Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Corholio wrote: »
    Wasn't mentioned much in after game talk but I thought Trez was really good today. Worked very well in that formation. Hope can get a lot more consistency out of him.

Yes he played much better then usual, but still didn''t do a whole lot to wow the fans. But certainly the effort from him was much more then usual. I hope he can keep it up. Squad is now down to the bare bones.

How bad in reality is the Villa youth set up? Its always been spoken about as one of the best in the land, but its far from that.

I mean we have been woeful for at least a good 5/6 years and we have managed to bring through one player in the last 10 years maybe that was good enough for the first team (Grealish). Maybe we can add Davis to this? I'm probably missing another player.

That is just a woeful return for a club the size of Villa and the people involved have IMO played a big part in the demise of Villa in the last decade.

We should at least have players coming through the ranks who are good enough to act as cover for the team, we currently do not have this. Nor did we even have this in the Championship when for the most part we were a mid tabled side in the second division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

CucaFace wrote: »
    How bad in reality is the Villa youth set up? Its always been spoken about as one of the best in the land, but its far from that.

I mean we have been woeful for at least a good 5/6 years and we have managed to bring through one player in the last 10 years maybe that was good enough for the first team (Grealish). Maybe we can add Davis to this? I'm probably missing another player.

That is just a woeful return for a club the size of Villa and the people involved have IMO played a big part in the demise of Villa in the last decade.

We should at least have players coming through the ranks who are good enough to act as cover for the team, we currently do not have this. Nor did we even have this in the Championship when for the most part we were a mid tabled side in the second division.

Albrighton probably just makes that 10 year period as well.

Simple, we dont give them game time. Should have at least 2-3 youth players on the bench every game. O'Hare looks exciting but isn't getting a start at Coventry at the moment since they changed to 4 in midfield. RHM was being praised, has about 10 appearances for Villa, I think 1 game where he got more than 15 mins.

What I've seen of O'Hare, he would have commanded a starting spot in a couple of Championship clubs but is he too old to make it at the top level now? 22 in May with 9 first team appearances at Villa and he has been talked about by Sherwood, Di Matteo and Bruce as a top young player. I think he would actually offer something very different in midfield than what we have.

The lads who left over the years like Johnson, Graham, Myhill, Burke, Gary Gardener, Hogg, Baker to an extent and there are tons more went on to have or having good high level championship careers (Cahill obviously exceptionally good career). Wonder where they would be with say 50 appearances off the bench and cup games by the time they were 20-21 at Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Green recalled from loan at Preston and immediately sent out to Charlton on loan. He hardly played at PNE. Hope he can show a bit more at Charlton, if only for his sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Agree and a couple of things spring to mind:

Hourihane in an interview earlier in the year made a point of saying that youth players don't work hard enough - that could only have been aimed at Villa since they're setup would be much bigger than Plymouth or Barnsley.

Gareth Farrelly spoke about his experience in the Villa youth setup - and the culture of bullying and intimidation. Kevin MacDonald has since left but had been there for over 25yrs.

Then of course there are countless players touted as the next big thing like O'Hare, RHM and before them there was Delfounso or Isaih Osbourne but they rarely get game time.

Could be an issue about he quality of coaching at Villa too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Another £5m added to the asking price after this....
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AlgeriaFootVid/status/1212429291851567104

Star linking us with Maja who Sunderland tried to replace with Ross McCormack. Had 1 decent half season if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Agree and a couple of things spring to mind:

Hourihane in an interview earlier in the year made a point of saying that youth players don't work hard enough - that could only have been aimed at Villa since they're setup would be much bigger than Plymouth or Barnsley.

Gareth Farrelly spoke about his experience in the Villa youth setup - and the culture of bullying and intimidation. Kevin MacDonald has since left but had been there for over 25yrs.

Then of course there are countless players touted as the next big thing like O'Hare, RHM and before them there was Delfounso or Isaih Osbourne but they rarely get game time.

Could be an issue about he quality of coaching at Villa too?

Our coaching must certainly be an issue. Our youth players never seem to be able or ready to step up to first team football. Even 'prospects' like Green, RHM, O'Hare and Suliman end up on the bench of lower league clubs. If these are the best of our academy then we cannot rely on it to provide us with players who can contribute to our first team.

The new guy from WBA might change all that and the signs that we mean business are there from the amount of U23 players that we released last Summer. No point hanging on to players who have hit early 20s if they're still not within an asses roar of competing for a first team place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Esse85 wrote: »
    Another £5m added to the asking price after this....
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AlgeriaFootVid/status/1212429291851567104

Haha, I reckon it will be Bowen instead anyway

Its official, Wesley done the cruciate. Going back to Brazil for treatment. Jaysus, 9 months min

• Advertisement

A real sickener for him, especially after getting back in the goals. The more I look at the tackle the more endangering it is from Mee, the type of tackle they were supposed to be tough on this season. Gutted for Wesley though, long road back.

Batshuayi linked today, already enquired supposedly. That type of move could prove tricky if he wants to stay and fight his place, can't really wait till right at end of window either for him to see if Chelsea signs another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭remoteboy

LeBash wrote: »
    Its official, Wesley done the cruciate. Going back to Brazil for treatment. Jaysus, 9 months min

Rumours of Sturridge. Can’t see him staying fit for a half season. We’d need backup for our backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Patser

Other rumour is Hogan being recalled.l, at least for the cup games

Patser wrote: »

Not a fan but we need all hands on deck for second half of the season. I’d bring him back regardless of who we sign.

May be in the minority, but if can get Sturridge in quick I'd take him. 4 goals and 4 assists in Turkey in 9 games. Not sure what he's fitness has been like, wouldn't bother if there's any doubt but I think it should be an option. Experienced too which is perhaps lacking. Better option than Hogan or Kodjia definitely imo.

