Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

#greatestleagueinthworld ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Just wanted to be the first to say that this year's league is the worst ever and we're all doomed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Shiny new thread, what can go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭jay1988

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Shiny new thread, what can go wrong!

Dunno but it'll definitely be the FAI's fault anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

One Night in Dudelange is reviewed in the March edition of When Saturday Comes.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/14300-wsc-396-out-now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What’s the story with the generic thread name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What’s the story with the generic thread name?

Yeah we had a good thing going on. I reckon we should change it to Greatest League in The World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Have to say I take big issue with that accusation of ongoing racial chants at the Cross. We've had idiots and few isolated incidents over a good few years, like most grounds in the same long timeframe I suspect. To say there was any sort of ongoing thing there is nonsense and is way outside any sort of 'banter' on here and is just utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Corholio wrote: »
    Have to say I take big issue with that accusation of ongoing racial chants at the Cross. We've had idiots and few isolated incidents over a good few years, like most grounds in the same long timeframe I suspect. To say there was any sort of ongoing thing there is nonsense and is way outside any sort of 'banter' on here and is just utter ****e.

I remember racist chants from some idiots back in the 90s but haven't heard anything racist in the Cross since then myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Corholio wrote: »

Ya it's absolute made up nonsense by someone with a grudge. This is pure lies never heard this down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There are many, many problems in the Irish domestic game. Racism is not one of them. Moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think that poster should come out and say exactly what Cork fans were saying or chanting in these games.

Strong accusastion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

According to Longford, every club has received a list all of all teams squads in 1st division except for Shamrock Rovers II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

According to Longford, every club has received a list all of all teams squads in 1st division except for Shamrock Rovers II

Ye it's all very hush hush, supposedly a very young Rovers team played Sacred Heart on Monday which I assume is the II team.

Have they announced who’s managing the second team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Have they announced who’s managing the second team?

Aidan Price is managing the team.

Was he managing the U19s last?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

[thread title updated]

dfx- wrote: »
    [thread title updated]

Great call

• Advertisement

Not saying this isn’t true but I text a friend of mine who involved with a team in that division and he said he doesn’t think the squads are sent out but they're announced on each clubs websites. Rovers couldn't do that all along as they didn't know they'd be in the league or not til last week officially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Was he managing the U19s last?

He was looking after the 19s for a few years but as far as I know he was at the 13s last season with Stephen Rice taking the 19s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Not saying this isn’t true but I text a friend of mine who involved with a team in that division and he said he doesn’t think the squads are sent out but they're announced on each clubs websites. Rovers couldn't do that all along as they didn't know they'd be in the league or not til last week officially.

Squad lists for every team are always sent out by the FAI to each club for use by their media teams

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Squad lists for every team are always sent out by the FAI to each club for use by their media teams

Apart from this year as nobody has Rovers II and Longfords manager on BTS podcast last night stated, Longford have not been told if Rovers must name a squad that cant be interchangeable.

New FAI my arse

My friend would be in coaching more then admin tho. It’s quite possible he just wouldn’t be aware of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

may as well get it onto the first page, IFHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why are Sligo playing on Fridays now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

https://twitter.com/Ui_Maine/status/1230192953890570241?s=19

I hope this is more accurate than his Rovers winning the league prediction last year.

dan1895 wrote: »

I hope this is more accurate than his Rovers winning the league prediction last year.

Now that’s interesting but for costs you’d imagine it has too be regionalized and open to invite intermediate clubs also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

dan1895 wrote: »

What would the views be on this? I know the argument is there that players have nowhere to go when they are finished with the 19s league, but how many players are good enough to progress on? The age profile of the league is fairly young, players have the option going on loan to the first division too. Would playing for an extra two years in a B team be of huge benefit to them or will it just prolong them eventually dropping down to the LSL anyway? Maybe I'm being harsh.

I think having a B side should be optional as it is mainly the big clubs like Rovers and Dundalk to have the most to gain from having B teams. Surely most first division sides would have no interest and would struggle financially to field a second team.

It would be nice to see some new teams altogether be tempted to enter the LoI and use this as an entry, but surely to god it is not that appealing to many clubs when you look at how badly the first division is ran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The main issue the likes of Castlebar Celtic had in the A Championship was how poorly it was ran. Games were called off at very short notice and there was a general lack of management. Similar to the LOI proper.
    Most found they were better off going back to their local league's.
    It could be a pathway into the LOI for a few of the non league sides with teams in the underage league's.
    I've a feeling it'll be a straight forward reseve/U23 league. At least at the start anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why are Sligo playing on Fridays now?

Because we are playing on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Good idea, but only if regionalised. A great opportunity to spread interest in the league around the country. Counties with underage teams and no league representation should be targeted first.

