Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total War: Three Kingdoms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Nice choice of location/era - something new for TW at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well now ye all have an excuse to go and watch Red Cliff

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Looks good.
    Based on the trailer they're definitely carrying over the embedded hero unit mechanics from the warhammer games.
    Matched Combat?

I love the total war games but do you think they're releasing too much?
    Warhammer 2 in September, Empire Divided in November, Thrones of Britannia (probably) in Feb or march of 2018, Three Kingdoms in Autumn.
    Add to that Tomb kings in January and all the other DLC they'll be releasing through the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

First TW I likely won't get, due to my general apathy/dislike of China and it's history. Just as well the others are in production as well at the same time.

Spring 2019 is the tentative release date now. They've also confirmed that the game is influenced by Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the 14th century novel), so will be a more romanticised view of events. However, the game will also contain a Classic Mode that gives a "much more grounded recreation of the period for players who prefer a historically authentic Total War experience".

CA Blog piece.

New character trailer;

• Advertisement

Next character/in-engine trailer. Gives a quick peak at the campaign map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

First TW I likely won't get, due to my general apathy/dislike of China and it's history. Just as well the others are in production as well at the same time.

For me it's the crappy Dynasty Warriors" overtone.

I've actually been thinking about the china setting.
    It's a huge market and, with steam launching in China, this could be a great money maker for CA.

Oh it's an absolute no brainer for them.

Just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Remouad wrote: »
    I've actually been thinking about the china setting.
    It's a huge market and, with steam launching in China, this could be a great money maker for CA.

Chinese govt would probably hold that game development up unless they could leave their mark on it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Chinese govt would probably hold that game development up unless they could leave their mark on it.

Nothing they could do about the development, but they could stop it being sold in China if they chose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Kiith wrote: »
    Nothing they could do about the development, but they could stop it being sold in China if they chose to.

That's what i mean. Surely a game like this would be snapped up in China. Massive market. But without central govt approval, you've no hope. Could be a gold mine for sales.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's what i mean. Surely a game like this would be snapped up in China. Massive market. But without central govt approval, you've no hope. Could be a gold mine for sales.

Bit of a catch-22 there alright. If it propagated on the black market you'd probably lose most of the revenue.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

All very quiet in here given that the release is tomorrow. I know the time period and hero mechanic have put some TW fans off. Personally, I had said I'd wait for the game to receive a few patches before even considering buying, such has been the state of TW games lately always.

I was particularly worried given how many new mechanics they were adding to the campaign side of things, with diplomacy in particular getting a major overhaul. Just more opportunities for something to be bugged. But reviews have actually been favourable! I'll still be waiting for feedback from players, but I've got fingers crossed. Anyone here going for it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I pre-ordered Thrones of Britannia. Not making that mistake again!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Whilst I own ever single total war game and dlc I am still unsure about this title. To be honest I haven't looked at much gameplay in a few months but I have so many games to play right now regardless.

I don't like the hero system implemented in a historic title but I know Chinese history is full of holes and mythology. I'll keep an eye on it in the coming weeks and might pick it up once I feel I'm bored of the games I'm currently playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

killanena wrote: »
    Whilst I own ever single total war game and dlc I am still unsure about this title. To be honest I haven't looked at much gameplay in a few months but I have so many games to play right now regardless.

I don't like the hero system implemented in a historic title but I know Chinese history is full of holes and mythology. I'll keep an eye on it in the coming weeks and might pick it up once I feel I'm bored of the games I'm currently playing.

The game has 2 modes: Classic Mode (predominantly based on the historical text Records of the Three Kingdoms) and Romance of the Three Kingdoms Mode (inspired by the 14th century historical epic of the same name).

The heroes in romance mode are like in warhammer and are single units, while in classic mode they're like any older total war game and are a full unit with bodyguards and no super powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I pre-ordered Thrones of Britannia. Not making that mistake again!

Was that game ever sorted out, tempted to pick it up in a sale at some point

pawrick wrote: »

They did patch it to add some things like traits but to be honest, all of its glaring flaws are still there IMO. Might be worth a fiver in a sale but that'd be it. I succumbed to temptation with the pre-order partly because there was a donation to charity involved. A shame as I immensely enjoyed the Britannia expansion to Medieval II back in the day.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

pawrick wrote: »

Not worth full price but well worth it on sale in my opinion. I got 30 hours of game time out of it and may or may not revisit it in the future so I feel like I got value for my money.

There are some interesting, but ultimately easily exploitable and unbalanced mechanics in ToB. It's very easy overall, but still enjoyable - I liked the attempt at a more CK2 type of family politics situation, and also liked the story elements they tried to introduce. Like people have said, it's very flawed, but it's still worth a tenner, say. Plus, not a massive number of games you can control Irish factions (even if it's just Meath).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

installing it now, reviews seem good so far.. hope it's as good as Warhammer was

Best ever TW diplomacy, according to PC Gamer anyway.

Enjoying it so far, it's a lot more complex than TW:WH and a lot LOT better than TOB, also i'm being attacked by HE MAN! :D

3E177E60354AF5E27DFF25CDA6C64785EEC16B5F

By the power of Grayskull :eek:

Keep us posted, dude. I'd respect your opinion on this type of game more than a lot of YouTube reviewers!

Battles themselves are slightly different - no guns that i've seen or artillery, so it's back to basics like in the original shogun all those years back.

Arrows and Crossbows seem to be very powerful against most units and less useful against champions and specific heavy units which can "shieldwall" or otherwise tortoise up and block them.

The usual rules apply for battle, unit - counterunit. ie: cavalry is countered by spear infantry, archers by cavalry, and spears by flank attacks or heavy units.

It seems slower in actual, but it's actually really fast when horses start galloping and infantry sprint, literally the tide of battle. Found myself pausing the game a few time in early battle to save an entire unit from being flanked and wiped out.

Armies work differently too, your general commands six units in battle, and has a retinue of other champions who command 6 units too, each one can be "levelled up to fulfil a different role" cav, skirmisher, melee etc..and they have their own personalities which pretty much means the cheeky feckers can get annoyed with some of your decisions and go rogue.

Time between turns has massively improved over WH2 - though i'm only about 20 turns in, it's fairly much 10 seconds of waiting and the occasional diplomacy popup, which has been done very nicely so that while it's still intrusive, it's not excessively so.

I dont have much time to play it this weekend but that's the initial jist of it, it's a beautiful looking game too, and comes in a fairly low 16gb size.
    I got it on cdkeys for just under 40quid, and at that it's definitely worth a punt.
    Few hundred hours worth of play there.

Oh yeah, the soundtrack is absolutely brilliant as are the sound effects and you can Duel other champions and generals in battles.. fckin awesome! :D

Eyeing up a few upgrades before I can play, but think I'll pull the trigger so as to get the Yellow Turban content. Although, fair play to CA, you didn't have to pre-order to get that - think it's available for free for a week after launch. Anyway, all sounds good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Having an issue where i have two of my armies side by side but enemy attacks and seems to only engage one of them ? My second army is not comign up as reinforcement.

• Advertisement

Having an issue where i have two of my armies side by side but enemy attacks and seems to only engage one of them ? My second army is not comign up as reinforcement.

Sounds like the enemy is using lightning strike.

Advertisement