Saying that, there might be zero truth that Smith/Suso wants him at all either.

Patser wrote: »

He isnt even getting a look in at Stoke these days who are 1 point relegation spot. Always wanted him to do well for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We need to sign a number one striker and keeper unfortunately.
    Sturridge is too much of a risk.
    Batshuayi would be fantastic, someone of that level would be a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Batshuayi or mitrovic please and jarrod bowen. vida in defence and that kid shankland from dundee...would make my year!

Some huge decisions to be made, don't think we can spend 20 million and hand out a big contract right now. A big outlay on a loan signing might be worth it.

• Advertisement

100% forgot Sturridge. Can’t see anything that could go wrong with relying on Sturridge to cover an injured player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Club have confirmed both out for the season ffs

sc86 wrote: »
    Club have confirmed both out for the season ffs

Disaster.

Really it is.

Heaton is a massive loss. Nyland lately has been much better then last season, but I still can't forget how bad he was last season, easily the worst keeper I have ever seen for any team. He was a walking disaster and I fear that one blip from him will bring that all out again in him.

We really are cursed.

We had 4 players who I felt were really Premier league class. Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Heaton. All 4 have been injured at some stage of the year, 2 of them with serious ones.

No fear of the crap players who give very little getting injured in their places of course. Not that we could afford anyone getting injured now.

We needed 3 good players to come in this Jan before all this, now that's 5. No chance of getting that, 3 was in reality out of our reach.

Huge challenge ahead. Hopefully everyone involved treats it as adversity to fight through rather than seeing it as a ready made excuse for failure.

Disaster.

Really it is.

Heaton is a massive loss. Nyland lately has been much better then last season, but I still can't forget how bad he was last season, easily the worst keeper I have ever seen for any team. He was a walking disaster and I fear that one blip from him will bring that all out again in him

Weve had some serious plonkers in goal over the years. Oakes, Enklemann, short term loan of Spironi and his trousers, Guzan's last year at the club, Spinks probably played for 1 or 2 seasons more than he should have. Nyland looked to have the potential to be 1 of them but he had a few really good games just before the injury.

West Ham made an enquiry for Randolf apparently and if hes available, that's who we should go for. Hes old enough that he will be priced reasonably and hes a bit like Big Brad, nothing spectacular but reliable and never panics.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Kiraly, not Speroni. He cost us an FA Cup game V United I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anything ive seen from Nyland this season has been good tbh.

listermint wrote: »
    Anything ive seen from Nyland this season has been good tbh.

That catch from the corner at the end the other day was absolutely excellent.

CSF wrote: »
    That catch from the corner at the end the other day was absolutely excellent.

Cup performances have also been spot on, Very confident.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Batshuayi or mitrovic please and jarrod bowen. vida in defence and that kid shankland from dundee...would make my year!

Would love Mitrovic

Birmingham Live reported that Batshuayi has said he doesnt want to go to Villa.

• Advertisement

Young goalkeeper
    @SarkicMatija
    has been recalled from his loan spell at Scottish club Livingston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

remoteboy wrote: »
    Would love Mitrovic

That would be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Jacob Ramsey and Tyreik Wright both called into the squad for tomorrow against Fulham in the Cup.

The match by the way is live on Eir Sport tomorrow.

Good choice of lineup today. Hopefully some can make a push for a spot

CSF wrote: »
    Good choice of lineup today. Hopefully some can make a push for a spot

Do you think? Other than Lansbury, Chester, Elmo, it's probably our strongest line up with the injuries we have.

Give me a 1-0 loss today with no injuries. We need to be fully concentrated on staying up.

This is the sort of game where we should be starting a few U23s imo.

LeBash wrote: »
    Do you think? Other than Lansbury, Chester, Elmo, it's probably our strongest line up with the injuries we have.

Give me a 1-0 loss today with no injuries. We need to be fully concentrated on staying up.

This is the sort of game where we should be starting a few U23s imo.
    Is this not a case of Mings, Konsa, Hause, Guilbert, Luiz, Trezeguet, Grealish all being rested from the other day?

Normal for Nyland and Kodjia to play to get rhythm after injuries mean we've nobody else at the moment. So after that, it is just Taylor and Nakamba playing from the last game, neither of whom have set places in the team.

Happy to see the fringe players play the cup games in the hope that some can put in performances that demand they go on a league run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Jota and Lansbury poor so far. Hourihane just grabbed his hamstring. Any chance of an injury take him off as a precaution

Jaysus, El Ghazi loves missing a sitter.

1-0 down and Fulham have had another 2 good chances since.

1-1 kodjia or El ghazi. Great ball from jota

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    1-0 down and Fulham have had another 2 good chances since.

1-1 Kodija. Or maybe El Ghazi.

Need to get Jota on the ball more. Great ball for that goal.

2-1 down now. Goal from a great shot

Some hit from Arter in fairness.

We were poor this half.

Full time 2-1.

Not a great 2nd half bar small flashes. Rather be out of the cup but players in reserve didn't really enhance their first team prospects. Some two goals from Fulham though all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Never want to lose but I can't say I am too disappointing to not have a load more FA cup games this season.

Never want to lose but I can't say I am too disappointing to not have a load more FA cup games this season.

Theres a couple of weeks coming where we will get a break now as well being out of the cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

Corholio wrote: »
    players in reserve didn't really enhance their first team prospects.

Same as when we played Wolves and Liverpool in the Carabao cup the squad players just don’t impress, you never come away thinking any of them should be a starter

• Advertisement

At least nyland looked good. Can't be faulted for the goals and made a couple of good saves. Only thing against is his passing doesn't look great.

Advertisement