Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Moronic from Cash, absolutely dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Patser

CAsh you Donkey!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Would Foden like regular first team football, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭rebelomar

While you have to admire the standard Man City have reached this season, it's been a fairly embarrassing second half up to now from us.

They were down to 10 men. We made the wrong sub at HT. Ramsey should have stayed on and we barely have had a shot or got men in the box.

Then Cash does that to top it off.

What can Smith do now, realistically...

Engels for Nakamba, play 3 at back, Traore as R wing back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Smurts

Barkley....

I’m assuming Ramsey was injured??

Ohhh jaysus, Nakamba for Barkley.

I suppose if you're losing might as well go all in, but jaysus we're exposed at the back now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Imagine if Grealish had come through at City under Guardiola, playing with superstars.

Would he have a Balon d'Or by now?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is one shyt match.

Testimonial pace

City just killing off the game, Villa can't go forward onto them as defence is too weak. City defence happy to pass ball around. It's like watching Dublin kill of Mayo again and again

• Advertisement

Nalz wrote: »
    This is one shyt match.

Testimonial pace

10 v 10 for an extended period doesn't happen very often. Should come alive in the last 10 if Villa go for it.

Patser wrote: »
    City just killing off the game, Villa can't go forward onto them as defence is too weak. City defence happy to pass ball around. It's like watching Dublin kill of Mayo again and again

There's a gap of different proportions here.

Sky commentary said the Ramsey half time change wasn't injury related.

I'd be happy to never see the following in a villa shirt again:

Davis, Barkley, AEG, Traore, Nakamba

I'm losing patience with McGinn and Luiz too, they have no presence on the pitch.

Martinez kicking has been really poor tonight.

Ok Watkins out wide doesn't work, I accept that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

We are already in spain on holidays.
    Best just blood the kids now as i said a few weeks back.
    Be better for the club , and they might actually try

Man City showing more passion about a throw in in the 90th minute than most Villa players for 2nd half

sc86 wrote: »
    We are already in spain on holidays.
    Best just blood the kids now as i said a few weeks back.
    Be better for the club , and they might actually try

The season is fizzling out with very few positives of late.

Traore looks like he's given up. Likewise Barkley. McGinn and Luiz are outclassed every game.

Very little fight or bright spots since Grealish got injured.

Patser wrote: »
    Ok Watkins out wide doesn't work, I accept that now

He's not technically good enough. He's not able to beat a man out there.
    Take away his attitude and effort and your left with a very limited player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Mindless from Cash. Been great all season though so due a pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Truly pathetic effort there. The lads well and truly on the beach already,

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    He's not technically good enough. He's not able to beat a man out there.
    Take away his attitude and effort and your left with a very limited player.

He is good in his central role, different skill sets. He is very quick to react to a ball, able to improvise and 'poach' chances. He's also got strenght and acceleration.

But as a winger he's not fast enough, especially dribbing to take on players. He can't 'sell' defenders either, it's obvious what he wants to do and block.

Amazing the difference in the team since the start of season, when Targett, Grealish, Barkley were terrorising defences. Without Grealish, Barkley has imploded and Targett has lost his freedom to get forward

I just hope Smith has the intelligence and ruthless streak to upgrade on the rubbish that's underperformed for so long now, and the players who are simply not good enough.

We've been very lucky with injuries regarding the back 5, apart from Cash being injured for maybe 4 games, we've had our regulars play there, I'm not so sure we'll get as lucky again next season.

Thing is though, as poor as we have been recently, the season has been a big success.

The new signings of Martinez, Cash and Watkins have all been good, big positions now sorted.
    Defence has been solid, forgetting last few weeks, you only have to look at how many Fantasy teams have Martinez in.
    Traore has his moments, Grealish is just world class, Luiz has been good.

So going into next season we now have a very solid base to build on, and a clear idea of whats needed. Better midfielders, especially a depth of talent there. A 'great' winger to upgrade on Trez, El Ghazi. Another option to Watkins - maybe Wesley's return will fill that gap.

Sort those shortcomings with 2 maybe 3 signings. Continue to develope Ramsey, start to introduce Barry maybe some other youth players, and hopefully we push on to next level next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

Agreed the season has been a success we are in a comfortable position. But Grealish being out really highlights the lack of quality in the team and squad as a whole there are a quite a few that need to go at season end. My concern is that if we don’t bring in the right quality of players we could be in another relegation battle next year.

Teams have cottoned on to press us high up or force us to turn back to our own goals. We can't play out through teams because we have no quality in midfield so we end up playing backwards to Martinez and hoofing it forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I don't think there's any risk of a relegation battle next year, we'll either have Grealish and be grand or we won't and we'll be able to spend £150m this summer when half the league is reigning in spending

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

I don't think there's any risk of a relegation battle next year, we'll either have Grealish and be grand or we won't and we'll be able to spend £150m this summer when half the league is reigning in spending

The problem is we could have Grealish and he’s injured for most of the season as it stands we are far too reliant on him. It might be an unpopular opinion but I’d actually sell him and take the £100 mill

I'm not sure that spending money will fix our problems. I'm beginning to get a bit concerned by the types of players that we target, especially the foreign ones.

Look at Traore. A carbon copy of El Ghazi and Trez. Looks clueless a lot of the time with odd flashes of quality out of the blue. Not an undeniable upgrade at the price we paid.

Sanson: A mix of McGinn and Luiz but better than neither. Very similar type to what we already had.

