Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well this got a stealth release; EDF5 coming out on this month! (had hear a July 11th release but D3 removed exact date from Steam page)
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1007040/EARTH_DEFENSE_FORCE_5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Resident Evil 3 HD mod - looks pretty decent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hard Driver failure in PC, pain in the arse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that's your problem right there, that's not where it goes

Glebee wrote: »

Fcuk me. I have a bunch of stuff that I absolutely cannot lost. You've just scared the **** out of me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fcuk me. I have a bunch of stuff that I absolutely cannot lost. You've just scared the **** out of me!

Office 365 is so handy. 1TB OneDrive backup and Microsoft Office for 6 people for 100 euro is great value. Even if you never use office it's worth it for the OneDrive back up. If you split the cost with a few others it's nothing.

Had nothing important on the hard drive so no worries there. Use google cloud to back up photos although i do have an external dive with stuff on it.

Xbox 1 vs ps4 if you were given a choice???Which system would be better for a 10 yr old who plays a bit on my pc. There was an old ps4 lying around the house but it was never really used for some reason. Id pick xb1 for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Xbox 1 vs ps4 if you were given a choice???Which system would be better for a 10 yr old who plays a bit on my pc. There was an old ps4 lying around the house but it was never really used for some reason. Id pick xb1 for some reason.

Xbox One due to game pass, instant library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Find out what his / her friends play on, if anything, and go with that. Exclusives won't matter too much to a 10 year old.

• Advertisement

d31b0y wrote: »
    Find out what his / her friends play on, if anything, and go with that. Exclusives won't matter too much to a 10 year old.

A good split between both consoles really, I guess the days of swapping games are sort of gone with digital download.I cant remeber when I last bought a boxed game on PC.. I think were going with XBox. At least now he will get to see just how good PC is compared to consoles:D:D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Switch, followed by PS4 for me. Most of the good XBox exclusives will be available on PC now, so not much point if you have a gaming pc.

Kiith wrote: »
    Switch, followed by PS4 for me. Most of the good XBox exclusives will be available on PC now, so not much point if you have a gaming pc.

He had been looking at a Switch alright but I tried to sway him away from it I guess, unit is expensive, games are expensive. You know yourself.

get him a raspberry pi and stick loads of emulators on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Lo all,

Just picked up a pc i can game on for the first time since i used to play Counter Strike 1.6, so its been a while. How can i get on some irish discord servers? Playing Apex and will be playing PUBG within the next day or two.

Andrew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Lo all,

Just picked up a pc i can game on for the first time since i used to play Counter Strike 1.6, so its been a while. How can i get on some irish discord servers? Playing Apex and will be playing PUBG within the next day or two.

Andrew

There ya go: https://discord.gg/xdWpuqA

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

nix wrote: »

Awesome, now to figure out how it works. Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Piranha just announced that Mechwarrior 5 is now Epic exclusive. They're not even honouring the already taken sales with Steam keys, it's Epic or nothing.

https://mw5mercs.com/faq

I've requested a refund for my pre-order, I'm voting with my money that they're so desperate for.

At least they are offering refunds. Guess i'll pick it up when it's not an exclusive in a years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kiith wrote: »
    At least they are offering refunds. Guess i'll pick it up when it's not an exclusive in a years time.

Don't think they can not offer refunds.

Also it's not like with console exclusives, they don't release it a year later at full price. I can see a lot of games just not bother, the game will have a years worth of a price drop and then the larger platform cut from Valve and then having to pay Epic for the engine.

Think my pc is starting to show its age and is starting to give problems. Can i pick up a decent gaming rig for less than €700?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Think my pc is starting to show its age and is starting to give problems. Can i pick up a decent gaming rig for less than €700?????

Set up a thread on the PC building forum and someone will help you out. Include the specs of your current machine.

Other than that, AWD IT have decent deals on pre builts.

Or if your building yourself you could probably get a ryzen 2600 and a 1660 for reasonable enough money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Could just slap in a beefy GPU? Had my 2500k going for 7 years doing just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Depends on what CPU the poster currently has in there. Some processors are starting to really show their age now.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Could just slap in a beefy GPU? Had my 2500k going for 7 years doing just that.

I did the same but it was time last year to upgrade it to the 2700X and a Vega 64

• Advertisement

My gaming pc is officially dead. Its almost 10 years old and upgraded graphics card a few years ago but its been creaking recently. Hard drive failed recently so I got a new hard drive in it last week but other major problems have arose and i think the techical term is that its fcuked.. dont have the funds at the moment to invest in new gaming rig so i think after at least 21 years of pc gaming im switching over to xbox....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

My gaming pc is officially dead. Its almost 10 years old and upgraded graphics card a few years ago but its been creaking recently. Hard drive failed recently so I got a new hard drive in it last week but other major problems have arose and i think the techical term is that its fcuked.. dont have the funds at the moment to invest in new gaming rig so i think after at least 21 years of pc gaming im switching over to xbox....

Happened to me last year. My PC of 5 years **** the bed ( motherboard fried. I think the cooler broke but I was neglecting it for some time so it was my fault really)
    Have been playing Xbox ever since.
    Then I finally got the funds to buy a new PC last week and I had to return it. Hardware fault and to top it off the motherboard I chose the b450 tomahawk is apparently the worst one for the new ryzen CPUs .

Sometimes consoles are just easier to deal with haha.
    It was slightly soul destroying after a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

That's why I went with a gaming laptop :)

The portability has been a superb benefit, but also it's just nice when everything works.

It's not upgradeable, but I look at it as an expensive console

False alarm, faulty RAM. Were back b1tches...... Scrrew you Xbox..

• Advertisement

I've gotten a couple of free games with a graphics card but i have no real interest in them. Can i easily give someone the keys or does the fact they came with a card complicate matters.
    Bethesda client and EGS if that makes a difference

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've gotten a couple of free games with a graphics card but i have no real interest in them. Can i easily give someone the keys or does the fact they came with a card complicate matters.
    Bethesda client and EGS if that makes a difference

It varies. Some of them require you to use the provided key on a separate website first, and that checks for their hardware while doing so.

The unhelpful but only realistic answer is that you'll need to research how the specific retailer key system works to see how feasible it is.

Spear wrote: »
    It varies. Some of them require you to use the provided key on a separate website first, and that checks for their hardware while doing so.

The unhelpful but only realistic answer is that you'll need to research how the specific retailer key system works to see how feasible it is.
    Cheers Spear, looks like nvidia have them locked to the card. Miserable shítes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

OSI wrote: »
    That’s to stop the likes of the key resellers getting them from shady ****ers in the retailers.

Would say even legitimately bought cards would be an issue at times, becoming less of an issue now but imagine all the keys that crypto miners would have had at peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I was able to give away World War Z and Division 2 that came with AMD card with mine but it was fairly painful, required installing an app on my pc to check if I had an AMD card before I could login to the site to redeem the code. Once I could do that it was fairly straightforward.

Cant find anything to play at the moment, nothing is holding my attention....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Is there a consistent way of adding EGS games to to steam? info on this seems a bit spotty. I mostly play PC games with a laptop hooked up to a TV so Big Picture mode is really useful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

megaten wrote: »
    Is there a consistent way of adding EGS games to to steam? info on this seems a bit spotty. I mostly play PC games with a laptop hooked up to a TV so Big Picture mode is really useful.

There is a way to add non steam games to steam. No idea if it will work with EGS games but it should. A quick google should give you a guide.

Cant find anything to play at the moment, nothing is holding my attention....

I'm currently addicted to Dota Underlords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

megaten wrote: »
    Is there a consistent way of adding EGS games to to steam?

Yeah, it's straight forward to do, I've been meaning to do it for a while as well.

In Steam go to Games/Add Non-Steam game to my Library
    Browse for game .exe's in your Epic Games folder location for each game;

487531.jpg

Some are in odd locations as you can see.
    Add all your exe's and they will look like this in Steam;

487532.jpg

The game names can be edited by right-clicking in Steam and go to Properties.

Most games are DRM-Free but "What Remains of Edith Finch" & "Subnautica" needs a "-EpicPortal" command in "Set Launch Options" to stop them trying to run Epic Launcher.
    For "Transistor" I had to use "/c=.. -AUTH_LOGIN=unused" in "Set Launch Options".

Everything worked perfect for me except for This War of Mine which won't launch via exe, despite what PCGW says, but I'll figure it out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Moon54 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's straight forward to do, I've been meaning to do it for a while as well.

In Steam go to Games/Add Non-Steam game to my Library
    Browse for game .exe's in your Epic Games folder location for each game;

Some are in odd locations as you can see.
    Add all your exe's and they will look like this in Steam;

The game names can be edited by right-clicking in Steam and go to Properties.

Most games are DRM-Free but "What Remains of Edith Finch" & "Subnautica" needs a "-EpicPortal" command in "Set Launch Options" to stop them trying to run Epic Launcher.
    For "Transistor" I had to use "/c=.. -AUTH_LOGIN=unused" in "Set Launch Options".

Everything worked perfect for me except for This War of Mine which won't launch via exe, despite what PCGW says, but I'll figure it out. :)

Thanks, I knew some extra parameters were needed but didn't know what they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Moon54 wrote: »

That's brilliant, thanks. I'm not bothered about seeing them in Steam but being able to run them without going through the launcher would be superb.

Also it looks like you've more or less stolen my Epic catalog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

have rebel galaxy outlaw on the download now looking forward to jumping into that

Homeworld 3? Good god i hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, where do you upload your Screenshots for forums these days? I used to use Photobucket, until they decided to keep your photos ransom and ask you to pay money to even get them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Guys, where do you upload your Screenshots for forums these days? I used to use Photobucket, until they decided to keep your photos ransom and ask you to pay money to even get them back.

I use boards itself.

Add a attachment but make sure to embed it as it does not do that automatically.

imgur.com

If you use chrome, this add on is very handy https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imgur-uploader/lcpkicdemehhmkjolekhlglljnkggfcf?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cheers lads, made an Imgur account. Uploading now. :D

Advertisement