Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Worried. Somebody's going to get badly hurt here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

loobylou wrote: »
    Worried. Somebody's going to get badly hurt here today.

Only turned it on was it really that bad?

Calmed down a bit now but there were a lot of heavy tackles going in.

What a mess.

Is it Silva in the striker role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is it Silva in the striker role?

Looks like a false winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do we actually have to stop playing to calm things down so our players are not broken up ?

Fcuking disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Seems to be open season on us. Kane and Alli should both have walked, same with Puncheon. And Bennett was an hour longer out there than he should have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Madness. Guardiola has a point yet I can see more coming. Sane will be a big loss, hitting great form. Very encouraging to see bernardo so good today, but he ain't a wide player. We are short there now, unless he may play zinchenko there? Big one again west Brom after their big win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I was just looking at the list of Man City's most expensive signings on the BBC website. Makes very interesting reading:

£55 M: Kevin de Bruyne
    £52 M: Benjamin Mendy
    £47.5 M: John Stones
    £45 M: Kyle Walker
    £44 M: Raheem Sterling

That's some seriously good business, and in today's market it could be argued that they have all turned out to be excellent value for money. Obviously, Mendy's injury has not given him the time to prove his worth yet, but he did look to be a great signing prior to that. John Stones is still prone to the odd blunder but will continue to improve (and generally he's a very competent defender already).

Fans of other clubs seem to moan constantly that City are buying success, and yet the above transfers are small-fry compared to fees being paid at the moment. Pogba and Lukaku were both vastly more expensive than any of City's top five fees, yet I would argue that neither of them has proven to be anything like worth the fees paid for them.

As an "almost-neutral" when it comes to the EPL, I am not highlighting Pogba and Lukaku out of any anti-United bias! I'm not a City fan, but I see most of their games on TV as my son is a big fan, and they are probably the most entertaining team in Europe this season.

Away to Wigan in the fifth round of the cup. Could have been worse, though a home draw would have been nice.

We owe them one!!

We owe them one!!
    Tell me about it; I was there. We were shambolic that day, and Wigan fully deserved the win. The behind the scenes pandemonium that marked the final days of Mancini's reign didn't help.

• Advertisement

Confirmation that Leroy has damaged ankle ligaments. No official timescale on his absence, but I've seen 6 weeks mentioned this evening. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I was just looking at the list of Man City's most expensive signings on the BBC website. Makes very interesting reading:

£55 M: Kevin de Bruyne
    £52 M: Benjamin Mendy
    £47.5 M: John Stones
    £45 M: Kyle Walker
    £44 M: Raheem Sterling

That's some seriously good business, and in today's market it could be argued that they have all turned out to be excellent value for money. Obviously, Mendy's injury has not given him the time to prove his worth yet, but he did look to be a great signing prior to that. John Stones is still prone to the odd blunder but will continue to improve (and generally he's a very competent defender already).

Fans of other clubs seem to moan constantly that City are buying success, and yet the above transfers are small-fry compared to fees being paid at the moment. Pogba and Lukaku were both vastly more expensive than any of City's top five fees, yet I would argue that neither of them has proven to be anything like worth the fees paid for them.

As an "almost-neutral" when it comes to the EPL, I am not highlighting Pogba and Lukaku out of any anti-United bias! I'm not a City fan, but I see most of their games on TV as my son is a big fan, and they are probably the most entertaining team in Europe this season.

Whilst City haven't spent mega money on any single player (largely because they bought their main attacking players before the market exploded) they have spent enormous sums of money on lots and lots of players. The last two windows City have brought in 9 players, 7 of which cost more than 30m and all but 2 are defenders or goal keepers.

The season before that it was 6 players at at least 18m.

In the last 3 seasons City have spent €737.7m For every Ederson there's a Bravo or two.

In the same period United have spend €505.4m

Our most expensive players at the club now are...
    Pogba 105m
    Lukaku 84.7m
    Martial 60m
    Matic 44.7m
    Bailly 38m
    Total 332.4m

Compared to the City 5
    Laporte 65m (won't count him yet)
    Kevin de Bruyne 74m
    Raheem Sterling 62.5m
    Benjamin Mendy 57.5m
    John Stones 55.6m
    Kyle Walker 51m
    Total 300.6

Not a huge difference in the top 5 players totals and considering that you bought your two most expensive forwards in the summer of 2015 I think they're pretty comparable. Pogba is worth every penny we spent on him and Lukaku is banging in goals a plenty for his first season.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/manchester-city/alletransfers/verein/281

Good signing 23 years old the club and manager looking forward always

Looking year five years ahead no panic buying

As for Wigan may the lord have mercy on their souls

That slow motion car crash of a final mother of god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

What do ye think of the Mahrez transfer story.

Im not sure id be for it a lot of money for short term cover.

If its hard to compete in four competitions with injuries we should prioritize and we have young players who should be given a chance.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

murphk wrote: »
    What do ye think of the Mahrez transfer story.

Im not sure id be for it a lot of money for short term cover.

If its hard to compete in four competitions with injuries we should prioritize and we have young players who should be given a chance.

Thoughts?

We definitely need an attacker in my opinion, i love Mahrez but im not sure a player who favors the right hand side is top priority, we have sterling and B.Silva for that, i would prefer a left sided or central attacker but i guess given mahrez is left footed he can play there.

We have a chance to make history and we are one or two injuries away from blowing it so i would take mahrez if we cant do any better.