Our English signing have been much better but I could have scouted Watkins, Cash and Martinez. It was having the money which we did have to get them. They were popular choices among all transfer rumours so it's not as though we got them from out of the blue or on the cheap. They have done very well though.

I have seen nothing except Konsa again a signing from under Smiths nose at his old club that has been a surprise hit.

Our loans of Barkley and before him, Drinkwater have been very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭rebelomar

If you get beaten 2-1 by that Man City team you can accept it. It's not an awful result on the face of it but the performance was a different story.

We saw again a total lack of presence or impact in the middle of the pitch. You can expect to be outplayed tonight but we were dire in there.

Traore was hopeless but I was impressed by Ramsey. I've been saying play him wide left for a while and I thought he was tidy and had an impact. He finds the space. Tonight the space was in behind City and he attacked it. His substitution was a huge mistake.

Our play once they went down to ten men was as expected...Very very pedestrian like and it has been for nearly 10 games now. That was the time to go for it. We were so lethargic and there was a genuine lack of ability in the team to create anything.

This is very worrying going into next season. If we get our signings right we will kick on but if we sign poor players like Traore, El Ghazi and Trez etc then we will regress badly.

This will be our third season back in the PL. We are established again. We have money. There's no excuses now imo for not attracting quality players. Smith and the recruitment team need to earn their money now.

Of course if you sign 3 or 4 players then they all won't be successes but we need to get it right 75% of the time.

I've been watching our youth cup games and while there is obviously a huge jump in standard to senior football there is great talent in that side for sure. 3 or 4 have a genuine chance of being top class players imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

We've been poison since the Covid break. I'm not expecting a change this season. Maybe the Covid, maybe that many players 2 weeks without training or no training and they can't get up to a proper level.

I've been noticing everytime a commentator mentions Emi is 1 clean sheet away from Big Brad's record for a season, one goes in within 5 mins. It's like a cruel inside joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Matheus Pereira is a player you should be targeting and bringing back a former player as an option off the bench might be a good idea, that player being James Albrighton whose minutes have been cut a bit at Leicester this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Matheus Pereira is a player you should be targeting and bringing back a former player as an option off the bench might be a good idea, that player being James Albrighton whose minutes have been cut a bit at Leicester this season.

Thats funny, i was thinking the exact same last week. Pereira would be a good improvement on anything we have for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

LeBash wrote: »
    We've been poison since the Covid break. I'm not expecting a change this season. Maybe the Covid, maybe that many players 2 weeks without training or no training and they can't get up to a proper level.

I've been noticing everytime a commentator mentions Emi is 1 clean sheet away from Big Brad's record for a season, one goes in within 5 mins. It's like a cruel inside joke.

The team lost its ability to pass and keep the ball for some reason after the second half of the Burnley away game and never got it back.

We played against city away far better then we did last night and it wasnt just down to Jack being injured.

I dont know what happened us, but at one stage during the season in Jan we looked like a really top quality side on the ball, but overnight that changed and we have looked really average since then. CM's and wingers badly needed this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

I think we're looking good. Even without Jack. It looks like the team is fatigued and burned out now. We need more depth and some better quality in there too but I don't think we're too far off the mark.

circadian wrote: »
    I think we're looking good. Even without Jack. It looks like the team is fatigued and burned out now. We need more depth and some better quality in there too but I don't think we're too far off the mark.

Could be that, we have used very few players as a squad, and Smith is loathe to even make subs early. The likes of Konsa, McGinn, Targett, Watkins must have played almost every match so far without break

Edit: Mind you, that's no excuse for last night as they had had 11 days without a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Wesley might make the squad tomorrow. Great news, would like to see him get 5-10 mins

Edit: Sunday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Tottenham are monitoring Northampton Town's 19-year-old English striker Caleb Chukwuemeka. (Football Insider)

Gotta get big bro on the case methinks. Both brothers seem to be very highly rated with our lad being linked to Man Utd and City recently.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1386364409480634368

Elmo in for suspended Cash is understandable...

El Ghazi for Ramsey.....OK

Barkley for Nakamba..... ah here

Edit: Just noticed Wesley on bench, that's good, some match practice before season end, and chance for Smith to see if a year out has affected him, and do we need striker in Summer.

Also another youngster on bench Bidace (without copy and paste I'm not trying full name). Google says he's a left winger, would be so sweet if he was an option to El Ghazi next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Big Wes back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Barkley gets the reward he deserves for his inspired substitute appearances.

El Ghazi has a few goals against West Brom from memory.

2 CBs, a left back and DM on the bench, shows the lack of dept.

I hope Wesley gets a few mins.

El Ghazi has a few goals against West Brom from memory.

2 CBs, a left back and DM on the bench, shows the lack of dept.

I hope Wesley gets a few mins.

There's 9 subs, that is normal.

JPA wrote: »
    There's 9 subs, that is normal.

When was that introduced?
    Really favours the big clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is sanson injured? Hasn't been on the bench for the last couple of games

Realistically the choices for today were ramsey / davis for Barkley / el Ghazi. I'd have preferred to see ramsey but we have a lack of depth in attack

When was that introduced?
    Really favours the big clubs.

Earlier in the season. 5 subs was voted against but 9 on the bench was ok'ed.

Peno.

jaysus Villa are playing abit like City here, lots of flicks and tricks

Soft penalty, don't think we'd get it against a bigger club.

El Ghazi from spot makes it 1-0

Barkley fouled for peno, and I'll say it - it was a foul but he made a meal of the contact

Ah here, that's an even softer peno.

The Premier League is getting pathetic

1-1

• Advertisement
Advertisement