Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jp McManus and John Magnier Investment Success

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

im not gay you fool haha

Sure your not.... I believe ya 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

This is a futile thread, it never was and never will be in the public domain the investments made by these gentlemen and anything else is pure speculation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

NoteAgent wrote: »
    JP should be going down as one of the greatest financial traders ever (up there with Druckenmiller, Soros, Tudor Jones, etc) but people would rather gloss over his genius and put his success down solely to his tax situation.
    Fun fact: You have to actually make gains in order to be taxed in the first place.

Don’t think Jp is the brains of investment in financial, led more by Dermot and company .

Jp and Magnier horses and who they know !

There just a good team it’s all about the money

U can’t knock these guys especially Magnier, I would say there privy and shrud when comes to knowing the money markets , god only knows what they have made out of brexit
    The news from British government u can be sure is known in the proper circles long before we here it in the news !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Don’t think Jp is the brains of investment in financial, led more by Dermot and company .

Jp and Magnier horses and who they know !

There just a good team it’s all about the money

U can’t knock these guys especially Magnier, I would say there privy and shrud when comes to knowing the money markets , god only knows what they have made out of brexit
    The news from British government u can be sure is known in the proper circles long before we here it in the news !

Yes and no.

I think the story goes that JP was convinced by Desmond and Joe Lewis (Currency Trader/Owner of Tottenham) to move into currencies because of his understanding of risk/reward that came from Gambling.
    There are interviews with him in the early 90's when he first moved to Geneva that explains his whole set up (trading screens etc.). Desmond is in the interview as well basically saying that Currencies are ideal for Mcmanus. If you search for it in Pressreader.com you should be able to find it.

JP is definitely the real deal.
    Old article below says he was mentioned in the Top 30 FX traders for the year:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/mcmanus-banks-25m-on-forex-bets-25955012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

JP is a legend in the mid-west. But I would love to know where he got his initial outlay to start trading currencies. You need a decent chunk of change to do damage. Rumour is he was the bagman for Dermot Desmond for a few years but would even that be enough to start trading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

A couple of devaluations when Albert Reynolds was in his pomp and Joe Lewis was one of the wealthiest men in europe is a good place to start a search on trying to understand how a few of these guys got their investment strategy correct.

A couple of devaluations when Albert Reynolds was in his pomp and Joe Lewis was one of the wealthiest men in europe is a good place to start a search on trying to understand how a few of these guys got their investment strategy correct.

yeah I read that as well but didn't want to volunteer it first. it would definitely make sense, but obviously nobody has proof. and where's the link between the government and JP?

One must remember this was a time when the irish pound had parity with the english pound and the minister for finance had to notify the chancellor of the exchueqer of any valuation change and the arrangement was reciprocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

JP is a legend in the mid-west. But I would love to know where he got his initial outlay to start trading currencies. You need a decent chunk of change to do damage. Rumour is he was the bagman for Dermot Desmond for a few years but would even that be enough to start trading?

He played backgammon and poker against Arabs. They be drunk and flush with the money. He doesn't drink. Cleaned up.

Himself and Magnier was involved with Manchester United. Even though he is an Arsenal fan. Sold on and profit.

YFlyer wrote: »
    He played backgammon and poker against Arabs. They be drunk and flush with the money. He doesn't drink. Cleaned up.
    Do you really believe that? If true, Why was he playing with the arabs in the first place, where did he get the cash for the table stakes? And the winnings were enough capital to start trading currencies?
    YFlyer wrote: »
    Himself and Magnier was involved with Manchester United. Even though he is an Arsenal fan. Sold on and profit.

Yeah he definitely did well there but that was in 2005, long after he'd established himself. I'm asking where he got his initial outlay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Do you really believe that? If true, Why was he playing with the arabs in the first place, where did he get the cash for the table stakes? And the winnings were enough capital to start trading currencies?

Yeah he definitely did well there but that was in 2005, long after he'd established himself. I'm asking where he got his initial outlay

I think he had help from a certain Mister Donovan!

J P was a layer and a backer,he was probably the best informed punter/bookie in ireland who made certain he was on good terms with whoever might be useful to him.

I remember well the guy he worked with when betting on the big coursing meetings,this guy was probably the person who knew more than anyone in the country on greyhound racing and had his own formbooks on greyhound racing when nobody had them.

This approach showed that JP left little to chance when punting and he also was well placed to lay horses using the best information available to him.

There have been various theories advanced usually in pubs as to where he got his money in the early years,most of those theories are off the wall and belong in the realms of fantasy.

Advertisement