Kerry, Clare, kildare, Mayo, Kilkenny, Cavan / Monaghan should be prioritised. I think these clubs should continue to be allowed play on fai junior and intermediate cup competitions though as they are huge historically to the clubs ( unless they are promoted to first división )

Hope its not just a B team or u23 league for current teams As eventually theyll realise they don't have the money to run another team and players will realise theyd be better off playing meaningful games with a top LSL or junior side.

Longford to make a statement tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Drogheda have announced they are doing the same, all first division clubs to announce they are boycotting games against Rovers B I'm assuming. The LoI first division has to be one of the worst divisions in senior football anywhere in the world, a complete and utter shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

tastyt wrote: »
    Good idea, but only if regionalised. A great opportunity to spread interest in the league around the country. Counties with underage teams and no league representation should be targeted first.

How many teams you gonna need to regionalise the league, at least 20 to break it into two groups of ten imo. Can barely get 20 teams to fill up the premier and first division, can't see the third tier being regionalised unless they get clubs based in or around Dublin to move up to LOI. Rovers and Dundalk would probably be the only clubs currently in the LOI looking at B teams, add in Kerry, Kilkenny/Carlow, Monaghan/Caven and Mayo, still need to find 14 other clubs.
    Drogheda have announced they are doing the same, all first division clubs to announce they are boycotting games against Rovers B I'm assuming. The LoI first division has to be one of the worst divisions in senior football anywhere in the world, a complete and utter shambles.

Talk is teams will play Rovers B this season under protest but only for this season. Also something else mentioned about one goalkeeper and one outfield player from their A team can play games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

How many teams you gonna need to regionalise the league, at least 20 to break it into two groups of ten imo. Can barely get 20 teams to fill up the premier and first division, can't see the third tier being regionalised unless they get clubs based in or around Dublin to move up to LOI. Rovers and Dundalk would probably be the only clubs currently in the LOI looking at B teams, add in Kerry, Kilkenny/Carlow, Monaghan/Caven and Mayo, still need to find 14 other clubs.

The A Championship was regionalised. Really all you need is 16 teams - 5 or 6 junior sides and around 10 LOI reserve sides.
    Shams and Dundalk would definitely be interested. Then the likes of UCD, Harps and Derry are already running reserve sides.
    One group would be almost exclusively Dublin centred with maybe 1 or 2 trips to the likes of Carlow or Tullamore depending on the uptake from non league sides.
    Essentially all that's needed is a 50% uptake from league clubs and a few junior sides. If that's not achievable then there's no point having it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

There really no more clubs running b sides in the LSL, Msl whatever? Surprised at that.
    Thing is usl is on its knees, remove harps and Derry and that league can't continue, barely enough clubs left as it is. Although a few might step up to an A-championship like fanad before

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

No statements yet but Drogheda, Bray and Longford have all put out this image.

https://twitter.com/DroghedaUnited/status/1230431927724859392

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

irish_goat wrote: »
    No statements yet but Drogheda, Bray and Longford have all put out this image.

https://twitter.com/DroghedaUnited/status/1230431927724859392

Wexford have done the same.

• Advertisement

anyone boycotting a league game should have their licence revoked. The rest is window dressing.

You don't get to pick and choose who you play. Good to see the new FAI holding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pathetic stuff from the 1st diviision clubs. Just get on with it. Rovers II have a team is not a big deal.

No objections to Athlone or Limerick who were match fixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Pathetic stuff from the 1st diviision clubs. Just get on with it. Rovers II have a team is not a big deal.

No objections to Athlone or Limerick who were match fixing.

They are getting on with it

Clubs dead right to voice their concerns on this, can become a farce. That they can even name a player from the first team makes it a farce

What's their issue now compared to 2014? Don't remember any uproar then tbh.

Shels\Dundalk on par to being a sellout (the 3400 capacity unfortunately), Dundalk's online tickets all sold out (some physical ones going on sale in their office tomorrow) and we've supposedly a few hundred left for the home end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mushy wrote: »

Clubs dead right to voice their concerns on this, can become a farce. That they can even name a player from the first team makes it a farce

They are releasing statements every 2 weeks complaining.

Not as much of a farce as Athlone & Limerick fixing games.
    Clubs kept quiet about that.

MD1990 wrote: »
    They are releasing statements every 2 weeks complaining.

Not as much of a farce as Athlone & Limerick fixing games.
    Clubs kept quiet about that.

Well if they dont itll just continue on as it has this year, they just want to keep pressure on.

Maybe they're all match fixing, who knows

Cobh Ramblers have realised the same

Mushy wrote: »

Farce in the FD? Never happens!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What's their issue now compared to 2014? Don't remember any uproar then tbh.

Shels\Dundalk on par to being a sellout (the 3400 capacity unfortunately), Dundalk's online tickets all sold out (some physical ones going on sale in their office tomorrow) and we've supposedly a few hundred left for the home end.

How many away seats in Tolka this season? Are they in the Riverside?

dfx- wrote: »
    Farce in the FD? Never happens!

Wouldn't be a new season without one

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement