Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A drill for jobs around the house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

loyatemu wrote: »
    my experience with Lidl/Aldi is that the batteries don't last and then you can't get replacements.

Last Aldi hammer drill I bought:
    Isn't powerful enough to drill concrete (admittedly this is a 1970s house with very hard walls)
    the bits work themselves loose from the chuck
    battery doesn't last long and it only came with one.

probably worth spending a little more if you're going to be doing a lot of DIY.

I don't think you can refer to Lidl/Aldi in the same breath as far as tools go. Aldi are possibly ahead on food but Lidl's tools and equipment are far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Seems to be a lot of people with interest and opinions on tools.

I find this guy very interesting. His videos cover a wide range of topics and his style manner is refreshing in a world of 'influencers' who are paid to promote and only tell you how good something is.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvgS71fU12Mbx-w18Chu_Sg9v6loipEFO

Any guy who uses a CNC machine to open a cardboard box is worth paying attention to in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

While I'm not a fan of Aldi tools at all they have started using a single battery system.
    Also if your bit is coming loose you are not using the right tool for the job.
    You need an SDS drill not one with a key/keyless chuck.

I've drilled the same walls with a wired B&D drill that has a key chuck and have had no problem with bits coming loose - it's just a bad chuck on the Aldi drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've drilled the same walls with a wired B&D drill that has a key chuck and have had no problem with bits coming loose - it's just a bad chuck on the Aldi drill.

Life's too short to be using key chucks, they're dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

if you get the wireless ones get a second battery,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Seems to be a lot of people with interest and opinions on tools.

I find this guy very interesting. His videos cover a wide range of topics and his style manner is refreshing in a world of 'influencers' who are paid to promote and only tell you how good something is.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvgS71fU12Mbx-w18Chu_Sg9v6loipEFO

Any guy who uses a CNC machine to open a cardboard box is worth paying attention to in my view.

He's skookum all right, but I don't think he's ever reviewed Lidl or Aldi tools.

He did do a boltr on that little black drill IKEA sell, if I remember correctly, but only for tits and pickles, mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

While I'm not a fan of Aldi tools at all they have started using a single battery system.
    Also if your bit is coming loose you are not using the right tool for the job.
    You need an SDS drill not one with a key/keyless chuck.

At the moment they are even selling the batteries on their own for 20e

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

mloc123 wrote: »
    At the moment they are even selling the batteries on their own for 20e

where is that, in aldis or somewhere else,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

The lidl battery pack is €30, battery and charger

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

my experience with Lidl/Aldi is that the batteries don't last and then you can't get replacements.

Last Aldi hammer drill I bought:
    Isn't powerful enough to drill concrete (admittedly this is a 1970s house with very hard walls)
    the bits work themselves loose from the chuck
    battery doesn't last long and it only came with one.

probably worth spending a little more if you're going to be doing a lot of DIY.

https://www.kompernass.com/index.php?route=product/search

Seen the website on the instruction manual from a Lidl item I bought recently. Seems to have a fair few replacement parts for DIY items from the German discounters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A note on 20V battery stuff. Don't be thinking its any better than 18V as they are identical.

18V batteries charge to 20V and if you put a test meter on them they read about 20V give or take. When you use the battery and start draining current from it the voltage drops to 18V. In the US DeWalt sell their 18V XR batteries as 20V XR batteries they are both the same its just a marketing ploy the same with Lidl Parkside 20V battery tool systems.

I've seen a few of the Lidl 20V tools now and for the money they are all surprisingly good even the angle grinder (short battery life) and the reciprocating saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've a little workshop out the back and use my tools quite a bit and the new Aldi ferrex drill outperforms my DeWalt xr 18v. I was using a spade bit recently and the DeWalt wouldn't do it and kept stopping and getting very hot. The ferrex didn't struggle at all. True story.

I've the cordless Lidl SDS drill and it has gone through anything I've throw at it.

The only tool I'm not 100% satisfied with and wish I'd bought better is the Lidl bandsaw.

From DIY the Lidl and Aldi stuff is great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

iamtony wrote: »
    I've a little workshop out the back and use my tools quite a bit and the new Aldi ferrex drill outperforms my DeWalt xr 18v. I was using a spade bit recently and the DeWalt wouldn't do it and kept stopping and getting very hot. The ferrex didn't struggle at all. True story.

I've the cordless Lidl SDS drill and it has gone through anything I've throw at it.

The only tool I'm not 100% satisfied with and wish I'd bought better is the Lidl bandsaw.

From DIY the Lidl and Aldi stuff is great value for money.

Is this the one?
    Aldi drill

I see Aldi UK batteries are 20 volt. Would they be compatible with the ones sold here?

I bought a Tesco brand one reduced from e30 (far too much in the first place) to e9.99 5 years ago and it did fine for very light DIY dtuff. THe battery is now shagged and I'm on the lookout for something else for around the house. I've heaiver drills for other stuff.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Is this the one?
    Aldi drill

I see Aldi UK batteries are 20 volt. Would they be compatible with the ones sold here?

I bought a Tesco brand one reduced from e30 (far too much in the first place) to e9.99 5 years ago and it did fine for very light DIY dtuff. THe battery is now shagged and I'm on the lookout for something else for around the house. I've heaiver drills for other stuff.
    That's a bit different. Mine was 20v and has hammer action which I don't think that one does.
    The pictures are a bit misleading on that. It shows the drill with a traditional battery in the first pic and then the rest it had a cylinder shape battery that integrates into the handle.
    It's say it's fine if you don't need the hammer action for masonry stuff.

That's a bit different. Mine was 20v and has hammer action which I don't think that one does.
    The pictures are a bit misleading on that. It shows the drill with a traditional battery in the first pic and then the rest it had a cylinder shape battery that integrates into the handle.
    It's say it's fine if you don't need the hammer action for masonry stuff.

Yes I see what you mean. The first pic has a rectangular battery and the last pic has a cylindrical one.

If it's the cylindrical type I'll leave it. The rectangular ones are universal with other tools. I was hoping to get a cordless angle grinder at some stage and alternate batteries,

The hammer action is not an issue. I've other drills for that I just want something for screws and an odd pilot hole. Capability with the the angle grinder would be a bonus too.

Yes I see what you mean. The first pic has a rectangular battery and the last pic has a cylindrical one.

If it's the cylindrical type I'll leave it. The rectangular ones are universal with other tools. I was hoping to get a cordless angle grinder at some stage and alternate batteries,

The hammer action is not an issue. I've other drills for that I just want something for screws and an odd pilot hole. Capability with the the angle grinder would be a bonus too.
    yeah I've the ferrex lawnmower, hedge trimmer, drill, impact gun, multitool and angle grinder all running off 2 of the bigger 20/40v batteries and it's all great. I see they have a cordless circular saw coming soon but it's the older workzone brand and I don't think it's the same battery which is a shame as I've been waiting for the ferrex one to pop up. I think they are shifting old stock or something.

I had a look in Aldi today. They had a drill/battery but no charger for 49.99. I was i there last week and there were batteries and chargers piled sky high.

I had a look in Aldi today. They had a drill/battery but no charger for 49.99. I was i there last week and there were batteries and chargers piled sky high.

The one you linked to isn't out until tomorrow and has a charger included for €39.99.
    The batteries and chargers you seen were the ones I got for the ferrex range they released. I'm waiting for them to release other tools that don't come with a battery and are cheaper to add on to my collection bit I've been left waiting unfortunately. Everytime I see DIY coming soon I get excited but im disappointed everytime so far.

Sorry it took me so long to get back/ I decided against buying that drill as it was 16 v and the supplied charger looked completely different to the ones on sale otherwise.

Today I bought a battery and charger for 40e total and they are waiting for a drill and angle grider to slot into. Today they only had a circular saw and a cooling fan.

Maybe next week

Just a warning. I bought the ferrex nail gun last week and thought the battery would fit seemlessly into my growing ferrex collection. Turns out the Samsung battery they use now is completely different from the 20/40v ones that was released with the original ferrex stuff.

• Advertisement

Just a warning. I bought the ferrex nail gun last week and thought the battery would fit seemlessly into my growing ferrex collection. Turns out the Samsung battery they use now is completely different from the 20/40v ones that was released with the original ferrex stuff.

Really? I picked up the mini circular saw last week... which is interchangeable with my older 'workzone' impact driver

Really? I picked up the mini circular saw last week... which is interchangeable with my older 'workzone' impact driver
    I've no workzone stuff so can't check if my ferrex nail gun with the Samsung battery fits that stuff which seems to be the case if it fits your older workzone stuff but I can confirm that the 20/40v ferrex batteries definitely are not compatable with the latest ferrex tools with Samsung 18v battery's.

I've no workzone stuff so can't check if my ferrex nail gun with the Samsung battery fits that stuff which seems to be the case if it fits your older workzone stuff but I can confirm that the 20/40v ferrex batteries definitely are not compatable with the latest ferrex tools with Samsung 18v battery's.

That is annoying, they have a hedge trimmer next week that I planned to pick up on the assumption the 3 batteries I have will also fit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That is annoying, they have a hedge trimmer next week that I planned to pick up on the assumption the 3 batteries I have will also fit it.

Take your own battery with you and try it out in the store?

my3cents wrote: »
    Take your own battery with you and try it out in the store?

Yeah, will do... or just buy it and return it if they are not compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have two drills one is a Bosh 24V SDS rechargeable. Excellent drill. I got it through work years ago. Had to get the battery cells replaced two years ago it cost 80 euro.

I had a small parkside I think 14V for 10 years it gave up a while back and I replaced it with one.of the new 20V and I got the charger and battery. I also picked up the battery grinder and a spare battery just a few weeks ago.

All in all the Parkside drill will do 70-80% of my household DIY. It great if assembling flatpacks. The Bosh is no use for that. You will never need a hacksaw with a battery grinder

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have two drills one is a Bosh 24V SDS rechargeable. Excellent drill. I got it through work years ago. Had to get the battery cells replaced two years ago it cost 80 euro.

I had a small parkside I think 14V for 10 years it gave up a while back and I replaced it with one.of the new 20V and I got the charger and battery. I also picked up the battery grinder and a spare battery just a few weeks ago.

All in all the Parkside drill will do 70-80% of my household DIY. It great if assembling flatpacks. The Bosh is no use for that. You will never need a hacksaw with a battery grinder

Slava Ukrainii

The telescopic hedge trimmer released on the 25th is body only and takes the 20/40v "universal activ energy" batteries so your in luck if you have them as you won't need to pay for a new battery. If you have workzone or the Samsung Ferrex branded batteries they won't fit.

The telescopic hedge trimmer released on the 25th is body only and takes the 20/40v "universal activ energy" batteries so your in luck if you have them as you won't need to pay for a new battery. If you have workzone or the Samsung Ferrex branded batteries they won't fit.

Cheers. I actually picked up one of the 20/40v batteries yesterday and when I got home found out it does not fit the 18v stuff. So I guess they have 2 battery standards now.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I actually picked up one of the 20/40v batteries yesterday and when I got home found out it does not fit the 18v stuff. So I guess they have 2 battery standards now.
    Well at least all you need to get next week is the trimmer and a charger.

Advertisement