It's a big gamble, heading into the business end of the season with only 2 out and out strikers (and one of them a couple of weeks away from returning to the side). Failing to snare either Sanchez or Mahrez has the potential to hurt us in our pursuit of silverware. Certainly in the domestic cups, at least. But Pep hasn't done too shabbily so far this season, so we have to trust him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Laporte starts for City

Man City XI: Ederson, Walker, Laporte, Otamendi, Zinchenko, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Silva, Bernardo Silva, Aguero, Sterling
    Subs: Bravo, Danilo, Kompany, Gundogan, Adarabioyo, Toure, Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Is match on telly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

TSN 4 if you know where to find it

Hitchens wrote: »
    Laporte starts for City

Surprised at that.

Jayop wrote: »
    Surprised at that.

Stnes sick apparently.

Stnes sick apparently.

Probably won't make any big difference but with a defender you'd generally like a bit of time in the training field to learn the calls etc.

Yet another assist from Kev. Mahrez? Pfft.

• Advertisement

What a ball by KDB

Lucky Diaz was able to get up after that

Apparently Albion have been employing rough house tactics tonight. McLean and Phillips could (should?) both have been sent off. Getting beyond a joke now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

blueser wrote: »
    Apparently Albion have been employing rough house tactics tonight. McLean and Phillips could (should?) both have been sent off. Getting beyond a joke now.

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/958808371250987010

Silva with a very nasty challenge on Yacob too before he went off, studs right into the ankle, the silence on both of those incidents by commentators was amazing. As an albion fan wasn't expecting anything out of the game but it's f*cking infuriating when this blatant double standard is on show.

Anonymou wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/958808371250987010

Silva with a very nasty challenge on Yacob too before he went off, studs right into the ankle, the silence on both of those incidents by commentators was amazing. As an albion fan wasn't expecting anything out of the game but it's f*cking infuriating when this blatant double standard is on show.
    https://twitter.com/Beardamendi/status/958819511695826945

Yes it was an awful challenge, but why can't the other awful challenges be called out for what they are?

Anonymou wrote: »
    Yes it was an awful challenge, but why can't the other awful challenges be called out for what they are?
    If Dinho did stamp on your player, he deserves a ban. As do both Phillips and McLean. I don't like thuggish behaviour, wherever it comes from. But I think we both know who were the bigger transgressors tonight.

Meltdowns in a few rivals thread.15 points clear now,there are making it alot easier for us.Aguero goal was checky.

If Dinho did stamp on your player, he deserves a ban. As do both Phillips and McLean. I don't like thuggish behaviour, wherever it comes from. But I think we both know who were the bigger transgressors tonight.

I'd have to disagree with that, seeing as fernandinho and silva were both early on in the game. McCleans was cynical (a poor attempt at it too) but I wouldn't have seen as a red in all honesty. Philips could have had no complaints if he walked. Neither could Fernandinho.

• Advertisement

Meltdowns in a few rivals thread.15 points clear now,there are making it alot easier for us.Aguero goal was checky.
    Looking back now, that Anfield result was so annoying. Imagine if we'd even be able to grab a point there. That suicidal 15 minutes after HT cost us big time. I remeber other clubs' fans (and the media) wondering if that was the start of a potential wobble. 4 wins out of four since. Saturday will be tough though; Dyche has his team well schooled and they will be up for it, make no mistake about it.

Enjoy it fellas;

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/958831869637906433

These are heady days!

Looking back now, that Anfield result was so annoying. Imagine if we'd even be able to grab a point there. That suicidal 15 minutes after HT cost us big time. I remeber other clubs' fans (and the media) wondering if that was the start of a potential wobble. 4 wins out of four since. Saturday will be tough though; Dyche has his team well schooled and they will be up for it, make no mistake about it.

That clearance from Ederson and lands to Salah is sickening.
    Any word on when Jesus is back.

That clearance from Ederson and lands to Salah is sickening.
    Any word on when Jesus is back.
    I think Pep said after the game last night that Gabby is 3-4 weeks away from coming back. So, possibly back for the Carabao Cup Final against Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There were a few idiots on here saying “well if City lose and draw a few and we win all our games, we have a race on.”

It was always bollox. City aren’t gonna drop those points and Liverpool or United weren’t good enough to win all their games (and so it proved). Those people were just showing how little they know about football.

As a Spurs fan, I have to admit that City have been streets ahead of other teams this year and the league hasn’t been in any doubt since you beat United and Spurs within a few weeks of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I did a predictor for our games and the United before the Spurs match in December. It predicted us on 87 points following the game away vs Everton and Utd on 70 after their game against Swansea the same weekend. That would be a 17 point lead with 18 still available which means the Derby would be the deciding game with a win or a draw. So far, 8 games in, the predictor has been accurate to the exact point for both teams (68-53). In the next 7 games, I have us winning every game including Everton away with the exception of a draw at Arsenal. I think United will win every game other than draws vs Chelsea and Liverpool.

I really don't think that will be far out (touch wood no more injuries).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Great goal...

Ah ffs Raheem :rolleyes:

We should be eating them alive;

ipanews_70bd975c-1788-45e3-8207-70799baf83f1_embedded268013

Hitchens wrote: »
    We should be eating them alive;

ipanews_70bd975c-1788-45e3-8207-70799baf83f1_embedded268013

I think they played better than those stats show,they had a nice few chances to get a goal.Aguero and Sterling should have scored a few tho.Oh well on to the next game!

I thought we played well enough today, moreso in the first half. Our build up play was excellent, but yet again, we're not clinical enough in putting away chances. In the second half, we started to look a tired team, particularly after 70 minutes. That missed sitter from Raz visibly lifted Burnley and made them think that there might be something in it for them today. It was a bad goal to concede, Walker falling asleep on the far post, not being aware of Gudmundsson behind him. Hopefully, the blank week coming up will allow them to recharge their batteries in preparation for Leicester on saturday evening. Hope so anyway; I'm over for that game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement