Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get grub (set) screws?

Options
  • 19-07-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I'm looking for a grub screw. I'm not sure of the exact size but I already tried a 6mm one and I think thats probably about 2mm too big. I've tried all the big DIY shops around Galway but no luck. I was looking on Amazon and I could get a pack of mixed sizes. Ideal. And it was only £2. However the cost of shipping to Ireland was £24!! All I could find from any Irish online sellers were packs of 200 - 250 grub screws in 1 size. So again thats not really an option for me.

Would anyone here have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Could you use a normal machine screw/bolt to find your size, then at least you know what you're ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could get ones on Amazon and get them delivered via Parcel Motel. If you have any other stuff you want from Amazon that qualifies for free postage and can get your total order over £20 you could even get free postage as far as the PM depot in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Alternatively look on Ebay. Often their postage rates to Ireland are more reasonable than on Amazon for small items. Here for example ...

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/220pcs-Stainless-Steel-Allen-Head-Socket-Hex-Set-Grub-Screw-Assortment-Cup-Point/223034313504?hash=item33ede18b20:g:LG0AAOSwbM5a1xa4#shpCntId

Only £3.99 postage to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You want a local engineering supplies shop - not a DIY shop. Or find a supplier for stainless nuts and bolts.
    A couple of local phone calls and you'll be directed to the right place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

The dublin nut & bolt company in Ballymount should have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

SOS fasteners in Craughwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Where you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

TED in Ballymount

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Cut a standard machine screw and saw a flathead grove across the top you'll have a flathead grub screw. Not ideal but it'll be quickest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ffs don't go to Amazon for something like grub screws. Shop local!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

Thanks to everyone so far who has given a suggestion.
    cletus wrote: »
    Could you use a normal machine screw/bolt to find your size, then at least you know what you're ordering

Good idea! I'll give that a go.
    SOS fasteners in Craughwell

I'm in Galway city so I'll definitely give them a try. Do you know them? Is it a shop that I could just head out to during business hours?
    Ffs don't go to Amazon for something like grub screws. Shop local!!!

Ffs?? Did you bother to read my post or did you just see the word Amazon and decide to get offended? I literally mentioned in my post about having been all around Galway city looking for these and so far no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bugatti wrote: »
    Ffs?? Did you bother to read my post or did you just see the word Amazon and decide to get offended? I literally mentioned in my post about having been all around Galway city looking for these and so far no luck.

Relax kid.

If you know anyone working in any of the med-tech companies, ask them if they'd ask someone in the workshop. They'll have drawers with 1000's of these and if you only need a replacement for a missing one it'll save you a trip to Craughwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Bugatti wrote: »
    I'm looking for a grub screw. I'm not sure of the exact size but I already tried a 6mm one and I think thats probably about 2mm too big. I've tried all the big DIY shops around Galway but no luck. I was looking on Amazon and I could get a pack of mixed sizes. Ideal. And it was only £2. However the cost of shipping to Ireland was £24!! All I could find from any Irish online sellers were packs of 200 - 250 grub screws in 1 size. So again thats not really an option for me.

Would anyone here have any suggestions?

If it's for a door handle, most locksmiths will have a few grub screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Relax kid.

If you know anyone working in any of the med-tech companies, ask them if they'd ask someone in the workshop. They'll have drawers with 1000's of these and if you only need a replacement for a missing one it'll save you a trip to Craughwell.

Serious crimes unit will nab them and they'll all be screwed.
    Think it through, FFS kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Caulfield industrial has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Sos fasteners (091)846078 give them a call not sure of opening hours they have a good selection havent been there in a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Caulfield industrial has them.
    Caulfields do stock these, have bought from them before, have a shop in ballybane Ind. Est. And in Oranmore.

Advertisement