Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

v3ttel wrote: »
    The green & gold movement never really had a figurehead...

I can think of someone.....

335126.bin?width=990&height=614&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&crop=16%3A9%2Coffset-y0.5&auto=webp&quality=75

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

May head down to the protest at the weekend, hopefully it's a big turnout. Does feel like maybe just maybe this is our best ever chance to finally get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,292 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

billyhead wrote: »
    So is the consensus a **** show of a transfer window?

100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

that is my view on it too.

They aren't in it for trophies, so if they are after profit their best angle for that now is selling now.

I also think selling in 2 years or so was on the cards if the ESL got going - see if that ESL participation could bump the market cap to 4b or 5b, and sell for a lot more than they will get now.

Don't know if it's that simple though, I'm no accountant, tax or otherwise, so maybe someone else on here can inform. What are the tax implications for them selling and realising the asset? Does it make sense for them to hold onto it and continue milking it rather than to sell?

They don't really seem to sell too much of what they acquire, maybe for tax purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Seen there that JP Morgan had their suitability rating downgraded following their backing of this failed ESL bid.

Stocks down too ..... this has been a disaster for all involved.

Don't know if it's that simple though, I'm no accountant, tax or otherwise, so maybe someone else on here can inform. What are the tax implications for them selling and realising the asset? Does it make sense for them to hold onto it and continue milking it rather than to sell?

They don't really seem to sell too much of what they acquire, maybe for tax purposes?
    would have to pay capital gains tax I guess, but even if they came out with 2billion after paying that (which wouldn't be fantasy land) you are still looking at a profit that would take 100 years to make up with dividend payments.

Even a billion in profit would take 50 years, but also require zero from them.

Some of the remaining Glazers have been pushing for sale for a while - Joel and Avram were the ones holding on to United. Darcie wanted to cash out years back. Don't think the other brothers are interested in United either and wanted to cash out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

would have to pay capital gains tax I guess, but even if they came out with 2billion after paying that (which wouldn't be fantasy land) you are still looking at a profit that would take 100 years to make up with dividend payments.

Even a billion in profit would take 50 years, but also require zero from them.

Some of the remaining Glazers have been pushing for sale for a while - Joel and Avram were the ones holding on to United. Darcie wanted to cash out years back. Don't think the other brothers are interested in United either and wanted to cash out too.

Again, I'm no accountant, but what would be the benefit of realising the asset? You'd end up with 2 billion in your bank account to... what? Accrue modest saving's interest?! The amount they can extract from the club for their €2Bn is probably greater and more predictable than they could bank on if they remove it and gamble on stocks or bonds.

Again, I'm no accountant, but what would be the benefit of realising the asset? You'd end up with 2 billion in your bank account to... what? Accrue modest saving's interest?! The amount they can extract from the club for their €2Bn is probably greater and more predictable than they could bank on if they remove it and gamble on stocks or bonds.

if each of the 6 kids would to cash out and do other stuff with the 400million or something each.... it will be easier to do after selling the club than banking on the the asset to borrow against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'm majorly surprised he even penned his name to it.

Hope no fans buys this open letter bóllóx.

• Advertisement

Meh.

its decently written to be fair, but it isn't possible for any of them to actually apologise for what happened - as if they did consider the fans important, it either would not have happened at all or they would have done something, anything, to convince fans (and others) why it could be good for the future of football.

Actions speak louder than words.

I don't believe Joel or the Glazer family in general are actually commited to United, at least not the football team. the commercial arm maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

He can shove that up his hole and **** off out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't think any apology is going to do much.

The fact is that a cartel of those who own the football clubs that many people cherish dearly can be in a position where they have the power and desire to shake up the game and at the same time fail to 'show enough respect for its deep-rooted traditions'.

You can't simply put that genie back in the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Not a fcucking ounce of sincerity in that open letter obviously written by a PR officer, and a piss poor one at that, disgusting effort. Shove and where sun don't shine comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

"I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans"

What exactly is he "rebuilding", when was trust built before?

Load of PR nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have a great idea, if they want to put it right **** off from our club

****ing parasites

Unsurprisingly the letter is a load of cock, how could it not be?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I want them out even more after reading that PR bullsh*t.

How stupid does he think people are? How do you rebuild trust where there was none?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's 16 years too late for them as owners to want to build trust.

• Advertisement

You just knew he wouldn't have the bottle to show his face with a video apology.

