ contracts because they were "free". It seems to be that Arteta is not fully in control of recruitment (I am not sure if he even has the final say).

Have to agree with what your saying above, the cancer is a big problem on 350k a week and the few headcases have to be moved on from the club. It’s going to take time to rebuild a new team like the way Liverpool had to do to improve.
    On yesterday’s game Wolves are a good team and well set out with a very good manager who has the dressing room playing for him and has bought good players with no big fuss. Possibly the best player yesterday was a 34 year old who has being a big part of Wolves success in the last couple of years.

We need to be patient and hope more of a clear out of the dead wood happens in the next transfer window and in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

He has zero business managing Arsenal. It really is that simple. It's delusion to expect someone with no experience other than following around a manager who can spend half a billion on a goalkeeper and defenders to magically be a top-level manager at a struggling club.

Who should be managing instead of him, or more to the point who would want the job

Poor ole Jimenez had surgery on a fractured skull after the match. Seems to be doing ok which is good news. If something like that happened in an amateur match with no medical help around things would end badly

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying we've lost 3 of our 5 home league games this season, and we haven't played a single one of the big 6 (at home) yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Poor ole Jimenez had surgery on a fractured skull after the match. Seems to be doing ok which is good news. If something like that happened in an amateur match with no medical help around things would end badly

Great news, it is a very serious injury though, wonder if he'll ever play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Am I right in saying we've lost 3 of our 5 home league games this season, and we haven't played a single one of the big 6 (at home) yet?

You are kind of right, there is absolutely no such thing as a big 6 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

greendom wrote: »
    Great news, it is a very serious injury though, wonder if he'll ever play again.

Lets be frank.

Wolves and leicester are more than capable of beating spurs, chelsea, united, city and liverpool

Virtually all of our 'big 6' games are away from home in the first half of the season. The only one we have at home in the first half is Chelsea, and they're not until Boxing Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lets be frank.

Wolves and leicester are more than capable of beating spurs, chelsea, united, city and liverpool

Sure, but my post was showing concern for the player's long term health

Correct.
    Not looking promising.

We’ve lost 5 of our last 8 league matches.
    We have 13 points from 10 games.
    Emery was sacked at this point last season even though he had 16 points from 10 games.
    We have a very difficult fixture list for December. I have my doubts that Arteta will survive. Our form is dire now.

We were damning of Emery....

Infogol (@InfogolApp) Tweeted:
    Arsenal have created less and conceded more xG per game under Mikel Arteta than when under Unai Emery in the #PremierLeague.

Regression. #AFC 🔴 https://t.co/MrqcnM0qfj https://twitter.com/InfogolApp/status/1333381512771891200?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Home to Newcastle in the FA Cup

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement