Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2020/2021 - Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The salary cap has been scrapped in leagues 1 & 2 after an appeal by the players union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Cobblers finding old school ways to gift goals. This week we had our goalkeeper pick up a backpass. Lost again. We're fcuked.

By the by, Mancienne was a sub for Burton, something must have gone badly wrong with his career (not bad enough he ended up at Northampton, but pretty bad).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

After years of circling the drain seems like this is the year that Birmingham's luck runs out. Just can't see how they can stay up this year with Karanka as manager. He is tactically out of his depth, and most of the players look like they couldn't care less. Birmingham, another fine example of what can happen a club when no people with football knowledge are running a club. Just such a sad state, when you cant even look forward to Saturday for a match anymore.

Some job Mick McCarthy is doing at Cardiff, up to 7th. I still think the current top 6 will be the same at the end of the season but will be interesting to see if teams like Cardiff, Middlesbrough, Blackburn and Stoke can put together a consistent run.

I won't even try to guess who will go up from League 1, with all the games in hand it could be any of 10 or so teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Brentford wouldn't want to get into the habit of choking when they get in pole position. Choked last year. A slow start this year and last, but when they get on a run a level above anything in the Championship. Should be miles ahead really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    After years of circling the drain seems like this is the year that Birmingham's luck runs out. Just can't see how they can stay up this year with Karanka as manager. He is tactically out of his depth, and most of the players look like they couldn't care less. Birmingham, another fine example of what can happen a club when no people with football knowledge are running a club. Just such a sad state, when you cant even look forward to Saturday for a match anymore.

Birmingham are a joke. A waste of a spot. Second biggest club in Englands second biggest city and do nothing but underachieve. Should be up there with the Villa's, Spurs and Evertons of this world consistently

Ref nearly head butted an Ipswich player in the game v the Cobblers today. No idea what was said but he stuck his head in an Ipswich players face, probably the best thing about the game, where Cobblers failed to score, again. But at least they got a point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not sure they're doomed, they're very much in touch.

Wycombe are definitely gone (and shouldn't have been promoted really), Huddersfield are dropping like a stone and are in real trouble. There's a real dogfight between Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham, Coventry and Rotherham + Huddersfield. Derby are now escaping up the table.

Could not predict anything there.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

dfx- wrote: »
    Not sure they're doomed, they're very much in touch.

Wycombe are definitely gone (and shouldn't have been promoted really), Huddersfield are dropping like a stone and are in real trouble. There's a real dogfight between Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham, Coventry and Rotherham + Huddersfield. Derby are now escaping up the table.

Could not predict anything there.

We all know that anyone can beat anyone in this league - you have to approach every game with commitment. As a Derby County fan, yes we are in good form and playing well (apart from Tuesday night against WW - classic smash and grab) - but you can take nothing for granted in this league.

Birmingham have some tough games coming up. I suspect "Yorkshire Grit" will The Owls and the Millers escape the drop. For me the remaining 2 slots are between 3 teams - Huddersfield, Coventry and Birmingham (alas I think Chris Houghton will pull Forest up the table as well!). I hope Coventry survive - their fans deserve some luck (their owners do not).

Rotherham are the joker. It's hard to know whether their early season form or their current surge is the real one. If they can make this run last, they'll probably be safe.

Coventry's defence is very soft and guilty of a lot of penalties conceded with the step up. They're drawing games they should win and losing games they should be drawing.

In a way Wednesday are in a slightly false position with the points deduction. They're better than their points total. Birmingham are drawing their way into a hole.

They all need to find another 15-20 points from somewhere.

• Advertisement

I know it is not hopeless for Birmingham yet but haven't shown any signs since football came after the lockdown that they can string together enough results. The only positive is that the gap is small at the moment, and some of the other teams down there look pretty hopeless as well at the moment.

I agree about Rotherham, hard to know if they can maintain form. Warne does seem to be getting the best out of them.

83 minutes and Northampton Town lead Milton Keynes
    3-2 in the local derby. Hadn't scored for weeks, there is hope!

87 minutes Milton Keynes equalise.

90 minutes Milton Keynes take the lead. There is no hope.

Please hide all sharp objects.

Birmingham win at Sheffield Wednesday, Coventry comfortable winners against Brentford and Huddersfield hammer Swansea 4-1

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dfx- wrote: »
    Birmingham win at Sheffield Wednesday, Coventry comfortable winners against Brentford and Huddersfield hammer Swansea 4-1

:confused:

Premier League is overrated, they just don't want to get promoted

Some strange results at the bottom and top of the table. Norwich have the experience and the consistency to get automatic from here, but would prefer to see some different teams get promoted.

Probably wont get a more perfect football script this season than James Coppinger, 40 years old playing in a kit he and his kids designed, comes off the bench and scores a free kick in stoppage time to get Doncaster a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Some job Mick McCarthy is doing at Cardiff, up to 7th. I still think the current top 6 will be the same at the end of the season but will be interesting to see if teams like Cardiff, Middlesbrough, Blackburn and Stoke can put together a consistent run.

Cardiff 2-0 up away to Bournemouth, some job Mick is doing tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Big Mick has Cardiff in one of the play-off positions tonight after taking over a team headed for relegation after losing 6 in a row what a great job he is doing at the moment with them.

Big Mick has Cardiff in one of the play-off positions tonight after taking over a team headed for relegation after losing 6 in a row what a great job he is doing at the moment with them.

Signed a new two year deal today. Honestly when he was initially appointed until the end of the season, I thought it looked a real uninspiring appointment. A sign that Cardiff wanted to just finish mid to bottom half of the table, and start again in the summer. But he has had some impact on the team. Should be some battle between themselves, Reading, Bournemouth, and Barnsley for the two last playoff spots.

Jimmy Floyd doing some job since he came back in at Burton Albion, they looked dead and buried but look good to survive now with the form they’re in.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Jimmy Floyd doing some job since he came back in at Burton Albion, they looked dead and buried but look good to survive now with the form they’re in.

I think it was either the weekend or midweek Quest highlights show that said he has a 63% win percentage over his two spells with Burton, which is frankly ridiculous. I only see the highlights so dont know the style of football but going from not being able to keep a clean sheet to several in the last few weeks is some achievement. League 1 is so hard to call at the top and the bottom, you start to write off a team but then they surprise you like Northampton during the week.

Cobblers beating Portsmouth 4 nil at half time. Played fantastic stuff. Even if they go down Brady deserves the job full time, playing some decent football, and having a go, breath of fresh air stuff.

This was our first:
    https://twitter.com/LukeThoday/status/1368228311931949062?s=20

I think it was either the weekend or midweek Quest highlights show that said he has a 63% win percentage over his two spells with Burton, which is frankly ridiculous. I only see the highlights so dont know the style of football but going from not being able to keep a clean sheet to several in the last few weeks is some achievement. League 1 is so hard to call at the top and the bottom, you start to write off a team but then they surprise you like Northampton during the week.

And just beat the league leaders today. 7 wins out of 9 games. I think they had won 2 games all season before he took over. Crazy.

Johner wrote: »
    And just beat the league leaders today. 7 wins out of 9 games. I think they had won 2 games all season before he took over. Crazy.

He was dire at Northampton, though being honest a lot of managers are made to look very ordinary by the Cobblers. Really strange how people just fit certain clubs. Burton is a good club, and he seems like a decent bloke too.

5 wins on the bounce for Burton and JFH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know its the conference, but still

Yeovil player Lee Collins died suddenly.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56604703

• Advertisement

Well promotion nearly confirmed for Norwich. Most likely Watford at this stage to go up as well with their recent form. Some downturn in form for Brentford and Swansea the last few weeks, have gone from automatic promotion contenders to now in a battle for their playoff spots. Probably 4 from 5 (Brentford, Swansea, Barnsley, Reading and Bournemouth) for the playoff spots. Too much to do for Cardiff, Millwall or Middlesbrough to get into contention.

Down at the bottom some big results, Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe have given themselves a fighting chance. Poor few days for Rotherham but they still have all the games in hand, so can't rule them out getting away from it. Birmingham and Coventry scrapping it out to get ahead of each other, have managed to draw Derby and Huddersfield back into the mix, and maybe even Blackburn. Still plenty of games left, so lots of interesting turns ahead. From a Birmingham perspective, 7 points from 12 against top 6 sides is an impressive start for Lee Bowyer. The performances haven't been perfect, but definitely the team is more organised and has some confidence and is prepared to fight for their place in the division. Hopefully can stay up at this stage, and have some stability going forward.

Cardiff absolutely hammered 5-0 at then bottom Sheffield Wenesday as the form turns for McCarthy. Pearson was furious about Bristol City's performance at Coventry calling players out for being disinterested. They've already lost more games in 14th place than Sheffield Wednesday in 23rd.

Huddersfield losing 7-0 to Norwich has them right in it. Huge part of the season now with Rotherham to play four games in 11 days to catch up, three of them against Huddersfield, Coventry and Birmingham.

Then it will be clear..

Huge win for Coventry, goes a long way to keeping them up. Rotherham still have 2 games in hand but four points off Derby, so will be a challenge to stay up. The match with Birmingham on Sunday is crucial for both clubs. Hopefully a win for Birmingham will bring us well clear of the drop. Derby and Blackburn will also be interested, a win for Derby will bring Blackburn into the relegation mix.