It's obviously easier for the Liverpool fans to forgive if they are. John Henry is not in the same league of douchebag as the Glazers. And he has delivered the management structure and team to end their title odyssey.

Joel just has nothing to point to, or any redeemable features what-so-ever. Also he was vice-president of the Super League, so no doubt joint architect-in-chief of the whole sorry charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Adamocovic wrote: »
    "I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans"

What exactly is he "rebuilding", when was trust built before?

Load of PR nonsense.

Go out and sign Kane and all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Woodward’s going but apparently we have another little snake going around in John Murtough... he was supposedly on the zoom call explaining to the players why the ESL is a good thing.. if that’s true then he’s known about this as long as EW has... he should resign immediately. I’m sickened if that’s the reason Nicky Butt went

I ran Joel Glazers letter through the spellcheck and this is what he meant to say.

To all our crazy customers.......
    Over the past few days our family has witnessed the stubbornness from you lot complaining about our greedy intentions. We've ignored all that, but.....
    You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and although we couldn't care less, we had no choice but to cave in because Chelsea and Manchester City bottled it. Pathetic bastards!
    Although our wounds are raw and I understand that it will take time before we can try with this again, I am personally fecked off with the lot of you, but we rely on your money so we have to make it seem like we're sorry. That Liverpool tosser did it earlier, so I'm reluctantly forced to do the same.
    We continue to believe that Manchester United has the potential to fill our pockets more efficiently, and don't give a **** about the pyramid for the long-term. The Super League was the right way to go about it, but our greedy scheme was exposed.
    The motive was to increase cashflow, but the other five teams bottled it, which leads me to having to write this suck up letter to you worthless lot, because we want you to forget about all this and continue funding our family's many materialist needs.
    This is the world’s greatest football club and we've saddled it with debt, and have now run out of ideas how to fix this.
    It is important for us to put that right. Any ideas?
    Manchester United has a rich heritage, but these values are of negligible concern. The fact that we just shat all over your footballing traditions, shows what we really think about it, as you knew already.
    The pandemic has thrown up so many unique challenges, most of all it's prevented us from separating you from your hard earned cash in return for sitting in our tatty stadium watching the team's continued ongoing inconsistency. We, however, prefer sunbathing in Florida.
    We've never been bothered about communicating with you, our fans, as you know, but because you will always be a source of revenue, and you now see us for the crooks we are, we're forced to say nice things about you which we know you won't believe anyway.
    In the background, you can be sure that we will be taking the necessary steps to perfect our super league plan.
    Right now, our priority is to count the cost of our teams pushing for the strongest possible finish to the season, without you're money funding it.
    In closing, I would like to recognize that it is your money which makes this club so great for us, and we thank you for that.
    Up yours
    Joel Glazer

Go out and sign Kane and all is forgiven.

Kane or not, absolutely ****ing not should all be forgiven. Cut the poison out of the club once and for all.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Kane or not, absolutely ****ing not should all be forgiven. Cut the poison out of the club once and for all.

I was being sarcastic.

I was being sarcastic.

Well damn my broken sarcasm detector :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hococop wrote: »
    And the debt would still be there?

Probably yes.

Cant help bit think of Frank Kelly saying sorry when reading Glazers apology.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Cant help bit think of Frank Kelly saying sorry when reading Glazers apology.

This also comes to mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm finding it difficult to revert back to my pre Jose days of being indifferent when it comes to Spurs results.

His time at United resulted in me taking a real disliking to the guy and great pleasure is had from his failures. I probably should just let that go now, shouldn't I?

Lithium93_ wrote: »

He saud that was the number to talk previously.

Since then project big picture was sent packing and the esl was sent packing. Clubs potential growth doesn't have the because of that, and valuation will be impacted by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

What a start from Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Back to the game for a bit. AV up 1-0 against City after 30 seconds. McGinn scored after a quick free kick.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Whisht will ya!!!!

:mad:

Pipmae wrote: »
    Back to the game for a bit. AV up 1-0 against City after 30 seconds. McGinn scored after a quick free kick.:)

Blow it up Ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There's also £480 million of debt the Glazers have picked onto the club, which they'll leave with the club.
    There's only a few individuals who have that sort of wealth and I don't know if we want to be involved with them.
    The alternative is the sort of financial institution that will probably leverage further debt onto the club and expect a healthy dividend.
    Not at all confident about our immediate or medium term prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's also £480 million of debt the Glazers have picked onto the club, which they'll leave with the club.
    There's only a few individuals who have that sort of wealth and I don't know if we want to be involved with them.
    The alternative is the sort of financial institution that will probably leverage further debt onto the club and expect a healthy dividend.
    Not at all confident about our immediate or medium term prospects.

