Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Competition Listings

Options
  • 06-06-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a website that has all or most of the open competitions around the country on any given day listed?

Very frustrating trying to find which club has opens on what day. It's like they don't want my money ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

davegilly wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a website that has all or most of the open competitions around the country on any given day listed?

Very frustrating trying to find which club has opens on what day. It's like they don't want my money ;)

https://www.golfnet.ie/open-fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That doesn't have even a small percentage of them. There are opens in every day but when I do a search on there only a few come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That doesn't have even a small percentage of them. There are opens in every day but when I do a search on there only a few come up.

A lot of the time its the clubs themselves not releasing their list of opens in a timely manner to the GUI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

https://brsgolf.com/opencomps/ireland

Obvs only the club's that use BRS but it's the best of all options imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I don't know what you're looking for but using the above gui link I' ve just been offered the choice of 22 different types of competition at 422 clubs in 32 counties from 6/6/2018 to 6/7/2018.

i suppose there just ain't pleasing some people.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I don't know what you're looking for but using the above gui link I' ve just been offered the choice of 22 different types of competition at 422 clubs in 32 counties from 6/6/2018 to 6/7/2018.

i suppose there just ain't pleasing some people.

That's great, really helpful. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

Thanks for all the replies, it seems that there are a few different ways to find them but none that had them all.

Wouldn't it be nice to wake up Wednesday morning, nothing on so decide to play a bit of golf. Open phone and do a search for all the opens available within 20 miles, book in, pay, head off and play.

Wouldn't an app that works like GolfNow be fantastic for this? Choose by price, location, distance etc? Or do any of the ways mentioned above allow this? I'm new to golf and handicaps so not sure of what is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Thanks for all the replies, it seems that there are a few different ways to find them but none that had them all.

Wouldn't it be nice to wake up Wednesday morning, nothing on so decide to play a bit of golf. Open phone and do a search for all the opens available within 20 miles, book in, pay, head off and play.

Wouldn't an app that works like GolfNow be fantastic for this? Choose by price, location, distance etc? Or do any of the ways mentioned above allow this? I'm new to golf and handicaps so not sure of what is available.

I generally use GolfNet and it's rare I won't find a suitable Open on whatever weekday I choose, I must say. I live Dublin Southside and generally search 'Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow, Meath, Louth'.

It is the Clubs themselves who have to list the 'Opens' on Golfnet.

In this day and age you would think this is rule 1.0 for Clubs to ensure people know when they have Opens on. Too much competition out there not to be doing it.

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »
    It is the Clubs themselves who have to list the 'Opens' on Golfnet.

In this day and age you would think this is rule 1.0 for Clubs to ensure people know when they have Opens on. Too much competition out there not to be doing it.
    Spot on. From a noob like myself it who is unsure of the correct avenues to find stuff, the clubs sure don't make it easy to find anything out!! Some are great, opens listed, prices listed, active on social media, course updates every morning etc. Others are back in the stone ages, impossible to find out the simplest thing online about them. It's very frustrating. And from personal experience, if I or my buddies can't book a round/open simply and easily online then we are going elsewhere. Surely clubs are aware of this in the modern day?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

slightly off topic, to enter an open is it just a case of putting your name down and turning up to play with whoever, have never played in any comp outside of my own club and was wondering is it something one can do on a half day on their own

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

seamie78 wrote: »
    slightly off topic, to enter an open is it just a case of putting your name down and turning up to play with whoever, have never played in any comp outside of my own club and was wondering is it something one can do on a half day on their own

yes that's it.

OP, did you try downloading the "mygolfopens" app? you can list all open days in that as well.

not all are on it but still a good few to choose from .

Off topic:
    See there's a stokes competition in Corballis today, nightmare!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Off topic:
    See there's a stokes competition in Corballis today, nightmare!!
    I played the open stableford there yesterday - 25 points! My best score ever. Anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Open Week in Rosses Point runs from Sat 3rd August to Sun 11th August. €50 entry.

Booking available here: https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php

Also, chance to win some freebies: https://twitter.com/CountySligoGC/status/1150858585716482048?s=20

Advertisement