Cobblers doomed I think. 21st now and still making as many individual mistakes and a goalkeeper who really isn't good enough unfortunately. Still, maybe in the big shakeup to follow the 6 clubs being kicked out they might hang on to League One status.

Congratulations to Norwich going straight back up! They have looked a class apart from the rest of the league, to be fair they did manage to retain most of their PL squad so they had a big advantage there. Hopefully they can make a better go of the PL next time because watching a team that is too good for the championship but not good enough for the PL gets boring quickly.

Some huge results at the bottom of the table. Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe practically relegated now, very poor from both of them to drop points from winning positions at the weekend. Coventry, Birmingham and probably Huddersfield as well should be safe now after their wins. Still depends on Rotherham's games in hand but their form doesn't indicate that they would win both of them. So it looks like it is between Derby and Rotherham. From the clips and discussions I have seen about Derby, they aren't playing too badly they just can't put the ball in the net.

Hopefully for the sake of entertainment there is still something to play for on the last day of the season as the automatic promotion and playoff spots seems fairly certain at this stage, barring a turn around in form for Reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Derby going to go down I'm afraid shocking poor again this evening..I was hoping when Rooney took over it might change, once Bielik got injured they fell apart..Awful team to watch.
    I wouldnt be surprised it Rooney goes and they try something for the next few games, maybe a miracle worker.
    Shocking poor !!

Great win for Northampton, typically every other team around them also won. So I think they're doomed.

Great win for Northampton, typically every other team around them also won. So I think they're doomed.

Really tough results to take for Northampton, Swindon and Rochdale after great results against playoff chasing sides. Unfortunately Wimbledon and Wigan have timed their runs well. All over for Joey Barton's Bristol Rovers, that appointment hasn't worked out at all. His managerial reputation will take a hit, he was being touted for Championship jobs at the start of the season but can't see any clubs taking the risk on him now.

Barnsley in the playoffs. It has been a pretty underwhelming finish to the season at the top, no team has put up the late challenge to Watford for automatic or Barnsley/Swansea. Reading faded, Stoke, Middlesbrough, QPR a long way back.

It looks to be down to Derby and Rotherham now for the last spot to go down. Derby are in a deep rot of form.

Cobblers down with a whimper. Curle left Brady with an absolutely woeful squad to work with and they got what they deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,819 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Brian Barry Murphy relegated with Rochdale. Wonder will he be kept on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭passatman86

Rooney managing a stinker with Derby. Another loss today

Cobblers down with a whimper. Curle left Brady with an absolutely woeful squad to work with and they got what they deserved.

Tough to take for Northampton, was always a challenge particularly as for the last few months it has really have been a battle of 6 clubs for 2 spots to stay up. Not that many would have predicted that Wigan would be able to put together a run to stay up.

At least there will be some final day entertainment for the last playoff spots in L1.
    Rooney managing a stinker with Derby. Another loss today

It has been pretty abject for the teams down the bottom for the last few weeks, if there was any justice Wycombe would stick 15 goals by Boro on the last day of the season and stay up. I still think Derby will stay up but will probably be a 0-0 draw with Sheff Wed to keep them up. Still big question marks over Rooney as a manager, but the off-field issues give him some leeway and I imagine he will still be the manager next season if they stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,819 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nasty collision between Waghorn and post there:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Nasty collision between Waghorn and post there:eek:

He was brave but should of scored.
    God Derby are poor, no drive in them at all,( apart from Shinnie) do they not realise what is at stake, FFS !!

Dont think I can watch too much more, even at this stage..

• Advertisement

Results not really going Derby's way
    Not great to have relegation on Rooney's cv

Edit derby 1.0 down at half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Results not really going Derby's way
    Not great to have relegation on Rooney's cv

Edit derby 1.0 down at half time
    Not great? You love to see it though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Second half of Derby's game still hasn't started. Rotherham's game is already nearly 15 minutes in.
    If Rotherham win, Sheffield Wednesday are down regardless so Derby would have 10-15 minutes against a team with nothing to play for.

Second half of Derby's game still hasn't started. Rotherham's game is already nearly 15 minutes in.
    If Rotherham win, Sheffield Wednesday are down regardless so Derby would have 10-15 minutes against a team with nothing to play for.

Well derby 2:1 up
    Rooney must have had a great half time team talk lol

2-2 now. Defensive horror show from Derby.
    Rotherham just missed a sitter to make it 2.
    Say it all the time, love the Championship when West Ham aren't in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

3-2 Wednesday now. Only been watching since the second half but this game is mad.

No way. Final day of the season always has many twists and turns

Last day of the season relegation scraps are brilliant to watch as long as your team aren't involved or if they are involved they stay up at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Now a Derby penalty!

And it's 3-3 with a little over ten minutes to go.

• Advertisement

Equaliser for Cardiff. Derby staying up as it stands.

Advertisement