People have been saying that for almost the past two decades.

I think people need to realise that if you want rid of these types of owners you need to accept that the only way to get them out is for the club to stop being profitable for them - how does one do that - think about it - it's not exactly palatable on many levels.

This nonsense of fan ownership isn't the holy grail either - there are many issues with that model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A group of fans got into the training ground this morning apparently and Ole spoke to them and they left afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Not sure what benefit disturbing the players and manager is going to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not sure what benefit disturbing the players and manager is going to have.

I know what you mean, but perhaps if fans start actively making things really uncomfortable and garnering publicity , something may happen. Maybe not a revolution, but something better then we have, even an open forum between fans and owners would be a slight improvement, even if thats not what we want.

Nothing will change if nothing changes. If people/fans continue to remain apathetic and defeated, then the changes we don't want will just happen quicker. Look at us all getting excited about the Glazers getting a bloody nose, they haven't gone and its not clear if they intend on leaving anytime soon. Nothings actually changed since Tuesday, just things haven't gotten worse . Yet .

This is what I said before, when you corner people who are fanatical about the club, you cannot be surprised if they go for your throat. Fans are going to face up with Ole and the players because they feel they have no other choice. Kind of reminds me of Kevin Keegan outside the ground trying to explain to Newcastle fans why they sold Andy Cole. I think this is actually a good thing, regardless of why they did it, fans actually being able to talk with the manager and players is great IMO (once they dont hurt them of course). There has been such a disconnect between fans and the players/managers over the years. Everything is so forced and organised now, a natural fan led event like this is actually great.

This could easily escalate if momentum builds, but will of started in 2005 when the Glazers split the fanbase and sh*t all over something that is or was the love of many peoples lives. Cause and effect. To be fair I think most people understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

aye they should go and protest at city ground instead. that way it impacts on city players and manager:pac:
    plus would have greater impact for UTD board as would be larger media event and they would be getting some pressure from the City board to sort it out.

They asked Ole why he was able to speak out about Glazer takeover in 2005 and quiet now...

"Joel loves the club".

Get ye gone, Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Do you really expect him to say anything else in public about his boss?

He may privately hate Joel, but he is not going to say that in public no matter how much we would like him to.

I'm not sure it is valid criticism of him. I'm in no way manager Ole's biggest fan but at least he came out and met the fans and discussed with them. He could have hid away and waited for the police to disperse them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Trigger wrote: »

He may privately hate Joel, but he is not going to say that in public no matter how much we would like him to.

I'm not sure it is valid criticism of him. I'm in no way manager Ole's biggest fan but at least he came out and met the fans and discussed with them. He could have hid away and waited for the police to disperse them.

Totally agree with this.

What can Ole say ? Hes sacked if he really pushes against them and then what ? The fact that he was vocal against them in 2005 tells us all we need to know about what he actually thinks of them as owners. It also shows he cares about the club because he tried on some level to stop the takeover, some popular players and a certain manager were not as vocal back then.

I think its better for the fans to have somebody like Ole, on the inside, somebody who really cares about the club, as opposed to a journeyman like Jose or most other managers where its just a job. He can try to influence in ways other managers would not be assed. Would Jose or LVG of spoken to the fans or get security ? Honestly, I do not know, but fair play to Ole for facing up a situation nobody could navigate , its a lose lose for Ole, but he tried.

Trigger wrote: »

Hes in his dream job and no way will he get a job of higher value. Hes saying nothing.

Most would do the same in his shoes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For what it’s worth, people who were at the protest are actively denying the “Joel loves the club” part.

Seems that part might have been tacked on by the Red Issue crowd.

https://twitter.com/j1nder7/status/1385166942516953088?s=19

So Ole can't speak out about the ESL and the crap around it because Joel loves the club.

I guess the City owners don't love the club cause Pep spoke out.
    I guess FSG don't love the club because Klopp spoke out.
    I guess Juve don't love the club cause Pirlo spoke out.
    I guess Milan owners don't love the club cause Maldini spoke out.

Ole saying he cant speak out and criticise the club because Joel loves the club? Nah, thats BS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement